Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020-2021 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 152

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by CarpetElf, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean, they cut sports programs. i wouldn’t call fencing major haha. but yes, this is going to have a major, major effect, and even moreso if CFB doesn’t happen (it shouldn’t)

CarpetElf and Drew Beringer like this.
  2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Not to sound too much like an uninformed bumper sticker, but how can these schools charge so much tuition, make a butt load off major athletics, and not be able to survive one calendar year of losses? 100% legitmate question beacuse i dont have the slightest idea of how university finances are

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Depends entirely on the school. Schools like Bama, LSU, UT. etc... will be fine. I think the middle will be hit the hardest. No one shells out hundreds of thousands to schedule Kansas State or Memphis.

4. DooDooBird

Trusted

It’ll be disappointing when we don’t get to embarrass USC in Dallas again. God I love those neutral site season openers.

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Survive might not be the correct word for most of the schools we’d be talking about in a NCAA football thread, but another way to look at it would be it’d be unrealistic to not expect pretty substantial cuts when a mid-major team loses, let’s say, $3M in football ticket revenue ($20/ticket, 6 home games, 20k fans). Plus whatever they get from TV deals and conference deals/bowl games/contracts to play at the big schools and whatever else comes in. Maybe you have some profit margin in there and can pull from future earnings if this is just a one year thing, but you probably need to cut at least $1M in expenses to be able to cover, which is probably going to mean pretty substantial cuts. Most of the numbers I’ve seen are closer to the $3-5M of cuts for those kinds of schools, and that’s a pretty sizable portion of their budget

It’s not really a “they’re poor” thing so much as it’s a “they lost a ton of revenue that they didn’t account for losing and can’t just not do anything as a result”.

6. if you didn't know before, COVID has really exposed how fucking useless the NCAA is

Predictably the NCAA has nothing useful to say on the matter and is leaving it up to each conference to “make important decisions based on their specific circumstances.” What a feckless, useless, needless organization the NCAA is, btw. They are basically a glorified party planning committee that throws one (1) big party every March and then spends the rest of time making sure the “student athletes” that they say they care so much about can’t make any money or get taken out to lunch.

Will there be a Wisconsin football season this fall?

CarpetElf and bigmike like this.
  7. but yeah mid-majors are fucked

CarpetElf likes this.
  8. dorfmac

Trusted

Working at an institution with an endowment, with my wife being the accountant for said institution, this was one of the first things I asked when I found out we were exploring receiving a PPP loan - why can't we just use our endowment for this and let the businesses that actually need the loan money take it? Long story short, endowments are really particular and it's definitely not as easy as saying "let's take out some cash here to hold us over."

Even a mid-size state university like the U of Maryland has a 1.9billion annual operating budget, with another 550million coming in research grants. Their endowment is somewhere in the low-mid 300million range, so it wouldn't go that far or last that long. You look at smaller institutions with smaller endowments and they are definitely screwed. I'm going to be very surprised if the small private college diploma hanging on my wall is reflective of an existing institution this time next year.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  9. dorfmac

Trusted

Lou holtz says we should play college football because the people who stormed Normandy knew there was risk, but they still did it.

Lou sucks. notre dame sucks.

GrantCloud and bigmike like this.
  10. The people who stormed Normandy had a better chance of not dying than we do with the virus haha

Fucking Dustin and CarpetElf like this.
  11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

THE PEOPLE WHO STORMED NORMANDY WERENT SIMALTANEOUSLY PLAYING FOOTBALL

bigmike, dorfmac and Drew Beringer like this.
  12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

how do you know

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. dorfmac

Trusted

Because it’s Europe. If anything, they were playing football, not football.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. Pearl Vixen

Metal Goddess 8-]]

I am a big FSU and UGA fan--I wonder if they will actually be able to play ball this year due to the corona virus...

15. Night Channels

Trusted

Central Michigan TE Tony Poljan entered the transfer portal today. One of the best prospects in mid-major football.

Interested to see where he ends up.

bigmike and CarpetElf like this.
  16. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I wonder when the schools with Student Athletes on campus have to make the call on move in dates for the rest of the student body

17. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

18. Night Channels

Trusted

JD Spielman to TCU is fun

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. don't like that

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

what

21. DooDooBird

Trusted

lol. The world we live in.

22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Great way to, let’s say in September, play the dense defense and say you have no new positive tests. Why? Because everyone tested positive in July/August and we have to wait three months so pizzazz! No new cases to report!

sounds like a Trump idea

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

How many star players will test positive and have the positive test swept under the rug so they can suit up if they’re not showing symptoms?

25. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Texas is back
    upload_2020-7-29_14-13-6.png

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.