Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019 MLB Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Baseball • Page 1195

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Brenden, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. airik625 Jun 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2019)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

At least he's not pitching the 9th anymore, but still the fact that he is pitching at all is embarrassing. Every single player I'm sure licks their chops when they see his is coming into pitch. He doesn't scare anyone. Hell, I'd rather any of the following pitch over him: Webb, Sobotka, Wilson, Touki, CULBERSON, Winkler, Swarzak, Tomlin. Just give him away in a trade at this point.

I also I think it's nigh time to move Donaldson out of the clean-up spot. Dude has been in a rut for the last few weeks. Move Riley to 4 and this good offense becomes even better.

DooDooBird likes this.
  2. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Really interesting chat with Gallo about hitting

Joey Gallo Talks Hitting

Quoted what I found most interesting

Laurila: What are you typically doing wrong when you’re scuffling?

Gallo: “A lot of things lead to scuffling. And sometimes it’s not even scuffling; sometimes it’s bad luck. Things don’t always go your way. But sometimes it can be a mental thing. There are times where it’s because I’m pulling off too much. Sometimes I’m hitting the ball into the shift; I’m not lifting the ball because I’m not staying through it. So there are a lot of things that lead to scuffling. It’s just part of the 162-game grind.

“It’s not always just one mechanical thing. That’s something a lot of people don’t understand about baseball: there are a lot of things going on over the course of a season. I’m also a pretty up-and-down hitter. I can go 0 for 15 and strike out 10 times. Then I can go 10 for 15 and hit seven home runs. I’m trying to limit that [streakiness], but at the same time, I have to accept that I’m a different type of hitter than most everyone else. I know that I’m going to strike out more than the average player. I know that I’m not going to hit .300. But I’m going to do more damage. I’m going to bring a different aspect to the team.”

Laurila: Which numbers on your stat sheet are the most meaningful to you?

Gallo: “I like Weighted Runs Created. I like OPS, because it tells a story of slugging, which is damage — creating runs, essentially — and getting on base. I’ve hit .200 before in the big leagues, but I had a .330 on-base percentage. In my head, I was essentially hitting .330, because I was getting on base 33% of the time. I like those numbers. They tell a truer story of how valuable a player is than average does. I think batting average is getting pushed out of the game, because it tells such a limited story. You can hit .300 and not be especially valuable if they’re mostly singles. Not every hit is created equal. If I hit a home run, it has more value than if I hit a single.”

Laurila: Do you ignore the shift?

Gallo: “I don’t look at the field anymore. I’m just focused on who’s pitching. I know that guys are moving around. I know the third baseman is in f-ing right field. That’s fine. If I take my swing, and do what I need to do at the plate — hit the ball in the air with a high exit velocity — it doesn’t matter where they’re playing.

“I think the shift is primarily a way to get guys like myself out of our game. They’ll take a single the other way. They don’t care. ‘That’s great; he didn’t hit a home run; he didn’t hit a double.’ If I play into their game and change my approach, suddenly I’m not a threat. I get that hitting a single the other way can be a good thing, but in today’s game, the other team will take that 10 times out of 10.”

oncenowagain and Jason Tate like this.
  3. DooDooBird

Trusted

lol. Sobotka. Wasn’t he the first guy we phantom IL’d this year? Dude is basically right handed Minter.

But yeah. Donaldson has been exactly what I thought he’d be when we signed him. Overpaid and totally unnecessary. Advanced metrics say he isn’t terrible, but the emergence of Riley has made him such an afterthought in this lineup. Maybe he’ll get going and shut me up.

airik625 likes this.
  4. airik625

Really hope he does. It’s hard to bench a former MVP that walks a ton to make up for his lack of power numbers this year. Especially with so many youngsters on the team, he’s great to have in the clubhouse. But like you said, if he can just start producing more, we would be happy.

5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i must say. it's pretty exciting to look at the standings and see so few teams out of it.

6. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

but then you look at the AL

7. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

It must be awesome to have a game start at 10 a.m. haha

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  8. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm way more into 10am games I can watch the latter half of than 10pm games where I'm nearly asleep

slimfenix182 likes this.
  9. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

well if youre NOT a believer that the indians/red sox are going to get hot...then even the AL is pretty interesting for the 2nd wild card spot

but I am not one of those people that believes that. But hey Rangers, As', Angels fans have SOME hope in mid-june

10. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Projections believe in the Red Sox to at least get a wild card as it stands right now. 66% odds vs Cleveland's 36%. A's, Rangers, and Angels all under 10%. It's fun that they're all showing life but it's hard to imagine things going differently than the wild cards going to whoever doesn't win the AL East

I wish the A's had last year's magic still. Rangers have been fun but hard to buy into them yet. No faith in the Angels tbh

11. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Reds have had the best pitching so far this year in the NL??

Reds have an NL best team ERA+ of 129. Tampa Bay leads the world with 149. What is Jeff Sullivan feeding them?

PeacefulOrca and oncenowagain like this.
  12. airik625

Braves are hottest team in baseball right now.

13. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

They were good at pitching on the tail end of the playoff teams too, somehow.

14. slimfenix182

Biggest injury of the year for the Yankees

Kendrys Morales calf strain

Congrats on the AL East title Rays

Jason Tate and oncenowagain like this.
  15. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

I thought he was garbage

16. slimfenix182

Correct he's in my top 5 least favorite Yankees since 92

Jason Tate and oncenowagain like this.
  17. oncenowagain

Sounds like the Yankees will be just fine then

slimfenix182 likes this.
  18. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

The Yankees strategy of playing the worst batter ever at dh has now ended, who can they coax out of retirement?

oncenowagain likes this.
  19. slimfenix182

Give Chris Carter another shot

God that was infuriating lol

20. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Bryan LaHair to the Yankees please

21. slimfenix182

If Didi hadn't pushed LeMahieu/Voit to 1B/DH most days Cashman would probably be trying to lure Chili Davis out of retirement right now

Jason Tate and PeacefulOrca like this.
  22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Oh-Oh-Ohtani.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  23. oncenowagain

Ffs, Yarbrough is always such a toss up between dominant and a complete fucking joke of a pitcher

24. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

That Ohtani was sick. I can’t believe it carried. I kept expecting it to drop in the gap

Brent likes this.
  25. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

MLB is playing in Omaha??

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.