Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019 Holiday Gift Guide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

For the past few years, I’ve put together a little gift guide in December full of things that I think make great gifts and are a lot of fun to give or receive for the holidays. Everything on the list is something I’ve used and enjoyed and recommend. I have recommendations posts for movies, tv shows, books, software, podcasts, headphones, and miscellaneous stuff around the house, so the things on this list will be more focused on stuff not included in those posts and geared toward things I’ve come across in the past year or so and think would make good gifts.

I used my Amazon affiliate link when the product showed up there, which gives our website a slight percentage back if you make a purchase and therefore helps fund our continued existence.

If you’d like to get me a gift, becoming a supporting member or gifting another user a supporting membership for a year would mean the world to me. And, if you’re looking for something in just about any price range with a Chorus.fm or AbsolutePunk.net logo on it, check our merch shop.

Under $10

Custom Self-Inking Stamp
    This is a great custom stamp that I use for my return address on all mail. It’s way easier than writing it out by hand every time and more space-efficient than giant rolls of sticker labels.

Xpand No Tie Shoelaces System with Elastic Laces
    This product is proof that Instagram ads work on me. However, these are also great. I put them on a pair of Vans Authentics and love them. They effectively turn the shoe into a slip-on and have a really clean look.

Prepworks Measuring Spoons
    We received these measuring spoons as a wedding gift, and the magnetic feature is perfect for keeping them from spreading out all over in a drawer.

Under $25

Anker PowerCore 5000 Portable Charger
    Having a portable, small, extra battery for your phone is great for traveling or to gift to a loved one to slip into their bag for safety. You never know when you may need it, and not having to search around or fight for an out an outlet when you run out of juice is great.

Corkcicle 12oz Triple-Insulated Stemless Glass
    These insulated stemless wine glasses have been a huge hit with friends and family this year.

Bellemain Bamboo in Drawer Knife Block
    This was another wedding gift that I have completely fallen in love with. I don’t like having a lot of things out on the counter in our kitchen, so being able to store all our knives in a drawer, out of the way but still right in reach, has been a revelation.

B-Side Wine
    After discovering this wine earlier this year, it’s been my go-to gift or bottle to bring to a friend’s house for dinner. I think it’s a great tasting wine, while not being too expensive, and the musical theme is an obvious win.

The movies I think are worth gifting this year include: Parasite, Booksmart, and Fighting With My Family.

Under $50

GIR
    I love everything about these kitchen utensils.

ThermoPop
    The ThermoPop is a great meat thermometer that’s not too expensive but extremely handy. I’d probably exclusively serve undercooked chicken if I didn’t have one.

Batman: The Definitive History of the Dark Knight in Comics, Film, and Beyond
    This 400-page hardbound book about Batman is incredibly detailed and makes for a perfect gift for any fan of the Caped Crusader.

Website Subscriptions
    These days there are a bunch of websites and newsletters that have membership programs. The holidays are a great time to gift one of these memberships to a friend or family member and trust me, as someone that runs one, it goes a long way to helping your favorite website as well. Some of the websites I recommend checking out their membership packages include: MacStories, Relay.fm, SixColors, Popular.info, and Stratechery.

Under $100

Kohler Showerhead
    The best decision we made this year was upgrading our shower head. This is what we went with, and I adore it.

Peak Design Wash Pouch
    I love this toiletry bag/dopp kit. It’s well made, extremely easy to clean, and well laid out to keep everything nice and organized.

SturdiBag Large Flexible Height Pet Carrier
    If you have a pet, I highly recommend this pet carrier. The large size makes it far easier to get a feisty-ass cat into it when it’s time to take them to the vet, and it’s far nicer to carry than any I’ve used in the past. It’s a little on the spendy side, but every single time we use it I think it was worth it.

Streaming Services
    We’re living in a golden era of TV, and there’s a whole bunch of TV streaming services that make for fun gifts for someone that may not sign up themselves. I can recommend The Mandalorian on Disney+, Titans and Doom Patrol on DC Universe, Watchmen on HBO, and Dickinson on Apple TV+.

Over $100

AirPods Pro
    I don’t have a lot for the over $100 section this year, but I can recommend the AirPods Pro with utmost confidence. I love these things. Easily my favorite pair of earbuds I’ve ever owned and one of the most used products in my life. I use these daily around the house, out on walks, and in the gym. They’re fantastic.

Any Amount

Ask your friends and family to donate to the ACLU, RAINN, The Trevor Project, or other non-profits of your choice.

Subscribers to the weekly newsletter will probably recognize some of these items because I write about them throughout the year when I find something I like and enjoy. So, if you like reading things like this, plus getting my weekly thoughts on music and entertainment, you should signup.

Archive