Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019-2020 NFL Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Football • Page 679

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

But really what Belichick would do in that instance is grab a bunch of skill position players no one's ever heard of, trot them out in rest weeks, and run the entire offense through them for 200 yards each

2. Fucking Dustin

Jonas Gray was made for this

Max_123 and socklord like this.
  3. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Like, as a fan I don’t know that it moves the needle for me much. But I do support the players getting more money, and if it spreads out the season and kind of encourages rest for stars I support that. I don’t know. I haven’t read much about that but I find it intriguing. It seems like it could be a solid compromise.

4. Randall Mentzos Jul 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2019)
    Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

1) oh sure. Let’s all draft a Tom Brady. Easy right? While you’re at it, Marrone, just start coaching more like the greatest coach of all time. You can easily learn that too right?

2) I think the Rams would have a much harder time finding someone to replace Gurley, than they will just waiting for Gurley to be healthy again. I’d rather overpay a great RB than have my offense underperform because I couldn’t find a replacement and my team lost its balanced attack.

Walking away from a generational talent at RB would be the bigger mistake imo. It’s hard to sign players to big contracts and not have some buyers remorse when you can’t afford everybody... but there are situations where it’s still worth it because the alternative is worse. The Rams extend their window by remaining dominant at the RB position. They could lose a receiver or two and still have a high octane offense.

3) you know the last time a run heavy team beat a pass heavy team in the Super Bowl? 2018.

4) people are really exaggerating RB durability concerns. I just don’t ageee that you should worry about that for their first contract extension. RB do break down earlier than other players but that’s like age 29-30, not age 25-26. Pretty much every “great RB” has dealt with injuries and remained great in his upper 20s

5. Fucking Dustin

I like what they're going for with it much more than I like how I think it'll be executed

Owlex likes this.
  7. socklord

Trusted

I don’t know about you guys, but I would center my offensive strategy against a Rams defense that was bottom of the league against the run.

8. Fucking Dustin

One of two things, either:

1. people end up watching games where their teams are QB'd by guys like Deshone Kizer and Tom Savage due to QBs being rested in random games (could even coincidentally be primetime ones).

or

2. QBs play 18 games a year and if @CarpetElf hates how QBs are being paid now I can't wait to see how people react to what they'd be paid for playing 2 more games a year than every other rostered player.

9. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Thinking of it as an extra wrinkle of a chess match is interesting too. Would teams just play an entire second string and punt a week? Would they rest 1-4 starters depending on opponent?

10. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Randall: "I think you guys are overplaying durability concerns"
    Also Randall: My star running back is always hurt and I'm starting to get sick of it.

Like, come on dude haha.

GrantCloud, CarpetElf and socklord like this.
  11. Fucking Dustin

If I had to guess they'd punt a TNF game or two

12. socklord

Trusted

Credit to good coaching for using cheap RBs in a committee to take advantage of a team who defense struggled against the run and was busy paying their lead RB a ton of cash only to not utilize because he was hurt and instead utilize CJ Anderson who was playing the best ball of his career despite being signed off his couch

13. MidDave

Patriots rest weeks 18 and 19 cuz they locked up the division in week 7 B-)B-)B-)

14. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I’d guess they would put limitations on benching players in prime time games. Maybe like the Sunday before they could do that, that would be good for the fans tbh

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  15. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Wtf, there’s spoiler tags for a reason

16. MidDave

This. So much this. So freaking much this. The Patriots leading rusher takes up 1% of their cap and they STILL already drafted his replacement lol.

socklord likes this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

I just can't imagine a strategy that the fans would be happy with. NFL games are already so expensive, imagine paying to go to one and planning it all out just to find out half the roster you wanted to see is sitting out

18. Fucking Dustin

NBA and MLB can rest players here and there because there's 80+/160+ games per team respectively which makes the games more affordable to attend frequently

19. MidDave

Also you know the second a Mahomes or Brady sits out a Sunday Night Football game the NFL will lose their god damned minds.

20. MidDave

Bill is such a fucking Troll he'll sit Brady out for two primetime games and start Danny Etling just to screw with the league and their dumb rules.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Fucking Dustin

And win

22. Randall Mentzos

Is every runningback having the injury issues Fournette is having? The answer is a resounding “absolutely not”. He’s honestly the only “good” RB that has THIS much trouble staying on the field. CMC / Elliott / Kamara / Hunt etc are doing just fine in terms of injuries.

Gurley spent ONE playoff run hurt. Bell has missed some time but still was a lot more available than Fournette. Fournette is like Sean Lee. He has an abnormal, absurd amount of soft tissue injuries. That doesn’t apply to every runningback.

23. Randall Mentzos

Unlike the Patriots fan, I don’t bias my perspective of the whole RB position based entirely on how it has affected my team ;) I look at the rest of the league because the Jags are a shitty example right now.

If you’re paying attention I HAVE been saying Fournette should not be resigned if he continues to have this many issues. Gurley and Gordon though, have been pretty reliable for the most part.

24. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

@Randall Mentzos all of your examples are players in their rookie contract. Do you have any good examples of players in their second contract without durability concerns/living up to enough of the life of the contract for it to have been worth it?

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. MidDave

Hmmm...all of these things are not like the other...all of these things just don't belong! All of them are on Rookie deals! Hunt isn't because he beats women and is a fucking asshole, but if he didn't do those things, he'd still be on his rookie deal. You're literally proving my point that the best runners are young guns and by their second contract their toast.

Gurley spent ONE playoff run hurt and his team was so spooked by it they drafted a RB in the first round despite just locking him up.

CarpetElf likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.