Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Jun 7, 2020.

1. PauLo Jun 7, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

In an effort to reach some new fans, to celebrate the beauty that is hip hop and to maybe even broaden a few horizons that seemed daunted by the many classics the genre has, a couple of us on the hip hop thread decided that every week we are going to take a classic album and discuss it and hopefully help it gain some more fans. And even if that doesn’t happen, we can just nerd out over our love of some hip hop classics!

Each week, we’ll be selecting an album from the 80s, the 90s the following week and then the 00s after that and repeat.

This week, we decided on this tour de force...

A6663A5C-36BE-4189-ACAA-59E97C25513C.jpeg

With the important and vital black lives matter protests happening all over the world, this album seemed like an obvious starting point. Sound off below and let’s get this discussion started!

@Henry to pin

2. The Lucky Moose Jun 7, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

When I was a young teenager, I introduced a metal head who later became my best friend to Hip Hop by giving him Enter The 36 Chambers. He then quickly proceeded to become a Hip Hop fanatic in general and Public Enemy Stan in particular. One of my greatest achievements.

Anyway, this whole album is hard, but how crazy is the one-two punch of Bring the Noise and Don't Believe The Hype?

PauLo, riotspray and abcdefg123 like this.
  3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

this is my first time really listening to Public Enemy and it's just so funny to me that for the longest time I only knew Flavor Flav as that guy from Flavor of Love

riotspray likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Excited to listen. I’ve actually never checked out PE. Glad we’re doing this like we discussed in the thread.

riotspray likes this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Will do my listen tomorrow. Hype for this!

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I’ll listen to this tomorrow. Haven’t listened to it in YEARS.

7. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

LFG. stoked for this to start up

8. This idea and thread rule

FTank and bradsonemanband like this.
  9. chris

Trusted Supporter

Hell ya, glad this is happening

10. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Excited for this, I’ve always meant to listen to Public Enemy.

11. Here for this!

12. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Love this idea

13. abcdefg123

Regular

The first four Public Enemy albums were revolutionary. They fell off hard after that but the early albums are enough to consider them legendary.

14. The Lucky Moose Jun 7, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 8, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

They made some good albums here and there after that. That one album they made with Paris, “Rebirth of a Nation”, was cool and that album they released for free a few years ago was nice too.

Also this song from 2007 is the most underrated Public Enemy song:

15. PauLo

43% Burnt

Public Enemy were one of those groups that I knew and I knew/liked some of their songs, but I never listened to their albums. Probably due to my laziness and only knowing a little about hip hop history. But once I took my time to properly educate myself, Public Enemy were one of the first acts I properly seeked out and this album in particularly. I remember listening to it and thinking "well, I already know most of this" haha. It was easy to understand why its deemed a classic. Innovative production, important and sadly still relevant lyrics. Even Flav isn't annoying on it haha

A superb album.

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Also wanted to add that you shouldn't be afraid to say if you didn't like it. Just don't be like "this sucks lol" :-)

riotspray and Jake W like this.
  17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is a really cool idea. I've been committing myself over the past couple weeks to listen to more hip hop and educate myself on the classics, so I'll be following along for sure.

FTank and Steeeve Perry like this.
  18. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

not my favorite PE release but a classic for absolute sure. these guys are legends

19. jdr2187

jdr2187

Excited to give this album a listen for the first time in a while. This song was actually my introduction to PE.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ll listen on my walk later. I love this idea.

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Queued up and ready to go after my morning meeting.

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m researching them and daaaaang, they got a lot of material to go through.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

THPS2 definitely got me into Public Enemy

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Flav kills it on Cold Lampin. It's been so long since I heard him rap, I almost forgot that he could do this

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hell yeah. in on this.