2019 Albums • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Larry David, Dec 29, 2018.

1. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

barely listened to anything in january and even forgot to update it here oops off to a good start

2. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Finally getting around to the new Cherry Glazerr :thumbup:

3. JulieLynn

Colors Change For No Good Reason Supporter

February:

1. Cassadee Pope - "Stages" (2019)
    2. Girlpool - "What Chaos Is Imaginary" (2019)

4. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

31. Crane Like the Bird - Crane Like the Bird (2019)
    32. Marianas Trench - Masterpiece Theatre (2009)
    33. U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)
    34. Third Eye Blind - Blue (1999)
    35. Bright Eyes - The People's Key (2011)
    36. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (2007)
    37. Tiny Ruins - Olympic Girls (2019)
    38. girlpool - What Chaos Is Imaginary
    39. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History (2010)
    40. Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose (2009)

5. Matt Chylak Feb 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2019)
    Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

January in Review:
    I usually spend a healthy portion of January catching up on albums from the previous year that I missed. This year I did less of that than usual, mostly because I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the great new releases that came out this month.

There were a lot of standouts for me, but in the darkness of deep winter, James Blake's Assume Form and Jessica Pratt's Quiet Signs were two really great nighttime albums that had very different moods. Assume Form makes for incredible night drive music; Blake leans on more of his collaborative instincts with great features from Travis Scott, ROSALÍA, and André 3000, but filters them through these dark tunnels that harken back to his earliest and most arresting music. It sounds like nothing else in the world.

While Jame Blake is playing with space, Jessica Pratt's Quiet Signs sounds more like it was conjured from another time. It's a stark, meditative collection of songs that have a palpable atmosphere to them, as in lead single "This Time Around", which sounds like it was beamed in from a post-apocalyptic radio station. Pratt's songs are short and to the point, reflecting light 60s folk with a haunting voice that was tailor-made for an evening at home. It's as if the songs have always just been there, waiting in the air.

This month I also discovered the duo Your Smith, whose EP from last year Bad Habits is four perfectly laid-back pop jams. I had a hard time deciding which song to choose for my recommendations section, but I landed on "The Spot", which sounds like Sheryl Crow rewriting "All I Wanna Do" to be about smoking weed on a hilltop in NorCal. It's definitely going to be in my summer rotation this year. I'm also really excited about the brand new Verve artist J.S. Ondara, whose unique blend of folk and soul calls to mind Leon Bridges auditioning for the Lumineers. His debut album comes out in mid-February, so hopefully I'll have more to write about him in next month's dispatch.

Sharon Van Etten's "Seventeen" might be the song of the year, a roaring Springsteenian ode to looking back on who you used to be and what you'd think of yourself now. Its stunning music video drives that feeling home, as Sharon confronts herself and . It was shot around New York, including some places that I live near, which gives it an extra charge for me because I have that same sensation. In a lot of ways, I'm living a version of what I hoped I would be doing when I was 17: I have an apartment in Brooklyn with my lovely girlfriend, and am working in the music industry and going to shows. Were those uncertain times the good ones? Is it right now? In a lot of ways, life is marked by the perpetual disconnect between where you are and who you want to be, and Sharon captures it perfectly.

I could probably write another five paragraphs about January releases, from the surprise Phoebe Bridgers/Conor Oberst collaboration Better Oblivion Community Center (really enjoyable, but not a top-tier release in either of their discographies) to Maggie Roger's highly anticipated debut (growing on me, but a bit disappointing) to Toro y Moi's depressive funk jams. Ultimately, the blessing and curse of being a big music fan is that you can never listen to everything. If this January is any indication, it's going to be a very good year for music.

Next month is also my participation in the #MWE project, so I'm expecting to hear a lot of great older albums. You can follow my thoughts about them on this Twitter thread.

Top 2019 albums of the month:
    Jessica Pratt, Sharon Van Etten, Toro y Moi, James Blake

Recommended Songs I discovered this month:
    Strand of Oaks - "Weird Ways"
    Sharon Van Etten - "Seventeen"
    Your Smith - "The Spot"
    J.S. Ondara - "Saying Goodbye"
    Jessica Pratt - "This Time Around"

Mary V likes this.
  6. Devin Sunshine

@devinsuunshine

well this list could go on forever loll....
    in no particular order

1. All We Need -Raury
    2. Swimming - Mac Miller
    3. American Boyfriend - Kevin Abstract
    4. Currents - Tame Impala -- an all time favorite forever
    5. Flower Boy - Tyler the Creator
    6. Wolf - Tyler the Creator
    7. College Dropout - Kanye West
    8. Get With the Times - Bekon
    9. Fatigue - Zach Farache
    10. O My Heart - Mother Mother
    11. Trip - Jhene Aiko
    12. Everything Under the Sun - Jukebox the Ghost
    13. Ye - Kanye West
    14. The Program - Cam'ron
    15. Man it Feels like Space Again - Pond
    16. Gone Now - Bleachers
    17. BB - Mod Sun
    18. Saw You in a Dream - The Japanese House
    19. Blonde - Frank Ocean
    20. Cool Glxy - Devin Sunshine ;))

7. Chocobo

Regular

January

01. Spangle Call Lilli Line - dreams never end ++
    02. Kedama - machi no akari +
    03. GANG PARADE - LAST GANG PARADE +
    04. RYPPHYPE - next level +
    05. Controversial Spark - after intermission ++
    06. yuichi NAGAO - oblivion +

from 2018:
    01. Drop's - organ (mini album) ++

February

07. majiko - color (mini album) ++
    08. MONO - nowhere now here ++
    09. POLKADOT STINGRAY - uchoten ++
    10. SHE'S - now & then +

from 2018:
    02. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - hometown +

8. EarthShifts

Regular

Forgot to update my list at the end of January. Been a hectic couple of weeks and haven’t listened many actual albums during that time.

9. TriangularDuck

Regular

January new stuff report.

FEVER 333's new release, STRENGTH IN NUMB333RS is probably my favorite release of the month at the moment, a nice chunk of RATM worship, just what 2019's political climate calls for. The Jon Hill Project also put out a strong debut, and the Better Oblivion Community Center, Say Anything, and Fidlar albums continue to grow on me and might work their way up as the year goes on. Weezer's Teal Album is an extremely take it or leave it, by the book covers album, and Bring Me The Horizon's amo has a few killer tracks, but as a whole, failed to grasp me. Slow month for new music, as is usual.

10. blinxspot Feb 11, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:38 PM)
    blinxspot

Oh gee golly gosh am I late to the party but here I go! First time doing this so any recommendations are appreciated!

February:
    Shrezzers- Relationships
    FEVER 333- STRENGTH IN NUMB333RS
    Jon Hill Project- Rebirth
    AM Taxi- Shiver By Me
    Bring Me the Horizon- amo
    Tiny Moving Parts- For the Sake of Brevity/Fishbowl
    Wristmeetsrazor- Misery Never Forgets
    SeeYouSpaceCowboy...- Songs For The Firing Squad
    Toro y Moi- Outer Peace
    Polyenso- Year of the Dog
    Point North- Retrograde
    Too Close to Touch- I'm Hard To Love But So Are You Vol 1
    Tyler Carter- Moonshine
    Sticky Fingers- Yours To Keep
    Emarosa- Peach Club
    iamjakehill- Solace II
    Ariana Grande- thank u, next
    Pedro the Lion- Phoenix
    August Burns Red- Phantom Sessions EP
    Set It Off- Midnight

11. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

41. The Cure - Disintegration (1989)
    42. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine (2008)
    43. Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs (2019)
    44. Copeland - Blushing (2019)

12. irthesteve Feb 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    (Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM)
    irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

63. Ariana Grande - thank u, next (2019)
    64. Emarosa - Peach Club (2019)
    65. Copeland - Blushing (2019)