Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

311 Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Jun 19, 2017.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Maybe this was talked about last year but did 311 purposeful trip an entire EDM song for “Crossfire” on Voyager?

2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

"Crossfire" was only out for about one day before someone picked up on the similarities, and it was a pretty big ordeal with the fan base. Pnut and Nick both addressed it on Twitter and were pretty embarrassed, but they've pretty much swept this under the rug and never given a very detailed answer as to why it was straight up lifted from Noisestorm (who also posted on Twitter that he was unaware and confused by the plagiarism). They eventually had to give him writing credits though.

I'm assuming this friend of Nick's probably sent him a bunch of tracks and then included "Heist" as an additional source of inspiration (like "Hey, check this out") and didn't properly communicate that to him. Even still though, if someone would providing Nick with material that he could use without establishing songwriting credits (aka "ghostwriting") then how was the rest of the band apparently unaware? It's all pretty shitty IMO.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  3. chewbacca110

Woof. That sucks so hard. Both that they tried to let it slide but also that they would straight up take AN ENTIRE SONG out of laziness.

4. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

The whole thing is strange. I feel like what almost makes it worse though is that this band is so formulaic and "corporate" when it comes to interviews and media that we're basically never going to get a straight answer about this.

The album already had far too many co-writers and collaborators for many fans' tastes, but finding out that a song that was credited as being written in-house was actually stolen/borrowed from a ghostwriter puts a little doubt in your mind about the rest of their catalog. I don't even care that it ended up getting them in some shit because if people hadn't caught this, we would have never known that Nick takes entire demos from other people.

5. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Happy 311 Day, everyone!

Looking forward to the Transistor livestream tonight!

Jackbo487, ChampsMusic and Gianni28 like this.
  6. Gianni

Trusted

Happy 311 Day!!! Think I am going to partake in the livestream as well.

Attached Files:

7. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Use of Time is the best song off of Transistor and I will not be taking any further questions.

Jackbo487 and Gianni28 like this.
  8. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

"Stealing Happy Hours" is still such a jam. I remember in high school just driving around the back roads through the country (basically anywhere you could get away from light pollution and see the stars) and just playing that song on repeat. Summertime, day or night, with the windows down listening to any of Transistor is great, actually.

Since it's 311 Day, I feel like some rankings.... Top 5 favorite songs?

1. Mindspin
    2. Stealing Happy Hours
    3. 8:16 A.M.
    4. Too Late
    5. 1, 2, 3

Okay, honorable mentions.... Champagne, Use of Time, Sun Come Through, What The?!, Homebrew, Freeze Time

9. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Happy holidays

10. Maverick

Trusted

My 311 top 5

1. Beautiful Disaster
    2. Taiyed
    3. Stealing Happy Hours
    4. Nutsymtom
    5. Mindspin

Gianni28 likes this.
  11. Gianni

Trusted

YESSSS - I think it NARROWLY edges out Mrk_Brdshw's suggestion of Stealing Happy Hours. I gotta come back with my top 5, that's almost too hard.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  12. Gianni

Trusted

upload_2021-3-11_14-38-45.jpeg

I've got a 4 pack of these in the fridge right now, with 5PM calling my name before the livestream tonight.

Anyone else tried any of the Rock Brothers Brewing 311 collab beers?

13. Gianni

Trusted

Awesome that you have included/given some love to songs from the more recent albums, I feel like some OG 311 fans turn their nose up to anything post Soundsystem/From Chaos.

I have debated with my best friend and fellow 311 nerd that Sun Come Through could compete for the BEST overall song in their entire catalog. Such a jam.

ezmo311 and Mrk_Brdshw like this.
  14. Jackbo487

Regular

Sun Come Through is arguably the most underrated of all of their b-sides and it's a shame it's rarely ever been played live too

ezmo311 and Gianni28 like this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

totally agreed - and I was fortunate enough to catch it in Day 2 of the 2013 Cruise, probably my fave 311 setlist I’ve ever caught. Doesn’t hurt that they were giving out free beer for the entire set because of the dreary weather.

311 Setlist at Norwegian Pearl, Miami

Oh, nostalgia.

bachna84 likes this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

happy 311 day everyone lol!!

17. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

For sure! Don't get me wrong, I'm still in the majority that thinks that Grassroots through Soundsystem is still the most untouchable section of their catalog, but their last three albums have been killer. Plenty of "career great"-tier songs on those.

I don't have too many favorites from Evolver through Universal Pulse, but "Sun Come Through" and "Too Much Too Fast" still hold up with the best of them.

Gianni28 likes this.
  18. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I'm stoked for this, but at the same time, I am still baffled at how badly managed this band is for how big they are. They have more head-scratching blunders than any other band I'm a fan of.

Did it not occur to anyone in their circle that maybe they shouldn't name the tour something that implies it's a bunch of drive-in shows after we just had a year of drive-in shows and things are reluctantly opening back up?

If you're going to do a normal, in-person tour, why not give it a normal name (or no name at all) that at least doesn't imply that it has anything to do with cars? haha. They already had dozens of people asking for clarification in the comments. Maybe by the time the tour actually starts, everything will be back to normal and no one will question it, but that just seems like a massive oversight on their part to name it anything even remotely ambiguous at this point in time.

ezmo311, riotspray, Jackbo487 and 2 others like this.
  19. Gianni

Trusted

Also strange cuz usually their summer tour is called the Summer Unity Tour .....

chewbacca110 likes this.
  20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Exactly. They legitimately just created a problem for themselves. haha.

Apparently they tried to do a play on "Live from the Hive" in reference to their online shows (not sure who even knew they were called that since they also referred to them as "Streamsystem"...) It's probably no big deal, but it's more funny to me because they always seem to make these sort of goofy flubs that other bands manage to avoid.

21. Jackbo487

Regular

yeah not sure why it isn't the Summer Unity Tour, and the name is really weird and vague. I do think it's a great pairing of bands, and (presumably) 311 won't have to co-headline this one, either.

22. Gianni

Trusted

See and I preferred "Live from the Hive" as a name to Streamsystem. Streamsystem was confusing to me because I would assume people would mix it up (pun intended) with Soundsystem. ;-p

Lol then again, the more I think about it, the goofy flubs are so on-brand for 311 that I can't even be mad! To quote "Jackpot":

We only enter in one contest
    That we made up ourselves
    That's to be the 311'est

I think they're doing a great job at that lol.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  23. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This is the same band that re-canned their Beautiful Disaster IPA with the blue album cover then did a totally different beer’s re-can for the Transistor show....even though “Beautiful Disaster” is on the album Transistor and should have been a no-brainer lol

24. Gianni

Trusted

You gotta love em.

Let’s be real, their crew and management team is prob just a bunch of old Buddies of theirs from their youth. Hahaha

25. chewbacca110

Gianni28 likes this.