Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2024-2025 NFL Season Pink Pony Club • Page 1000

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Mar 14, 2024.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Weezer sucks as a whole

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

3. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

So much hate in your hearts

go listen to Island In The Sun

paperlung, MidDave and MyBestFiend like this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  5. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

youll be fine and CarpetElf like this.
  6. Randall Mentzos May 13, 2024
    (Last edited: May 13, 2024)
    Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah I just went through an old skate punk playlist I made and it increasingly more and more becomes my opinion that that music style was better than the stuff it inspired (which is most of what AP / Chorus started with)

took itself less seriously, drummers really leaned into the fast fills drumming style and led the bands with it, thicker guitar tones and cooler sounding raspy voices, better lyrical messages when they did try to say something meaningful, still gives me that nostalgic feeling of what it was like to kiss a girl or land an ollie or go to a party or learn guitar for the first time in high school, etc.

If there’s any criticism it’s that most those bands didn’t have much range, but the ones who did like Millencollin, Ash, Pennywise, Lagwagon/Joey Cape, Bad Religion etc showed they had some emotional depth from time to time and would write songs that teetered on the wistfulness of emo music, which in turn inspired later bands in that vein like The Lawrence Arms and Propagandhi to do a more balanced emotional punk sound that also lifted a bit from Jawbreaker. And then that became even more “punk dad with feelings” as it started to inspire bands like The Weakerthans and The Menzingers

Skate punk’s faster/heavier side also was a clear influence on the 00s emo bands that were going heavier and mixing some post hardcore influence. Early Thursday, Alexisonfire, Thrice to list a few leading examples, CLEARLY is all inspired by skate punk rhythm sections despite their desire over time to write slower music with more moody weight to it.

I like ALL of that stuff more than I like the Pinkerton - MxPx - Blink 182 - Saves the Day - Sum 41 - Fall Out Boy - My Chemical Romance - other Fueled by Ramen bands - etc pipeline of becoming progressively more melodramatic and whiney about it, even though that’s what I listened to more of growing up. (I do retroactively think MCR is great at what they do and acknowledge the role they played for LGBTQ kids who wanted to be seen and validated, so I don’t lump them in there as much as I used to.)

The bands in this general umbrella from back then I liked most were the ones who were instrumentally brilliant and didn’t just play chords (Northstar, Boys Night Out, Coheed and Cambria, The Graduate etc) but they 1) were not the eyeliner / skinny jeans type bands that really leaned into the whiney vibe a lot, they just kinda were naturally whiney lol 2) other than Brand New and Say Anything, both of whom are cancelled now, these instrumentally detailed pop punk bands were not actually the bands that ended up becoming most popular. I did enjoy some basic chords and hooks stuff like old FOB and some Relient K and some Sum 41 / Blink 182 and Something Corporate etc but the nostalgia for that stuff was mostly dead by the time I was 18. And none of the like, Academy Is / Boys Like Girls / Metro Station etc “next wave” really caught on for me.

Panic at the Disco and Yellowcard can count as “in between” bands whose first album was really fun for me for a bit and did have instrumental detail, but then I lost interest. Motion City Soundtrack is kinda the opposite - I wasn’t that open to them as a kid cause of the voice, but looking back I think they were one of the best 00s pop punk bands.

7. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

I’m gonn be honest with you Randall I just don’t think about music that much

Sean Murphy and Randall Mentzos like this.
  8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm having a fine wine this evening and playing far cry

theagentcoma and Randall Mentzos like this.
  9. Randall Mentzos

And that’s just me talking about the poppier side of punk music from 1996-2006 that a lot of us grew up on lol. You should see how metalheads discuss metal

10. Randall Mentzos

Gotta stop forgetting Paramore when I talk about that period of music. Paramore rules and always has ruled. Top 5 “scene band” that originated from the early 2000s. I liked them alright as a kid but they actually just kept getting better and better every album.

It’s hilarious that some stuff ages well and some stuff doesn’t, back then Taking Back Sunday was a legendary pop punk band to me and Paramore was just “pretty good”, now I rank Paramore top 5 and wouldn’t even put TBS in my top 30 haha

MyBestFiend likes this.
  11. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

That Fields/Foles report is such a load of shit lol. There were previous rumors that they didn't get along but there is three years of evidence that Fields was loved by his teammates versus one anonymous report.

paperlung likes this.
  12. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

weezer has a few cool songs but are boring imo. i can only name like 5 hives songs but i saw them at a festival once and they ripped.

if were really gonna get controversial ill say i strongly prefer that 2000s fat wreck era to basically all the 90s skate punk staples

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  13. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Weezer stinks

FTank and GreatBeardRecs like this.
  14. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Good morning and happy Schedule Release Eve

15. I didn’t mean to start a weezer discussion lol. Just was stating they were boring on mulaneys show. Zero energy. I get talk show sets are different but compare them to Joyce manor who killed it on the same stage.

16. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

more like Geezer

haha

spreadthehummus2321 and spiffa0 like this.
  17. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Van Wheezer was fun, otherwise I only really listen to their hits. Never got into them too much

18. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

CarpetElf and youll be fine like this.
  19. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

Beard are you gonna share a tweet for every individual game that gets announced

20. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Yes

fuck off

21. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

its the NFL thread, fucking christ

CarpetElf, foolton, FTank and 5 others like this.
  22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

These people have never, ever heard a coach say: “{insert rookie player} has a lot to work on” ???

23. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and delete my Twitter since you post everything anyway

24. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Go ahead, dumbass

25. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Indigo likes this.