Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

311 Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Jun 19, 2017.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

you know one of the reasons i havent gone to see these guys yet, its cause they completely ignore their 2 newest albums (mosaic being the most egregious omission).

Now i get it. They're a band that's almost 30 years old, with 30 years of an established fan base. It's like being all pissed NFG isn't playing enough songs from their newest album.

But at LEAST like 2-3 songs? AT LEAST the single or two?

2. Gianni

Trusted

So I will say I agree with you in that I wish they played more Mosaic and Voyager in their sets - because I really think they've had somewhat of a late-career renaissance with those two records (and even Stereolithic makes an argument as a solid record).

But I've been keeping a running playlist of their songs played on this tour, and by my count they are at 71 different songs through 30 shows. That includes 5 from Voyager and 6 from Mosaic. Granted those songs are not being played as every night staples, but they have gotten some love on this tour.

Honestly if you want to go see them my advice would be to go on a fall or winter tour, they seem to play less of a "greatest hits" style set on those tours. Cheers!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I saw them on their tours for the last two or three albums, and it was a little strange. Almost like 3-5 new songs mixed into a "greatest hits" set (though it was better for Stereolithic and has progressively gotten worse). It was cool hearing those songs live, but also kind of a bummer because I knew they would probably be dropped after that tour.

That said, as pointed out above, they're still mixing in a shit ton of songs compared to the vast majority of bands. I still just have a hard time justifying seeing them anymore with the increase in ticket prices for my venues. It really blows.

4. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah.... a lot of fans also upset that they are mostly only 17-18 song 'headlining' sets when a decade ago they were regularly playing nearly 25 songs a night on average.

How many times have you seen them? My other qualm is that after seeing them nearly 20 times, I'm lucky if I hear ONE song I haven't heard live before.

5. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I want to say I've seen them 9 times. That's not even that many times compared to most long term fans, but even after that much, I'll only hear one or two songs I haven't heard live before unless it's on an album-support tour where they play a handful from the newest album.

Gianni28 likes this.
  6. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah definitely makes it hard to justify shelling out what they and the venue charge for the summer tours.

Have you ever been on a cruise or to 311 day? I did the only every 311 Pow Wow Festival back in 2011, and the cruise in 2013 - obviously added the most "never heard live" for me.

Really thinking about doing 311 Day next year since I've never been to Vegas.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Their two most recent albums are great. I've always been under the impression that these guys would switch up their setlists pretty much nightly and played deep cuts.

I still need to go on a 311 cruise too.

Gianni28 likes this.
  8. Gianni

Trusted

I think they find a DECENT balance of switching it up - but the deep cuts are not as frequent as they were on previous tours. I get that it's a balancing act of appeasing diehard and casual fans.

It's a shame too, at the Baltimore show they played "Days of '88" off of Mosaic , and I about lost my shit. The feeling you get at a show when a band you love digs out a cut like that is pretty unparalleled IMO. Just wish I could get a couple more of those at each show.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I have not done any of those despite being an avid listener since the late 90s. I'm really considering going next year, but I'm also planning to have my bachelor party in Vegas next year, so it all depends on if I can make that work together... Probably not doing Vegas twice in a few months lol.

Random side note - I know Voyager gets a lot of flack, but for some reason, that particular album really got to me instrumentally. I learned less than half of MOSAIC on guitar and way less than half of Stereolithic, but for some reason, I learned every song off of Voyager from the leak before the album even came out lol.

Gianni28 likes this.
  10. Gianni

Trusted

that's awesome! Not sure I knew it gets that much flack besides the sampling used in "crossfire". Lotta fans on their FB fan page seem to love it.

11. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I get this, but the last time I saw them live they played way more new songs (7) than I cared to see. Granted it was the day before Mosaic came out…

311 Setlist at Hard Rock Live, Northfield

12. Gianni

Trusted

Totally perfect example of the fine line that the band tries to walk, setlist wise. For me - I wouldve LOVED that setlist. Looks absolutely epic - even sneaks in some Grassroots/Blue deep cuts "Gap", "T&P Combo", "Silver", wow. And LOTS of Mosaic tracks.

But to your point - only 8 "Greatest Hits" songs - which probably would disappoint most casual fans.

bachna84 likes this.
  13. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I think I would’ve liked the setlist more had I been more familiar with the new songs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. Happy day to all who celebrate

Jackbo487, tomdelonge and Gianni like this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

HAPPY 311 DAYYYYYYYYY

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Any of you all buying the live stream? I’m on antibiotics + there’s tons of snow here so… the 311 Day show might be a solid investment for the night.

Gianni likes this.
  17. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah I think this is definitely happening for me.

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

my first 311 show

Gianni likes this.
  19. Gianni

Trusted

Whaaaaaaat!

20. Gianni

Trusted

I expect a full review.

phaynes12 likes this.
  21. phaynes12

this opener is absolutely atrocious lol

22. Gianni

Trusted

Oh boy ... I don't even know who tf is opening this leg of the spring tour.

I know you don't necessarily rate 311 - going by choice, with friends, or?

23. phaynes12

the unlikely candidates? this seems like opening for imagine dragons/cold war kids type stuff lol

and it isn’t that i dislike them, i just genuinely don’t know much beyond the singles. lol i listened to the three hour bandsplain episode last week and saw they would be here this week, seemed like the live show is a good way to experience them

Gianni likes this.
  24. Gianni

Trusted

WHOA there's a 3 hour bandsplain on 311!???!

*rushes to go find it*

well here's to hoping they pull out some deep cuts for ya - the spring tours are usually a great way to get a nice blend of hits and gems.

phaynes12 and chewbacca110 like this.
  25. phaynes12

they did it the day before 311 day haha, you don’t have to dive that deep to find it

gonna grab a shirt since they seem to do one for each show haha