Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2021-2022 NHL Season Hockey • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by xbrokendownx, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Hockey Men: time to stop praising playing through pain.

Also Hockey Men: you better play hurt to make sure there are no cap issues because we're huge bootlickers

MysteryKnight likes this.
  2. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

But what about the growth of the league?!?

3. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

there are rumors they won't protect him in the expansion draft

4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

So the cap relief Minnesota gets by buying out Parise and Suter is only for this year, not the three after that, and years 3 & 4 the dead cap hit is $14.6M. Ouch.

All that to save Dumba...?

5. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

its not only for this year

their cap hits would have been over $15 million combined (~$7.5 million each) over the next 4 years, but instead they now carry these total cap hits for the next eight years:
    $4,743,588
    $12,743,588
    $14,743,588
    $14,743,588
    $1,666,666
    $1,666,666
    $1,666,666
    $1,666,666

6. Jim

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

7. marsupial jones

I don’t understand any of this shit lol.

why is it cap relief this year but bad after that? And how does dead cap impact the cap in general? If the cap was 80M and you have 5M in dead cap, does that make your cap 75M?

8. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

basically, yes.

buyouts are basically 2/3rds the remaining money over twice the amount of remaining years.

this should help to understand it better:

Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Henry and marsupial jones like this.
  9. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Parise, the all-time leading goal scorer among Minnesotans in NHL history, hung up and immediately called his longtime comrade in arms, Suter, to inform his 2012 free-agent tag-team partner and fellow nine-year alternate captain that the Wild were buying out the final four years of his contract.

Suter tried to lift Parise’s spirits. He even told him that funny enough he himself had a missed call from Guerin.

That’s when Guerin suddenly called again. The veteran defenseman answered and was blindsided with the exact same news that he, too, was being bought out of the final four years of his contract.

That call with Guerin wasn’t as lengthy … or as friendly.

Suter, never, ever envisioning that the Wild would actually buy out both contracts at the same time, hung up on the GM.

“These calls are not fun to make,” Guerin said a few hours later at a news conference. “In this position, the chair I’m sitting in, you have to do difficult things.”

amazing

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  10. marsupial jones

just kind of piecing this together and maybe this is incorrect but...

1) Wild still have to pay both of them their remaining salaries, although now over 8 years not 4
    2) they are considered free agents
    3) because they get paid by the Wild they could sign for cheaper somewhere else
    4) if they sign with Seattle, that doesn't count as a pick from Minnesota since they're free agents

Wouldn't be a terrible move to talk to either of them and see if they would do a 1 or 2-year dear for a small amount but i'd assuming they'd want to go somewhere where they could win a Cup (oh god instantly realizing that Tampa Bay is gonna jump on them for like 1M a year lmao)

11. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

I would be shocked if Parise goes anywhere but NYI for cheap because Lou absolutely loves him

Suter could probably still get a decent contract for a few years from someone

12. cherrywaves

Trusted

I would be totally fine with watching Suter play with McAvoy on the top pair for a couple years

Barresi likes this.
  13. cherrywaves

Trusted

Bruce Boudreau seemed to imply on the NHL Network that Parise could go to Vegas because DeBoer was his favorite coach

14. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

that douche would like Deboer

15. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

16. marsupial jones

[​IMG]

17. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

At this stage the depth on d is so massive it's worth trading someone

18. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

I love analytics as much as the next guy but what the hell is he basing any of that on

19. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

NHLe is a very tough analytic so ya def take it with a grain of salt, especially when it's from stats in non-north American leagues.

That said lundkvist put up back to back thirty plus point seasons in the shl and he won shl defenseman of the year this season, that should translate to a top four in the nhl

20. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Tough day for Cherrywaves

cherrywaves likes this.
  21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

what a steal

Barresi likes this.
  22. cherrywaves

Trusted

I'm happy to have him signed but that contract screams "LTIR" with all the concussions he's had

23. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Richter915 likes this.
  24. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I totally get, but also totally don't get why players keep taking contracts like this. Like this man must've known he wasn't worth 9M. Shave a few bucks off that contract, save face, and don't tank your career. You're already stupidly rich, is the extra few million really worth condemning an extended period of your professional life to inescapable futility?

25. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious