Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

30 Minute Guide To Getting More Fans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jesse Cannon, from Noise Creators/Off the Record, has released a free ebook breaking down his guide to getting into the music business:

After four annual editions of Get More Fans: The DIY Guide To The New Music Business, and being added to a dozen University programs, and tons of praise from the music world, the one complaint I would always get is that it took too long to read. So I decided to make a free version that contains all the information a musician needs to get their music off the ground. The 30 Minute Guide To Getting More Fans is the most concise way to learn how to promote you music and it’s free over at Noise Creators.

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

30 minute guide? You can boil this down to one sentence. WRITE BETTER SONGS! In the digital age, you no longer have to worry about getting a big break. If your material is that strong, it will gain traction.

3. tommymcphail

Death To Apathy/Get Busy or Get Left Behind

While I agree with killer songwriting coming first, I read this guide yesterday, and it offers a lot of super practical advice. Many bands could benefit from applying this knowledge, and truly digesting it before revisiting. Cannon makes a great point towards the beginning about the need for practical takeaways (ex. not everyone can drop everything and read a hundreds-of-pages book, etc). There's definitely no substitute for hard-work, being a genuine person, and having killer songs though.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. BradBradley

Regular

Now don't get me wrong, writing good music comes first by a million miles. I've never read Jesse's book, but it seems like it's pretty well regarded. For anyone looking into pursuing their passions or a particular line of work in general, there's certainly something to be said for seeking the wisdom of people "who have been there before." If you need the time it takes to read a book about your dreams in life distilled into 30 minutes, you're probably kind of a turd.

5. I can point to countless examples that prove this very, very wrong. Starting with good songs is key, but I will always argue that what you do with them is also important. If you're not willing to work, very hard, and think talent will be enough ... there are corpses of great bands you'll join. This is like the college grad that thinks they got a great degree, or have a high GPA. Getting a start is not the same as being successful.

Bartek T. and BradBradley like this.