Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2023-2024 NFL Season Thread • Page 4031

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, May 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Kellan Mar 14, 2024
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2024)
    Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

seriously though, the fan discourse online about Fields is insane. Bearsland is toxic as hell right now. There is a large contigent that is still in on him. I think ultimately it boils down to two things: 1) Basically no Bears QB has ever been good at anything, so it's hard to let go of Fields with his playmaking ability as a runner. 2) Younger fans are increasingly fans of individual players and not teams. Fields has a good highlight reel.

2. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Eh with the trade show taking most of everyone’s attention, I haven’t been waking up at 7am this week

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  3. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Fields is exciting and I get why a team like the Patriots would want him, but if you're the Bears / Bears fans you gotta realize that pick 1 is an incredibly rare situation, and while I wouldn't trade up for Caleb Williams... at the very worst he's gonna be like, equal to Justin Fields & they owe it to themselves for the potential that he ends up a lot better. Like, New England or a team like that, you can understand their "but it might work for US, maybe the Bears were just a bad fit" mentality... but the Bears have gotta feel like they've seen enough and shouldn't remain complacent / stagnant.

Running highlights / numbers are fun and all, but we've seen so far that good defense can either shut that down, or make passing the ball so difficult for Fields that it doesn't matter if he gets 150 rushing yards. Year 4 is a long time to wait for a guy to catch on.

(i say this knowing Trevor is struggling too but he has some serious 4th quarter comebacks and a playoff win on his resume already, has won more games than he lost the past two years, and he did those things with a mediocre ass offense around him... so I think he's earned a longer leash.)

4. Fields stinky

FTank likes this.
  5. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

You’re right

GrantCloud and Randall Mentzos like this.
  6. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

His legs also aren't going to last forever, and his play style is going to get him injured at some point. It already has. Not to mention the many uncalled RTP penalties. So you have to either hope he improves drastically going into Year 4/5 as a passer, or surround him with enough offensive talent that it doesn't matter. You basically can't do that if you have to pay him past his rookie contract. Drafting Williams means you have 4 more years of cheap QB with an ascending roster (on defense at least). He is also already a better passer than Fields is.

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

drinkin a whisky

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i think there's a fairly decent chance fields ends up being better than williams but i think the majority of the bears' thinking is being dictated by not wanting to have to pay fields

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

drinkin a tea

10. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

maybe spiff should start tucking Dave into bed

11. MidDave

Rum and Diet Coke here

12. MidDave

Do I get a say in this?

13. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

drinkin a aqua

14. DooDooBird

Trusted

It's wild how that 1st round QB draft class basically stinks. Trevor is decent, I guess. But I didn't anticipate 4 out of those 5 being relegated to backup status this soon.

15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I have a water, a Gatorade zero and a ginger ale. #builtdifferent.

JoshIsMediocre and GrantCloud like this.
  16. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

17. MidDave

Nah I’m gonna stay up and play some Madden

JoshIsMediocre and Donnie Ruth like this.
  18. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

#builtweak

GrantCloud and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

are you still shooting from both ends

20. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

GrantCloud likes this.
  21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Uhh wtf

morgantayler and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  22. Randall Mentzos

If we get Aiyuk or one of the top 5 receivers in the draft (My 4 and 5, personally, are Adonai Mitchell and Brian Thomas Jr, with Xavier Legette being in the immediate next tier), and if Cam and Scherff play at least 14-15 healthy games each, I genuinely think Trevor can pick up where he left off in 2022.

He got REAL unlucky with offensive issues last year. I can very much attribute a lot of Trevor's struggles to a lack of depth and a lack of continuity. Would've been a way different story if we didnt:

1) have to replace our drafted left guard with a midseason trade and our drafted center this free agency cause they SUCKED
    2) lose Cam Robinson for like 7 games and then lose Walker LIttle for a pair of games on top of that (I don't even think Cam's that good, but we were worse off starting backup tackles)
    3) Have Lawrence's security blanket Christian Kirk go down before Trevor and Ridley had established enough chemistry to be effective without him

Brandon Scherff is likely to get hurt and miss time and/or have to play injured again so I'm not counting that one, dude's been injury prone his entire career, but that becomes a factor if he somehow can manage to stay healthy. And Anton Harrison entering his second year matters a lot too, he finished the season extremely strong for a rookie despite (expectedly) struggling early on.

DooDooBird likes this.
  23. JoshIsMediocre

Prestigious Supporter

GrantCloud likes this.
  24. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Nabers to LAC?

Donnie Ruth and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  25. Randall Mentzos

Also Doug Pederson suggesting he's open to taking over playcalling duties again was good news. I 100% think Doug calls a way better game even though Press is using the same playbook.

morgantayler likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.