Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020 Albums • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bachna84, Dec 27, 2019.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah that's definitely the hardest part of doing rankings per calendar year. Something that I love which came out in Jan 2020 versus something that came out Dec 2020 are really hard to compare

2. grimis16

Regular

True, BUT it's great to look back at your lists years down the road. Just like what Chorus did this year. It's fun to see what still stacks up. Plus I miss so many albums during the year and discover them through others.

manoverboard365 likes this.
  3. grimis16

Regular

So does anybody have some recommendations of must listens that possibly flew under the radar?

4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Here’s a big (sorry!) list off the top of my head of albums you may not have heard that are worth checking out. These are all albums I’ve listened to at least more than once and enjoyed/loved each time.

Ratboys - Printer’s Devil
    Emma Kupa - It Will Come Easier
    Retirement Party - Runaway Dog
    Melkbelly - Pith
    OHMME - Fantasize Your Ghost
    NNAMDI - Brat
    DEHD - Flower of Devotion
    Momma - Two of Me
    Nat Vazer - Is This Offensive and Loud?
    Beach Bunny - Honeymoon
    Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
    Gladie - Safe Sins
    Katie Malco - Failures
    The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers
    Illuminati Hotties - Free IH
    Skullcrusher - Skullcrusher EP
    Hamilton Leithauser - The Loves of Your Life
    Owen - The Avalanche
    Liza Anne - Bad Vacation
    Sinai Vessel - Ground Aswim
    Anna Burch - If You’re Dreaming
    The Goalie’s Anxiety at the Penalty Kick - Ways of Hearing
    Lomelda - Hannah
    Becca Mancari - The Greatest Part
    Courtney Marie Andrew’s - Old Flowers
    H.C. McEnrire - Eno Axis
    Jenny O. - New Truth
    Madeline Kenney - Suckers Lunch
    Varsity - Fine Forever
    Trace Mountains - Lost In The Country
    2nd Grade - Hit To Hit
    Frances Quinlan - Likewise
    Boyo - Where Have All My Friends Gone?
    Maita - Best Wishes
    Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
    Diners - Leisure World
    Hazel English - Wake UP!
    Christian Lee Hutson - Beginners
    Sports Team - Deep Down Happy

grimis16 likes this.
  5. grimis16

Regular

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to do that for me. I'll slowly go down the list and see what catches. Thanks again.

6. grimis16

Regular

Holy shit, Emma Kupa was the lead singer of Standard Fare! I used to really like them like 8 years ago. Thanks buddy.

ItsAndrew likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I actually just discovered her this year and fell in love with her record immediately upon hearing it. Then I went back to her previous bands and they are great too! She’s great!

8. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

What were some of your favorite records from this year?

grimis16 likes this.
  9. grimis16

Regular

Mansions - Big Bad
    Phantom Planet - Devastator
    San Cisco - Between You and Me
    the Front Bottoms - In Sickness and In Flames
    the Neighbourhood - Chip Chrome and the Mono
    the Menzingers - From Exile

There are albums that I liked and enjoyed, but after looking 2020 albums over, those are my favorites.

10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Looks like you're into more rock-oriented indie and pop artists. On the indie side, I'd recommend checking out the songwriter Westerman's full-length debut Your Hero Is Not Dead. Really tuneful melodies, he's got a crystalline voice and a flair for strange rhythms. If you like a more upbeat song like "Think I'll Stay", keep going through the rest of his catalog -- he's only released about 20 songs over 4 years and they are literally all worth your time.

For your tastes that are right down the middle of poppy/catchy rock anthems, I'd call out Silver Torches' Bermuda Dunes, an album that is equally indebted to mid 2000s pop rock bands and Bruce Springsteen. (Check out the song "My Own Road".) This should slot in pretty well with that Phantom Planet album unless they dramatically changed their sound. Along similar lines, I'd also recommend that Ratboys album someone else mentioned. I've yet to find a soul who doesn't like their song "My Hands Grow" on a cold listen.

It's pretty well-liked and discussed around these parts, but Spanish Love Songs' Brave Faces Everyone is a wonderfully resonant album that might fall on the more abrasive side of your tastes. I'd certainly slot it in next to the Menzingers, and single "Losers 2" is like the socioeconomic version of something off The Hotelier's Home, Like Noplace Is There.

Hope the above helps, let me know if you find anything you like!

grimis16 likes this.
  11. grimis16

Regular

Thanks man, will definitely check out your recs

12. Deeplomatic

13. Deeplomatic

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I have no recollection of those albums coming out, me listening to them or posting that lol

15. Ferrari333SP Dec 5, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 5, 2020)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

My top 10 songs of 2020

1. Dagny - Somebody
    2. Taylor Swift - Mirrorball
    3. The Midnight - Brooklyn
    4. Hania Rani - F Major
    5. Elina - Another Round
    6. Nightly - The Movies (feat. Charli Adams)
    7. Gone West - Slow Down
    8. The Chain Gang of 1974 - Do You Mind?
    9. The Naked and Famous - Bury Us
    10. The Night Game - I Feel Like Dancing

irthesteve likes this.
  16. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Damn, idk if I could ever do a top 10 list of songs, I can barely begin to make a top 10 albums list.

with that said, if I did try and make a top 10 list of my favorite songs this year “Saint Cloud” by Waxahatchee would definitely be included.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah it's really tough; it's rare for me to like albums in or nearly full, so I've always done a ranking of songs instead at the end of the year; have done it now I think for five years. I just go through my 2020/yearly playlist on Spotify and try to pick out the songs I remember the most, that I listened to repeatedly, make a long list, and then slowly whittle those down until I get to like 15 or so. Then pick out the few must-haves, and then listen to the rest of the songs themselves a few times to help make up my mind which I like better, to then put them in order.

18. irthesteve

great job with your #1

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Is the 2020 AOTY thread coming soon?

20. RobinSm89

Dua Lipa, Future Nostalgia
    It's the best album ever))

21. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

When does the 2021 Albums thread usually get posted?

22. irthesteve

Start it

23. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

24. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Based off your tastes, and my favorites.

ManDancing - The Good Sweat will be your jam.
    Movements - No Good Left to Give.
    Hot Mulligan - You'll be fine
    Spanish Love Songs' Brave Faces Everyone - rerecommending this from above.

Kind of typical new scene-emo recommendations but they rip pretty hard. I generally have a collection of songs from new-ish bands without doing a full dive but all these albums I can always throw on and rock the whole way through. TFB are my fav band right now and I'm into the Menzingers.

25. grimis16

Regular

Thanks for the recs. I'll give Hot Mulligan and Man Dancing a try. Already a fan of the other two. Also, I'm surprised more people aren't putting the new Front Bottoms on their list. Damn fine album, probably my top of the year.