Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019 MLB Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Baseball • Page 892

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Brenden, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  2. that's a fucking steal

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

weird to reject 4/60 then take 1/less than 20 with another team even if the 4/60 was for the mets. he must be confident.

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Great get by brewers any way you look at it

5. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i’m not really surprised harper and machado are still unsigned though. whos gonna jump out in december and pay 10/400 when you might be able to get 8/280 in february. Its shitty but, i mean, thats the stove these days.

7. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I mean he'll be high first round right? I don't follow college enough to know but if so it's kind of a no-brainer

8. Murray will probably be drafted within the first 15 picks and will make more than enough money to pay back whatever bonus money he owes Oakland.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  9. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

sucks for grandal to reject a 4 year deal and only find a market for a 1 year deal damn

10. maybe that reported offer wasn't true or maybe he just doesn't want to be a Met

11. also this comment on the Deadspin article is really enlightening and shows that the CBA needs to be changed

"Baseball’s financial system is so badly skewed toward older players; if he were to stay with the A’s and take just two years to reach the majors (which would be pretty fast), he’d then have three seasons making around $500k before seeing anything approaching real money. It’s not just possible, but expected that he would reach 26 or 27 and have something like $6.5m in career earnings (including the $4.7m signing bonus), and that’s if he makes it at all. He’d get more than double that in guaranteed money if drafted in the middle of the first round as a QB.

I mean, the whole “being incapable of cognition by 45" thing would probably swing it toward baseball for me, but baseball’s a miserable proposition financially. The flameout rate for prospects is extremely high, and you don’t get full market value for your skills until you’re about 10 years into your pro career and your skills are about to start declining."

T.J., slimfenix182 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. I mean Murray is gonna get more in guaranteed money right away and will probably make more money just in endorsements alone than what he would make in total during his first 4-5 years in baseball

13. like it's insane that Machado and Harper are still unsigned - this doesn't happen in any other sport! the top free agents aren't still unsigned almost two months in the FA period!

14. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Isn’t QB a much safer position now than it was historically? That probably helps with his decision

15. CobraKidJon

where that tweet about how teams payrolls are getting smaller while prices to go to games are getting more expensive

16. I mean not really with Murray's style of play

it's safer than what it was 10 years ago but I wouldn't say it's actually safe haha

17. it probably has more to do with making a lot of money right away and being a more recognizable athlete/star and bigger endorsements and getting to travel to game on private planes and five star hotels instead of greyhound buses and motel 6's

he was drafted by Oakland he's never gonna get a major endorsement deal regardless of his skill set just based on the market he's was drafted into

18. CobraKidJon

never

19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Rangers gotta shot at that WC spot. I like it

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

52866260-24B9-421F-80F1-AFCDB1767CC6.png

what team could that be

slimfenix182 likes this.
  21. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

i hate this game sometimes

22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

T.J. likes this.
  23. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Lol no they don't.

24. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Texas has a chance to finish 4th in the AL West at best lol

25. CobraKidJon

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.