Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

5 Seconds Of Summer - Calm (March 27, 2020) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by midnightxtaylor, Feb 5, 2020.

1. midnightxtaylor

Regular

Calm track list
    1. Red Desert
    2. No Shame
    3. Old Me
    4. Easier
    5. Teeth
    6. Wildflower
    7. Best Years
    8. Not In The Same Way
    9. Lover Of Mine
    10. Thin White Lies
    11. Lonely Heart
    12. High

beachdude likes this.
  2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wow No Shame is a heater, definitely my favorite song I've heard by them

My friend is just losing her shit about the tour with Band Camino haha

beachdude likes this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I’m digging the singles from this a lot. Very cool that The Band Camino is opening for their tour too!

4. michael_gatto

Trusted

Definitely miss the old sound, but love the new sound a lot. Youngblood was incredible, so I'm very much looking forward to this! Wish their tour was hitting Austin, haven't seen them in a few years.

beachdude likes this.
  5. midnightxtaylor

Regular

6. midnightxtaylor

Regular

7. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I'm really enjoying all these songs, but it feels like I've heard too much before the album is out.

8. Chris1024

Regular

Wildflower fucking slaps. I can’t stop listening. They just keep getting better, I don’t get it.

michael_gatto likes this.
  9. michael_gatto

Trusted

Just dropped on Spotify, Red Desert is a jam. All the singles have been fantastic too, super pumped for this.

10. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Tbh 'Old Me' & 'Not In The Same Way' are the only songs that I love here. Both have a lot of energy and personality that remind me of their pop-punk roots. At a first listen, it feels like a lot of filler.

The fact that they really feel the need to censor the words "cum" & "fuck" on the uncensored version of Wildfire is so lame. Like if they know it's a bad line, why not just write something else? No Shame is also kinda weird, the diatonic shit just doesn't do it for me. The melodies always sound kinda cool, but just aren't satisfying and end up feeling cheesy.

Teeth & Easier still slap even if they're kinda Imagine Dragons-y. Huge pop choruses there.

Best Years is a bit sparse instrumentally, but it's a fine Indie ballad. But then by the time we get to Lover Of Mine it feels like already treaded water.

Thin White Lies is super cool though, that beat is pure heat. Pretty good lyrically. Lony Heart takes a while to kick in, but once it does it's pretty cool, but by then I'm sick of all the fucking sad songs.

Red Desert is a pretty mediocre opener, that chorus borea me to death. High is one of the best songs on the album from a songwriting perspective, but I just keep waiting for an explosive chorus and it just never comes.

Maybe this band just isn't for me anymore, cause I'd honestly give this record a 6/10. Wish I liked it more, but this weird sad low-key alt-pop just doesn't do it for me, I just don't have any emotional stakes in it because the lyrics are so vague, and the vocal melodies are so boring to me.

Oh well, I'll still probably go see them live still.

11. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I already knew I was going to enjoy this album based on half of it being released, but wow, I genuinely love it beginning to end. Also, the Instagram Live they did tonight was the best thing I've seen/been a part of since being stuck in my home.

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wildflower is unreal good. This whole album has honestly caught me off guard. They really stepped it up quite a bit in my opinion. I thought Youngblood was decent, but I'll go back to this way more I think

13. Chris1024

Regular

14. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I don't think they're trying to censor anything either, in Not In The Same Way one of the lines is "we fuck, we fight, then you call me a psycho."

I can't wait until touring starts up again, because I have to see these songs live :anguish:

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

My students asked me to listen to this so I guess I will tomorrow

16. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I doubt anyone else here will love this as much as I did, but dammit I hate these boys for always making me laugh so hard at their stupid humor (it has been much appreciated these days, though).

17. huntercrunch

Regular

This is my least favorite album by them by a pretty significant margin. There's just so many slow, not catchy songs that just don't play to their strengths as a group imo. I'd still rather hear this than most stuff they play on the radio, but outside a couple songs I don't see myself coming back to this one endless times like their first 3 albums.

I get that they didn't want to be pigeon-holed into being a "pop-punk" band, but something about this new direction just doesn't work for me. Youngblood was different, but still had enough of that charm, energy and personality from their old stuff, and really great hooks that it still worked for me.

This one just doesn't cut it for me for the most part. I'm glad their other fans seem to be digging it, and they seem like genuinely good guys so I'm happy that they're satisfied with their work.

One more thing... Luke's voice is great (and I can take or leave Calum tbh), but Michael not getting any vocal parts on this album is criminal. His voice is really good. What's the deal with that?

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  18. midnightxtaylor

Regular

While I agree I wish Michael and Ashton had more vocal moments like they used to, I will fight anyone who comes for Calum.

19. huntercrunch

Regular

The band wouldn't be the same without any of the four guys, and he's a great writer, but I just don't love Calum's voice. It's not bad by any means, just a matter of taste.

To be fair, I think he did great on Wildflower, which is probably my favorite from the new album, and I think it's way better than if they just had Luke sing it.

I just miss Michael's voice a lot, and if Calum got 1 song, Michael should too. I could see him singing Teeth, or Best Years and killing it.

20. midnightxtaylor

Regular

They just posted a new version of the album on their store with this bonus song and an autographed insert and now I'm annoyed that I preordered the vinyl weeks ago (which still hasn't shipped btw).

21. michael_gatto

Trusted

I got my vinyl in today. Pretty excited. Got the Target exclusive, looks nice but the packaging almost looks fake

22. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Calum has the most interesting voice of the four. It's a shame they're just using Luke as the frontman these days.

23. michael_gatto

Trusted

Agreed. I defi
    Couldn't agree more, Luke has a good voice but I wish they would still switch on and off between the 4 of them.

24. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I get it from the sense that he's probably the most quote-unquote sellable as the lead singer. But damn mix it up guys.

25. midnightxtaylor

Regular

During their merch bundle madness yesterday trying to get the #1 album, I ended up also buying the hoodie + bonus song, and the autographed vinyl insert + album commentary. Definitely wasn't planning on buying anything extra since I can't exactly work right now, but whatever.

Also, Michael was on IG live doing a DJ set for over two hours last night, and had a bunch of people at his house (including Calum). Come on, guys :thumbdown: