Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Proper. - I Spent the Winter Writing Songs About Getting Better (July 26th 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Jul 26, 2019.

1. [​IMG]

You might remember Brooklyn band Great Wight, who released the fantastic The Suburbs Have Ruined My Life at the start of 2018, then a few months down the road changed their name to Proper. - well, they're back, and surprise dropped their second album today following a couple of singles, one released as recently as last week.

1. Reprise
    2. Curtain's Down! Throw in the Towel
    3. No Loitering
    4. Bragging Rights (feat. Willow Hawks)
    5. Trill Recognize Trill
    6. A$AP Rocky Type Beat
    7. New Years Resolutions
    8. IDFWA (Art School)
    9. Lime Green Jheri Curl
    10. Fucking Disgusting
    11. White Sheep
    12. Dekalb Ave
    13. Toby
    14. I Spent the Winter Writing Songs About Getting Better

Full stream - FFO Modern Baseball, Front Bottoms, Say Anything, The Wonder Years (come for the title reference, stay for the music). This is fucking amazing.

2. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

This album is downright incredible and it won't get the recognition it deserves for some time.

Carrow likes this.
  3. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

Genuinely might be my record of the year so far. I will not let this thread be buried.

4. The last song on this is so good and reminds me of my favorite moments on the early TWIABP albums.

Built to Fail likes this.
  5. Carrow Jul 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2019)
    Lime Green Jheri Curl and White Sheep speak to me on a deep emotional level and I can relate to a lot of the experiences Erik's singing about on this thing. It's SO good.

6. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Any band with a Wonder Years reference (in the title and track name no less) immediately gets my attention. Will listen later.

BenSmith94 and Carrow like this.
  7. Anthony_ Jul 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Is this band named after that Into It. Over It. album?

8. Not sure, they might be!

9. Anthony_

Ah, gotcha. Just, wouldn't be great if they were, is why I asked.

10. Oh yeah, the whole IIOI situation and Evan being trash.

11. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

my first listen of this was reallllll good.

12. Anthony_

Yeah. The period in name leads me to believe that it is named after the IIOI album, too. I get that changing a band's name isn't the easiest thing in the world to do but I feel like it would be warranted following the all the stuff with Evan. Especially for a band like this that hasn't done much yet.

13. The irony being that they've already changed it.

333 GANG likes this.
  14. 333 GANG

ACAB

If it is named after Evan’s record, it’s a real bad look considering they changed their name to Proper. just last year.

Seems likely it is considering TWY title reference. There was a lot of crossover between those two fanbases at one point.

Carrow and Anthony_ like this.
  15. Anthony_

When? Recently? Because if they changed it to Proper. after the Evan stuff happened that's also not great lol

Oh wow. Yeah. Not good.

333 GANG likes this.
  16. Might just not be aware, it wasn't an especially high profile story. Or maybe it's an incorrect assumption about the name, could be either. And they changed it last April after originally being known as Great Wight.

17. Anthony_

If it is a reference to the IIOI album, idk, anyone who's a big enough fan of an artist to name their own band after that artist's most popular record can't really use that excuse, you know?

I don't know if it is for sure or not but if it is, I feel like they should know.

333 GANG and Carrow like this.
  18. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

the period on the end makes me uncertain.

..Though, even if was only aware of the IIOI situation, I would avoid naming my band the same thing as what is arguably the most popular IIOI album..

Carrow likes this.
  19. 333 GANG

ACAB

I asked them about it on Twitter. Will update if I get any response.

Carrow likes this.

20. I didn't think so either but there was a, now-clarified, possibility.

sonder and Anthony_ like this.
  21. 333 GANG

ACAB

There we go.

Anthony_ and Carrow like this.
  22. Thanks for asking them!

Right, so now we've cleared that up - everyone needs to hear this thing.

23. 333 GANG

ACAB

Of course!

Just digging into this, but enjoying it a good amount so far.

Anthony_ and Carrow like this.
  24. Anthony_

Good enough for me, highly doubt they’d use stories of casual racism against them to deflect from having a problematic band name lol that would be truly reprehensible

333 GANG and Carrow like this.
  25. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I can't stop smiling while listening to this, it's such a breath of fresh air

Carrow likes this.