Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

52 Films By Women • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

I've seen the argument that JB got a bad rap and is actually quite sensibly put together. After liking the invitation more than expected it seems plausible to me

2. Malatesta

Oh, and Fish Tank is excellent. Saw that on someone's list

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

What other Akerman films are essential? I've only seen Jeanne Dielman, No Home Movie and Almayer's Folly. The Captive and D'est were probably going to be the next two I'd watch.

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Already been listed but yeah, all the love to Jennifer Kent and The Babadook.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I've got Kathryn Bigelow's earlier work on my personal list to get to in the near future. Near Dark and Point Break, specifically

7. Malatesta

She's actually got a really large and varied filmography, so there are plenty of directions to go. Hotel Monterey, Je Tu Il Elle, South, and News from Home are all well worth your time and a little easier to find than some of her more obscure work. If you're interested in her life, I Don't Belong Anywhere is a wonderful documentary about her filmed in a semi similar style and very illuminating and touching as well. But for her own works, those that you listed and the three above are definitely good to check out.

8. Malatesta

Yeah I think we did lol. But I defend that movie tooth and nail, particularly for its feminist themes

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Fat Girl is one of the better films of the 21st century. No one has portrayed the struggles women have with expressing their sexuality in a male-dominated world as well as Breillat has.

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Point Break is okay. It's been a bit overpraised by people who want to retroactively make her a career-long auteur. Strange Days is pretty damn great though.

11. Malatesta

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The Invitation, and American Mary too. Not to mention classics like Trouble Every Day, American Psycho, etc.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Trouble Every Day is the best horror film of the 21st century!!

13. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I read the whole plot. It just seems frightening to me

14. cshadows2887

Always surprised there isn't more hype around Ida Lupino and Dorothy Arzner. Talk about trailblazing. Arzner made her first well-regarded movie in 1929? And Lupino beat a lot of old Hollywood men to the punch on the transition from actor to director.

I haven't seen movies from either yet, to be fair. But I always expect to hear more about them as people become more attuned to female directors.

15. Malatesta

It is frightening, but it's also a really thoughtful feminist analysis of how desire manifests itself and harms women

16. Malatesta

True true, was just thinking and reading on Lupino. Haven't seen either's work as well yet actually

17. cshadows2887

I've had The Bigamist and The Hitch-hiker for like years, too, and just haven't thought to put them on.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Well what makes you say that

19. Malatesta

20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I already read that but I don't see anything positive about it I guess or why it would be helpful, or really why you feel so strongly about it. It's just not something I can really understand without feeling uncomfortable. I'm just not sure what your deal with the movie is, to put it lightly, haha.

21. Malatesta

i don't know if it's supposed to be a positive or comfortable movie. i just think it's very incisive and thoughtful in its analysis of female sexuality in a world of male dominance as well as a nuanced and touching portrait of their sisterly relationship.

22. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I made it roughly half way
    I definitely need to venture outside my comfort zone a bit more
    the good thing is I think I'll be able to do this without watching any movies I've seen in previous years

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I did it!
    All the movies were previously unseen except for Frozen which is a bonus movie because I was at 59 and that was driving me crazy having it not be an exact 60
    I think this is the only year I'll do the full 52 because it's by nature restrictive and there was weeks it was hard to find time but I'm definitely planning on being more aware about watching movies directed by women, POC, and LGBTQ people; it's been interesting seeing how many of my favorites were by cishet white men

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I just did a quick tally and i guess I watched about 110 films directed or co-directed by women this year. Some shorts, some rewatches. This was without actively aiming for anything, but I watched a lot of Chantal Akerman, Agnes Varda, and Danielle Huillet this year.

Finishing the year with Vera Chytilova’s Fruit of Paradise so that’ll bump it up one more.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.