Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020 MLB Season Baseball • Page 524

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. They just gave Tauchman away too!

slimfenix182 likes this.
  2. Speaking of ...

slimfenix182 likes this.
  3. T.J.

music and baseball.

okay, so i was doing some looking at Miggy's contract, since i'm a Tigers fan and wanted to see.
    the problem with this view, bolded above, is this take always fails to mention the excess these players give at the beginning of their deals.

Miggy's contract is not bad. look at Fangraphs "Value' section. for his career, he has produce a value (WAR converted to FA$) of $458M. but his career earnings will only be $390M after retirement. the league has made their money off this guy. it cannot be a bad contract, simply because he's an average player right now. if his contract was for the same value, but they loaded it in the front, no one would be having this take because he'd be paid like an average player at the end of it. but with the time value of money, no team will do that.

oncenowagain and Zoshchenko like this.
  4. dodgers have their shifts on lock sheeesh

5. T.J.

music and baseball.

it really stings since they are my NL team :tear:

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Honestly how is there even a trade deadline this season?

“hey pal i know its pandemic szn but go uproot your life/family to another city pce”

7. Kershaw has nightmares of Rendon

Brent likes this.
  8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Seems like a good point

9. TheJMan

Trusted

The problem is you’re looking at Cabrera’s whole career vs. his current contract extension that started in 2014.

How can you say his current contract isn’t bad. Per Fangraphs he’s had 2 negative WAR seasons out of the last 3 years, not including this year, and the last time he had a positive was in 2018 and it was 0.7. After this year he still has 3 years left and 94 million dollars left on his contract (with two vesting option years).

You’re also looking at his value over his whole career. If you look at the value over his current contract extension he signed in 2014 he was worth $116.5 million while he got paid $160 million, not including this year yet.

His contract is one of the worst in baseball right now. It’s $94 million of dead money for the next 3 years.

10. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

We're 10000000% losing this game, but this was a fun jab.

11. T.J.

music and baseball.

okay...
    for the Tigers, after the 2013 season, he produced $229.8M worth of WAR value for them.
    in 2008, he signed an 8-year $152.3M contract. he already exceeded that value by a lot.
    and at time of extension, he was the best hitter on the planet. so they wanted want to keep him. and, they did.
    to this date, he's produced $346.9M for the Tigers alone. he's been hurt a lot since 2017, which you cannot fault anyone.
    he will be paid $381M by the Tigers. he still has time to make up the difference, but without injuries, he probably would break even or exceed it. to say its a terrible contract is silly. especially when the Tigers were consistently putting out good teams back then.

Zoshchenko likes this.
  12. T.J.

music and baseball.

its cool when players get ripped off, but not when its my owner.
    i really don't understand that line of thinking.

Zoshchenko likes this.
  13. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

worst contracts in baseball are the pre-arb studs who put up big numbers but get paid nothing

T.J. and Jason Tate like this.
  14. T.J.

music and baseball.

no, that's just savvy business, which is the reason i watch sports. B-)

Zoshchenko likes this.
  15. TheJMan

Trusted

We’re talking about two different things. I’m talking about his 8 year contract extension he signed in 2014 while you’re talking about his whole Tiger career. Anything he did before the extension is irrelevant. The contract extension he signed is a bad contract. He hasn’t been a league average player for 4 years now. He’s still owed $94 million with 3 more years left.

16. TheJMan

Trusted

Completely agree. The draft with cap slots screw the amateurs too. MiLB players are under paid as well.

17. T.J.

music and baseball.

first, i feel like my comments are getting too wise as i drink this seltzer. so i apologize, if that's the case.

but think of it this way. if you are overproducing at your employment, and the management doesn't take that in consideration moving forward, you are going to feel disrespected and look for a different employer. its the same in sports. they are not animatrons or dancing bears. they are people.
    if you want the best player on your team to stay put, you overpay some and back pay him later. that's just how people work.
    i love numbers as much as the next guy, but not everything can be factored in on paper.

18. TheJMan

Trusted

First off no need to apologize I didn’t take offense to anything you said. I thought we were just having a friendly conversation/debate.

I completely agree with your points. That’s why most of these long term deals end poorly because the teams have to overpay in years and dollar amount to get them to sign.

T.J. likes this.
  19. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

::Bobby Bonilla has entered the chat::

dorfmac and Sean Murphy like this.
  20. T.J.

music and baseball.

i do want to thank Al Avila from talking Mike Illitch out of signing Chris Davis, though.
    what a hero.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Get him outa here!

22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

ASL?

Sean Murphy likes this.
  23. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Brandon Lowe is having a very underrated first third of this season. Haven’t seen nearly the kind of buzz around him that some bigger names have been getting (of course I don’t read everything) but he is quietly putting together great numbers.

GrantCloud and T.J. like this.
  24. rough game for trout

25. DooDooBird

Trusted

Y'all talking bad contracts and a colossal waste of money?

[​IMG]

Brent likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.