Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020-2021 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 156

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by CarpetElf, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

That's everything. That's bowling alleys, movie theaters, etc. It's a luxury if we can function as a society without it.

domotime2 likes this.
  2. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

It's inessential.

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t think it’s wrong to call entertainment as a whole a luxury industry. I feel for those in the industry who aren’t millionaires and are just scraping by, for sure. Unfortunately though sports aren’t a necessity and it sucks but the government should be doing more

uuu likes this.
  4. marsupial jones Aug 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2020)
    marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I feel horrible for the restaurants and businesses around the campuses that make probably 90% of their money during the season.

I mean, I feel bad for coaches and players too. And there is no “their worse off because” that anyone in here is playing or saying, it’s just crazy how many people survive on collegiate sports that have absolutely no association with the colleges and whatnot. The ripple effect is fucking huge and depressing.

bigmike and uuu like this.
  5. preppyak

Elite Supporter

the director of sports cardiology at Ohio State, had also been busy, working to publish a three-month study whose preliminary findings were...revealed an alarmingly high rate of myocarditis — heart inflammation that can lead to cardiac arrest with exertion — among college athletes who had recovered from the coronavirus.The survey found myocarditis in close to 15 percent of athletes who had the virus, almost all of whom experienced mild or no symptoms

Ohio State has refused to make public any testing data about its athletes — who make up the bulk of the study

So, Ohio State is sitting on study data that probably shows a sizeable percentage of college athletes would be at risk of sudden death from playing footfall if they contracted COVID: Doctors Enter College Football’s Politics, but Maybe Just for Show

6. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

one game?

7. Night Channels

Trusted

pointless

8. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

“Ah yes this one game really swayed my opinion”

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Against central Arkansas

GrantCloud and bigmike like this.
  10. stars143

Trusted

11. marsupial jones

no pressure!

(shouldn’t be played but besides the obvious)

bigmike likes this.
  12. DooDooBird

Trusted

Now the Big 10 decides they want to start their season around Thanksgiving. Umm. Ok.

13. stars143

Trusted

14. dorfmac

Trusted

Jamar chase opting out. Really a bummer to see electric players skip the season, but I’d be doing the same thing.

bigmike likes this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I figured as much given an interview he gave after the championship.

16. DooDooBird

Trusted

Jamie Newman opting out. lol

17. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Makes sense. Anyone with potential to go in first three rounds would be smart to not play this year in my opinion. No reason to risk your NFL dreams playing in a season that might not even finish or where your team can be missing half its starters on any given week. Though I'm doubting schools are going to honest with reporting Covid outbreaks.

bigmike likes this.
  18. DooDooBird

Trusted

Newman wasn’t even a sure thing though. This is different than Jamar Chase opting out. Chase basically had nothing to prove. At all. Newman has a lot to prove, IMO. Playing wouldn’t have hurt his draft stock, I don’t think. But if he just wants to exercise his right to opt out bc of corona concerns, that’s fine. Ultimately I don’t care. The timing of this decision just seems so weird.

19. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Draft stock aside, college kids should not be playing sports in a pandemic. He has a draft stock he can improve, sure. How good is that draft stock if/when he gets sick and develops the heart conditions that big ten athletes were discovered having after getting covid?

koryoreo and CarpetElf like this.
  20. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I watched the Central Arkansas/Austin Peay game last weekend. Tons of fans/family members that either are wearing masks around their necks or not covering their nose. The supposed social distancing is a joke since the crowd all sat towards the center of the stands for the best view while the ends were empty. No enforcement of safety measures for the crowd at all it seems. Maybe the FBS schools will do better but not holding my breath since most teams will have 15-20K in the stands while that game only had 2K.

stars143, GrantCloud and bigmike like this.
  21. marsupial jones

(Yes I mean to post this in this thread)

Majority of my family was at an indoor event with about 80 other people three weeks ago now and allegedly “everyone” has been asked if they’ve been sick or had any symptoms and they’ve all said no so sadly everyone in my family REALLY doesn’t believe this is a serious issue going on.

it’s baffling to me that it would, in a way, be GOOD if someone did test positive for it and/or have symptoms so maybe they would take it more seriously. Although even if someone did have symptoms they probably wouldn’t get tested so it’s a mute point but holy god is it frustrating.

bigmike and koryoreo like this.
  22. Night Channels

Trusted

bigmike likes this.
  23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Rarely worth it to go back for your senior year.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  24. Night Channels

Trusted

Especially those BYU prospects that are about 30 years by the time they graduate

bigmike and koryoreo like this.
  25. stars143

Trusted

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.