Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020 MLB Season Baseball • Page 265

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. @oncenowagain

My Rays quasi-fandom is about to get seriously diluted if this goes through

2. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

What is the point of that trade lol

3. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

what’s that about? padres still have too many outfielders

5. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

oh my god

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Is this just shedding Pham’s eventual arbitration?

7. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

I hate that I’m not on twitter anymore and can’t follow the discourse as it happens

8. It's either a long-term move driven by that/Renfroe being four years younger than Pham or the Rays see something they gotta have in Xavier Edwards

Zoshchenko likes this.
  9. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

A staple on the travel ball circuit for several years, Edwards has a long track record of performance against high-level pitching and his elite speed makes it likely that he plays a premium defensive position in pro ball, and plays it well. He faces questions about his size, and power doesn’t project to be a real part of what he ends up doing. Instead, Edwards is a high-effort offensive catalyst who knifes at defenses with line drives and well-placed bunts. He is twitchy, strong, has great feel for the strike zone, he’s short to the ball and tough to strike out, and has feel for all-fields contact. He has a traditional leadoff hitter’s skillset from a tools/stylistic standpoint, but a modern leadoff man’s approach and on base ability. Capable of playing a passable shortstop, Edwards is most likely to end up as an above-average defender at second, and his elite speed could make him a valuable defender in center field if needed.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  10. I really think it's because they don't wanna pay Pham ~8.5m when Renfroe costs what, a million? I'm not the one to judge the Pham-for-Renfroe swap because Tommy Pham is one of my half-dozen or so favorite players in the league so I'm a stan, but Renfroe seems like a serious downgrade at least in 2020 terms

11. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

For some reason I thought Renfroe was a great hitter and not a dude with average OPS & RC+ stats. I don’t understand the Rays, even though they’re gonna win 90+ games again.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  12. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

:teethsmile:

I’m not happy to see that Jake Cronenworth is now included in the trade talks too, but I guess our FO wants to clear some space in the middle infield.

Tommy is just such a solid on base guy and good equalizer in the dugout and I’m gonna be sad if he goes.

DaydreamNation and PeacefulOrca like this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Well done Lerner

14. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I kinda like what the rays got for Pham, the rays seem to do very well in these random trades so you have to trust them... I think?

15. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I love offseason trades

16. Cipher

I love the Rays so much. They're so random that you have to wait out their trades to figure them out. Lol.

Brent and PeacefulOrca like this.
  17. Josh Awesome

@team_newton Prestigious

Can we just fast forward to where Strasburg or Cole signs with Angels...we need an ace so bad.

Brent likes this.
  18. Rays do have a history of knowing when to sell high on a guy though (Archer, Longoria, etc) so maybe they've somehow divined that Pham has peaked. I hope not for his sake obviously but even if the trade looks bad now it may not look as bad in a year.

Also have read some speculation from Rays fans here and there that Renfroe profiles more as a replacement for an Avisail Garcia type so maybe another OF acquisition is forthcoming? Who knows

oncenowagain likes this.
  19. Zoshchenko likes this.
  20. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

I was worried about how Fangraphs would fare after Dave Cameron, Jeff Sullivan, and others left for big league jobs. But the site is maybe even better? Kiley and Eric’s prospect stuff is amazing, especially The Board. The new Roster Resource page is also awesome. No one there currently is a must-read writer like Jeff Sullivan, but on the whole the site is in great shape and amazing hands with Meg Rowley at the helm

21. Yeah they've got a really, really good cast over there right now.

The Ben Clemens guy who wrote the above piece is I think the third writer in the last few years who's been plucked from Viva el Birdos (Cards SB nation site), after Craig Edwards and I think someone else, so I kind of selfishly miss them just writing about my team all the time haha

oncenowagain and Zoshchenko like this.
  22. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Heard boone for a few minutes on wfan this afternoon he popped in - he was coy and said all the right things, but theyre absolutely about to back the brinks truck up for Cole haha

slimfenix182 likes this.
  24. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, why not get both?

Oh yea, Stanton nvm

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.