Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020 MLB Season Baseball • Page 273

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Bless Boras :heart:

2. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Apologies to the pirates fans, who have like the 5th wealthiest owner in the league and refuses to spend a dime. Cole should still be on your team.

Groogz and DaydreamNation like this.
  3. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Would it he more palatable if it was 7yr/324 or 6/324?

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Potentially...either way, a team is paying a player the same amount of money...the question is...would the team rather pay it off quicker (and while the player is more likely to be in their prime) or be on the books for that money the last 3-4 years where a player is more likely to have a sharp decline?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

This Soto thread is foreplay.

6. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

9 years for Cole is silly. Yankees are gonna get fucked on that later on.

7. No they won’t - they have a ton of money they are one of the few franchises who won’t get fucked by a contract like that

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don't think this will fall on their face at all. i think this might be the yankees best big contract since CC.

Jason Tate and Drew Beringer like this.
  9. Ellsbury contract went as badly as it possibly could and Yanks have been serious contenders each of the last several years. Not gonna get fucked by any contract lol

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Do people think a contract is bad if the last few years are duds regardless of how good the first half or two-thirds is?

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Hot take: the worst contract in baseball is all the young studs getting paid the league minimum

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i really think the absolute worst case scenario here is he's what CC was this past season or two in 7 or 8 years.

Zoshchenko likes this.
  13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

The yankees specifically wont regret it but knowing how my Mets operate I wouldn't want the mets to make a move like that.

Love my pay degrom a shit ton but only 5years type deal so much more

Sean Murphy likes this.
  14. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

As a jays fan the Cole signing is a bummer. As a fantasy player who always chooses Cole for his team, this is awesome.

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yeah i definitely agree haha

16. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

If the Yankees keep getting good prospects they might just package them to trade away Stanton at some point. I feel like the same could happen with Cole if he wasn't doing well down the line.

17. This contract isn't gonna stop them from signing Torres or Judge or something because they wouldn't have done it if it would, so who cares if they are overpaying for 36 year old Gerrit Cole? It's possible he could still be really good then a la Verlander and also probable that he will no longer be the highest-paid pitcher by then. Yanks are fine and Cole is worth it.

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

nobody can predict what will happen during the season of course but the Yankees have to absolutely be prohibitive favorites for WS as of this morning

19. No doubt, probably NY vs. LA

20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Also can the Mets not get porcello. I feel like porcello kinda sucks?

21. T.J.

music and baseball.

Yes. They ignore the success in the beginning of the contract, where they are providing a surplus of value for their clubs(!), and then shit on them when the pendulum swings the other way around. No one looks at the entirety.

Really, who cares if they suck the last few seasons, if he provides all the WAR/$ the club is expecting in the first few years?

Jason Tate and Zoshchenko like this.
  22. If we assume a standard aging curve Cole is still gonna be putting up like 3 WAR in the last year of his contract though right? That's not bad at all

23. If they win one World Series and it cost them $300 mil I think they'll (and fans will) say it was worth it. They'll make all that back in revenue anyway in tickets and merchandise and all this money feels like monopoly play money when it's this high anyway.

24. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I would much rather see these superstars signing huge contracts and teams at least trying & spending money for a World Series than sit there idly and do nothing, even if it doesn’t work out in their favor

DyingGaslight likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.