Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

clipping. - Visions of Bodies Being Burned (October 23) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Rowan5215, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

new album that was apparently recorded alongside There Existed an Addiction to Blood. holy shit I'm excited

"In the horror genre, sequels are perfunctory. As the insufferable film bro Randy explains in Scream 2, “There are certain rules that one must abide by in order to create a successful sequel. Number one: the body count is always bigger. Number two: the death scenes are always much more elaborate—more blood, more gore. Carnage candy. And number three: never, ever, under any circumstances, assume the killer is dead.” Last Halloween, Los Angeles experimental rap mainstays Clipping ended their three-year silence with the horrorcore-inspired album There Existed an Addiction to Blood. This October, rapper Daveed Diggs, and producers Jonathan Snipes and William Hutson return with an even higher body count, more elaborate kills, and monsters that just won’t stay dead.

Visions of Bodies Being Burned is less a sequel than it is the second half of a planned diptych. It turns out, Clipping took to the thematic material of horrorcore like vampires to grave soil. Before the release of There Existed an Addiction to Blood, Clipping and Sub Pop Records divided the material up into two albums, designed to be released only months apart. However, a global pandemic and multiple canceled tours pushed the release of the project’s “part two” until the following Halloween season.

Visions of Bodies Being Burned contains sixteen more scary stories disguised as rap songs, incorporating as much influence from Ernest Dickerson, Clive Barker, and Shirley Jackson as it does from Three 6 Mafia, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, and Brotha Lynch Hung. Clipping’s angular, shattered interpretations of existing musical styles are always deferential, driven by fandom for the object of study rather than disdain for it. Clipping reimagine horrorcore—the purposely absurdist hip-hop subgenre that flourished in the 1990s—the way Jordan Peele does horror cinema: by twisting beloved tropes to make explicit their own radical politics of monstrosity, fear, and the uncanny.

The album features a host of collaborators: Inglewood’s Cam and China, fellow noise-rap pioneers Ho99o9, Tortoise guitar genius Jeff Parker, and experimental LA drummer Ted Byrnes. The final track, Secret Piece, is a performance of a Yoko Ono text score from 1953 that instructs the players to “Decide on one note that you want to play/Play it with the following accompaniment: the woods from 5am to 8am in summer,” and features nearly all of the musicians who appeared on both albums."

2. Rowan5215

first single is out too

3. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Oh my godddd I love There Existed... this is just great news.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Rowan5215 like this.
  4. Rowan5215

it's one of my favourite albums of the past couple years, if this lives up damn

5. Let’s go!!!!

6. PauLo Aug 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

Damn, somehow missed this announcement!

That feature list, tho. You can't get four more different acts than Cam & China, Jeff Parker, Ted Byrnes and Ho99o9.

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Hype.

8. thread

Rowan5215 and SpyKi like this.
  9. also this shit is fire

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

absolutely fuck yes. Still listen to Blood regularly, wasn't expecting another album so soon

sawhney[rusted]2 and Rowan5215 like this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Holy shit Say The Name goes hard at the end there

Rowan5215 likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

they have a four-pack of this, Addiction, Splendor & Misery and CLPPNG on their site for a terrific price. vinyl, CD or digital

13. Olyphantastic

Purchased. Even with shipping and currency conversion, it's the same price or cheaper than buying the records individually in stores here.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

same lol, and I don't think a single shop in Australia would have a copy of a clipping CD so I'm willing to pay the shipping

only way I could be more hyped for this is if "Story 6" was on it

Olyphantastic likes this.
  15. Rowan5215

their live album came out today as well, I think it's only RSD thus far but going up on bandcamp at some point

clipping feeding us this year

16. very enlightening thread about the song and how much the Issac Hayes estate fucked them over

Rowan5215 and I Am Mick like this.
  17. PauLo

43% Burnt

FFS was just coming here to post that, ya bastard!

Drew Beringer likes this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

that's fucked

19. Rowan5215

sampling law is so fucking ridiculous lol

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s daft, but I think it’s better than it was. Hence why the Isaac Hayes estate owns so much of a Geto Boys song!

Rowan5215 likes this.
  21. Rowan5215

it's maybe better than it was, but it's still nine times out of ten screwing creatives out of their money and giving it to the labels

22. PauLo

43% Burnt

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just meant that the process of clearing a sample is a lot more straightforward than it was... this song aside haha

23. JM95

Trusted

Here for this. TEAATB has continued to grow on me and I really liked it to begin with.

24. Olyphantastic

25. one of my favorite tracks on the album!

JM95 likes this.