Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Car Seat Headrest - Making A Door Less Open (May 1, 2020) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ItsAndrew Feb 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2020)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh hell yeah!

Tracklist:
    1. Weightlifters
    2. Can’t Cool Me Down
    3. MADLO
    4. Hollywood
    5. Martin
    6. Hymn (remix)
    7. Deadlines (Hostile)
    8. What’s With You Lately?
    9. There Must Be More Than Blood
    10. Deadlines (Thoughtful)
    11. Life Worth Missing
    12. Famous

dadbolt and JBoch like this.
  2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Exactly the news I needed this morning!

3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Already submitted my pre-order. Pumped!

4. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Been waiting for this

5. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Can't Cool Me Down is on Spotify

6. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Just realized that it was this time last year I saw them play. They def played this single. Feels like a lifetime since the Twin Fantasy release.

7. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

The live version is better. This is awkward and lacks energy. Meh.

dadbolt likes this.
  8. Serenity Now

9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Okay

10. Serenity Now

This one's going to be different. Here's the write-up on it from the pre-order site:

Making A Door Less Open, the new album from Car Seat Headrest and the first set of brand-new songs since 2016’s Teens Of Denial, is set for release on May 1. The album will be available on vinyl and CD featuring distinct tracklists and mixes for each product.

Created over the course of four years, Making a Door Less Open is the result of a fruitful “collaboration” between Car Seat Headrest, led by Will Toledo, and 1 Trait Danger, a CSH electronic side project consisting of drummer Andrew Katz and Toledo’s alternative persona, “Trait.” To realize this, the band recorded the album twice: once live with guitars, drums and bass, and once in a MIDI environment using purely synthesized sounds. During the mixing process, the two approaches were gradually combined using elements of each, with additional overdubs.

In this way, Making A Door Less Open sees Toledo embarking on new and imaginative roads to songwriting and recording, placing emphasis on the individual songs, each with its own “special energy,” rather than attempting to draw a coherent storyteller narrative through the album as he has in the past , resulting in his most dynamic and open-ended work to date.

Comprised of Will Toledo, Andrew Katz (drums), Ethan Ives (guitar) and Seth Dalby (bass), Car Seat Headrest has either released 11 or three albums to date, depending on the way you look at it. A prolific songwriter, Toledo took his moniker from making early recordings in the private environment of his family’s car, releasing a dozen self-recorded and produced albums on Bandcamp and building a tight-knit following. Toledo has since gone from an empty five-seater to selling out tours and filling festival main stages. 2015’s Teens of Style was a collection of songs from his early years. The band’s proper Matador debut, Teens of Denial, followed in 2016 and catapulted them to overnight commercial success and widespread critical acclaim, as well as highlighting Toledo as a prodigious lyricist. 2018’s Twin Fantasy, an epic re-imagination of an album originally released in 2011, demonstrated newfound scale, depth and ambition.

LP Tracklist

1 Weightlifters
    2 Can't Cool Me Down
    3 Hollywood
    4 There Must Be More Than Blood
    5 Hymn
    6 Deadlines
    7 Martin
    8 What's With You Lately
    9 Life Worth Missing
    10 Famous

CD Tracklist

1 Weightlifters
    2 Can't Cool Me Down
    3 Hollywood
    4 Martin
    5 Hymn (Remix)
    6 There Must Be More Than Blood
    7 Deadlines
    8 What's With You Lately
    9 Life Worth Missing
    10 Famous
    11 Deadlines (Alternate Acoustic) CD Only Bonus Track
    12 Hollywood (Alternate Acoustic) CD Only Bonus Track

11. ItsAndrew Feb 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2020)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Tour dates are popping up with Twin Peaks and Ron Gallo each on some dates.

12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Pre ordered

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Will talking about the album:

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

15. Jim

Trusted Supporter

How’s the song? I can’t listen yet

radiodead likes this.
  16. radiodead

Trusted

Song is great. It has a lot of cool parts. It feels as one, but is almost bursting at the seams like it wants to be a song suite. It’s really nice.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. radiodead

Trusted

Do you have to get a shirt with the vinyl? I’m not a big shirt guy tbh.

18. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Nope, I got just the pink vinyl through Matador.

radiodead likes this.
  19. Serenity Now

This is cool. Where is it from though?

20. Serenity Now

21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Serenity Now likes this.
  22. Serenity Now

Oh damn. That was NOT what I was expecting his mask to look like after reading that blurb. haha.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

the song is like my least favorite parts of the twin fantasy rerelease but it's not bad. a lot of gloss for a song that sounds p spare and simple for most of it, but ig based on the write up they were focusing more on some of the rhythms? and it's p long for not much happening lyrically (imo). the write up sounds cool and at least they're taking some risks ig

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

"To realize this, the band recorded the album twice: once live with guitars, drums and bass, and once in a MIDI environment using purely synthesized sounds. During the mixing process, the two approaches were gradually combined using elements of each, with additional overdubs."

this makes a lot of sense, I felt like I could hear where the guitars would go in some places, but it didn't really feel like anything took their place (unless that was supposed to be the vocal melody's job?) so it just feels like a lot of empty space but w/e you can dance to it

25. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

into it