Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019 NFL Draft Football • Page 28

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by xbrokendownx, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah but that’s becuase this draft class doesn’t really have running QB aside from Kyler Murray

We also say this after the fact that Herbert stayed in school.

I get so tired of watching Duke call QB draws for a grand total of 1-2 yards with him. He’s athletic enough to get away from a blitz but I wouldn’t consider running a strong point of his game. He’s not a “run 10 times a game” QB and they use him like that anyway haha.

2. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think anyone thought luck could run for a 1st down in the NFL when he was at Stanford either

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. Randall Mentzos

We’ll see what he runs at the Combine, but every time he played a college defense with proper containment / gap discipline, they shut down most of his running plays

The vast majority of “mobile QB” are crazy good at running in college, and then they come back to earth a bit in the NFL. No part of Daniel Jones tape looked like he was crazy good at running. He has decent straight line speed but he’s not elusive.

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah that's poor playcalling, that's not his fault. Hes made a lot of effective runs too.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  5. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean who cares, honestly. Are the jags gonna frequently run qb draws now or something? As long as he runs an average 40, that's fine

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Harbaugh is a losuh

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

remember when rg3 outran luck in the combine and everyone made a huge deal about it? At least I think that happened lol

CarpetElf likes this.
  8. Randall Mentzos

I mean but you guys are saying he’s like Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill was a WR before he was a QB. He’s clearly much more of a runner than Jones.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

All that really matters is if he can throw the ball anywhere near marquise lee

Randall Mentzos and CarpetElf like this.
  10. Randall Mentzos

I think he needs to stay in the pocket and throw early touch throws cause that’s what he is best at. Y’all overreacted when I compared his game style to Rivers but if he tried to emulate Rivers’ game, that would be the best way for him to utilize his talent

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  11. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Is Randall picking for the jags in the mock?

Randall Mentzos and CarpetElf like this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

hes clearly a decent runner though too haha

13. Randall Mentzos

Bortles is a better runner than he is lol

Jones will run a little faster at the Combine but that doesn’t mean he’s elusive or takes good angles through the defense, is what I am saying. He doesn’t dodge tackles like most “running QB” did on a regular basis in college.

What I see is, he’s not a statue, he can get away from blitzes and get rid of the ball while on the move regularly. It’s a very good sign that he’s athletic. But I don’t see successful running unless he totally catches the defense by surprise.

14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

That's weird cause we watched the same videos but you somehow missed all the good running plays haha. Bortles is statistically the most efficient running QB in the NFL. He was not a runner in college though.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  15. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

V.interesting

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. Randall Mentzos

That’s not true. Bortles absolutely was a runner in college lol watch his bowl game against Baylor. He’s pullin Spin moves and all kinds of shit, ran for like 100 yards that game.

I was watching the running plays. The only ones he got away were really bad containment by the defense. Once the defense even began to account for his running he would instantly stop having success with it.

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Daniel Jones runs more than twice as often and was more efficient than Bortles was in college.

Night Channels and PeacefulOrca like this.
  18. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Haha

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. Randall Mentzos

It’s obvious he’s only saying that because he lacks elite length & size

He’ll put on 15-20 more pounds, measure in at 6’5” 325 at the Combine and be drafted high as a tackle just fine

20. Randall Mentzos

On the contrary I bet you could say the same for Baker Mayfield who also isn’t a great runner at the NFL level. Like I said, Daniel Jones gets away with it in college but that doesn’t mean he’s good at it when the defense is watching for it.

21. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Randall, do not take Tony Pauline seriously

CarpetElf and Randall Mentzos like this.
  22. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Here comes a pointless debate about qbs who run sometimes

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. Night Channels

Trusted

Duke’s offense relied heavily on Jones’ ability to run the read option which eventually turned into more RPOs this season.

He ran for 500+ yards in 2017. He is solid dual threat option that has developed into a more complete passer during his career at Duke.

Of course he’s going to have good mechanics...his head coach is one of the best QB coaches to ever do it.

24. Night Channels

Trusted

And I get that Ryan Tannehill was a solid possession receiver at A&M for a while, but he was an awful runner from the QB position.

I do understand the Jones-Tannehill comp though.

CarpetElf and PeacefulOrca like this.
  25. Night Channels

Trusted

This is incorrect.

CarpetElf likes this.