Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2021-2022 NCAA Football Season Thread • Page 161

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by stars143, May 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I think UNC at least makes sense for basketball

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

breaking up the research triangle rivalries seems very anti-money making to me, haha. they gotta play duke/nc state

3. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Didn’t even think of that haha. I take it back.

4. shea

RIP Supporter

Idk if there’s any truth to this and it kind of veers into tinfoil hat territory but to hear a significant portion of the GT fan base tell it, uga would never allow them back into the conference and so many GA politicians are uga grads they’ve been actively trying to harm the GT athletic department since they left the SEC 60 years ago or whatever..lol.

5. dorfmac

Trusted

Hell yeah college swimming website breaking news.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

to be fair the SEC does have quite a few swimming powerhouses

7. dorfmac

Trusted

Oh for sure. I was a college swimmer, but nowhere near SEC quality! I just haven’t thought about swimswam for YEARS so it caught me off guard

Garrett likes this.
  8. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

80% of the teams don’t have a chance at anything in the past system, current system or future system. The whole system in college football is built around like 15 programs (some of which aren’t even good aka Texas)

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Texas is back

shea likes this.
  10. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

UVA is probably better at most other major mens sports. They’ve won national championships in baseball and basketball in the past decade.

CarpetElf, shea and bigmike like this.
  11. shea

RIP Supporter

That’s a good point

12. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I was gonna ask - are these changes for all sports? I feel like there were changes years ago and it was a “yeah but only for football” or a few sports not all of them, but maybe I remember that wrong because that would seem confusing as fuck for scheduling and whatnot

13. shea

RIP Supporter

Isn’t that what the big East did? Dissolved for football but still around for other sports?

Also Notre Dame is in the ACC for everything but football.

marsupial jones likes this.
  14. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

A lot of this also comes down to money for schools beyond what they get from their football TV deal. The pandemic made that very clear for a lot of schools, which is why USC and UCLA scrambled to the Big Ten and now others are trying to follow suit.

Say what you want about ND, but they don’t rely on football TV money the way other schools do. Their TV deal isn’t nearly as lucrative, but they are the focal point on NBC and have been able to make up the difference elsewhere (largely from alumni and other avenues). The calculus gets trickier when you start talking $50M-$70M. But ND has an attractive brand that will boost any conference when they want to join, but it probably will happen at some point.

Assuming Clemson, Miami, and Florida St go to the SEC, UNC is one of the better attractions outside of ND bc they are the main attraction in a pretty large state for good viewership. They also have a distinct brand. Washington is also attractive for Seattle. A conference takes Oregon largely for Phil Knight and Nike. Them and Stanford probably go to the Big Ten eventually.

Olympic sports, including basketball just don’t move the needle in these discussions in most cases. Added bonuses, but not what most schools are thinking about. Conferences meanwhile seem to be focused on market share, brands, and reach.

16. dallasc

Trusted

Conferences? who needs em

bigmike and koryoreo like this.
  17. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I want to hear the tinfoil hat theories — I don’t know what sway local politicians would have that wouldn’t be statewide things that affect UGA too (and presumably help both or hurt both)

That rivalry feels like a lot of
    upload_2022-7-8_10-0-26.jpeg
    and I’ve never really gotten it because GT as an institution and its fans just have this universal hatred and obsession with UGA and I’d consider Florida, Auburn, and now Alabama to be UGA’s biggest rivals

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah absolutely no one at UGA gives a shit about GT

19. shea

RIP Supporter

[​IMG]

Gotta imagine it’s the way Florida felt about georgia in the 90s. And 00s.

20. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Not really though because UGA fan culture isn’t built around hating Florida. We don’t piss on Gator heads in our urinals or type florida/U(sic)f any time we reference them. GT is alone in that regard of having their entire sports identity around hating Georgia

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. shea Jul 8, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2022)
    shea

RIP Supporter

Lol.

I guess we don’t know the same georgia (:winkkiss:) fans then.

I have never seen this but I did see where someone wrote “U(sic)GA diplomas” on the toilet seat cover dispenser in one of the tech student center bathrooms years ago. My drunk self found it hilarious and posted a picture of it on fb which promptly got me in trouble with several of my uga grad friends..lol

whitenblue88 and CarpetElf like this.
  22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I’m pretty the Georgia G on the urinal covers is a thing on campus. At least it was in the early 10s when I went to visit friends down there, and I thought it was when I went to a b-school info session a few years back

and lol, duly noted — there are plenty of self-proclaimed “drunk, obnoxious Georgia fans” that it wouldn’t be out of character at all to form an identity around hating Florida

CarpetElf and shea like this.
  23. DooDooBird

Trusted

Really wish Kirby wasn’t a Georgia guy. He’s about the only current coach I’d be comfortable with to be Saban’s successor. And I felt like that was a plan at one time until Mark Richt got canned and everything changed.

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

When I was at Florida, the hate around Georgia was nowhere near the FSU hate. Georgia fans made us roll our eyes whereas FSU fans made our faces red and ears steam.

25. dorfmac

Trusted

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.