Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

25 Songs That Tell Us Where Music Is Going

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times’ new interactive feature covers “25 Song That Tell Us Where Music Is Going:”

A strange thing you learn about American popular music, if you look back far enough, is that for a long time it didn’t much have “genres” — it had ethnicities. Vaudeville acts, for instance, had tunes for just about every major immigrant group: the Italian number, the Yiddish number, the Irish one, the Chinese. Some were sung in a spirit of abuse; others were written or performed by members of those groups themselves. And of course there were the minstrel shows, in which people with mocking, cork-painted faces sang what they pretended were the songs of Southern former slaves. This was how we reckoned with our melting pot: crudely, obliviously, maybe with a nice tune and a beat you could dance to.

2. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

I enjoy reading long form articles but holy smokes, that was a book

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I skipped through and just read the segments on artists and songs I carried about tbh :seeno:

Turkeylegz likes this.