Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

31 (Rob Zombie; September, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I heard that one of the clowns in particular steals the show, so I'm excited for that. Haven't seen any Rob Zombie films before honestly, but I think I'll check this out on VOD

2. DoseofTerror

Regular

I think it's funny how there are at least two clowns with chainsaws.

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Wtf they pulled all the screenings from the rest of the week. And I didn't go tonight. So I guess I'm not seeing this on the weekend.

4. Chase

CAF

It was a Fathom Event, they specialize in one night events.

5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone see this last night?

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Don't you think you should probably check some of this movies out?

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Of course! I was planning on starting with 31

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Out today!!!!!

9. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

How is it?

10. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

If shaky cam bothers you, stay far, far away from this one.

11. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

damn lords of salem was so good and this was so bad :- /

12. angel paste

Richard Brake was so good in this though, if they had just used him instead of the other idiotic people it would of been a much more enjoyable movie.

13. airik625

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in this also. Especially considering how good Lords of Salem was. Some great individual performances though.

14. That's unfortunate to hear. I'm still going to check it out, though.

15. angel paste

it just wasn't put together well at all and was paced all wrong. The editting was whack and those freeze frames were far to frequent.

airik625 likes this.
  16. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Something about this was off. It was almost like a parody of his first two films, and it's hard to say whether or not that was intentional. (I've seen some reviews suggest as much.) From the terribly unfunny jokes (jesus, the opening scene in the van made my blood boil) to the freeze frames and shaky close-ups, I found the whole thing frustrating and yet I had trouble pulling myself away although I certainly contemplated shutting it off at times. The broader political anti-war message, if you will, felt pretty half baked. But, again, I found something about this compelling, however flawed and maddening, and some of the visuals were the sort of menacing atmospheric beauty you'd expect from a Zombie movie.

Tl;dr: like someone on letterboxed said, this is zombie at his most zombie, almost to satirical effect. Solid example is Sheri literally rubbing herself in front of the horny old gas station attendant.

17. airik625

Reminded me of House of 1000 Corpses a lot. Especially the scene where Sherri Moon crawls out of the tunnel.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This uhh, this kinda sucked

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I just got done watching this and came here expecting to be the only one who hated it. Glad I'm not alone.

20. Does he have a future in filmmaking? Was this well received by the horror community?

21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

dude has a past in filmmaking, don't see why he wouldn't have a future

22. airik625

I think I'm going to watch The Lords of Salem again tonight and try to forget about 31.

angel paste likes this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I wasn't really into Lords of Salem outside of the ending, so I'll probably pass on this since you guys are panning it.

24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

this was actually kinda fun, feel like it didn't take itself too seriously. not sure if the cheesy vibe was intentional or not but the overacting and weird slow-motion cutting added to this b movie throwback thing.

that being said, it was only okay and I won't be watching it again. atleast it had a couple of frames that reminded me why Lords of Salem is such a great film

25. angel paste

So glad I watched this now instead of waiting til halloween, that would of been a bad end to halloween.