Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019-2020 NFL Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Football • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I also think Larry Fitz, AB and Calvin Johnson are all comparable talents to T.O.

Aside from Rice - Fitz has the best hands of all time, AB has the best footwork.

Calvin was a similar strength / size / speed athletic freak as T.O. & had the widest catch radius of all time.

The thing that probably puts TO above those guys for me, is the fact he played on a lot of teams and was dominant on all of them. But I think he’s not as far ahead of those 3 receivers as people seem to suggest.

SlappinCups, CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  2. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Moss above TO easily.

CarpetElf, Randall Mentzos and Joe4th like this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

If longevity and availability is important that widens the gap between TO and Calvin/AB for me

CarpetElf and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

When it comes to all time rankings and whatnot, availability and longevity has to be an essential part of it, imo

CarpetElf and Fucking Dustin like this.
  5. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

This is one of those times where it is good and healthy to own up to a bias so here we go...

Randy Moss was the best and always will be the best and anyone who disagrees can go step on a lego.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

A big reason why I mentioned that is if we WEREN'T factoring in availability and longevity, Moss would be my #1.

But I agree with you, those things can't be ignored when looking at all timers and that puts Rice at a clear #1.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, whether or not those things are considered, I can't put anyone above Rice. The man had 2 back to back Hall of Fame level careers spanning multiple teams and quarterbacks, haha

Edit: That's a bit hyperbolic, but you know what I mean!

8. Randall Mentzos

While this is a fair perspective, I don’t like to be too harsh about that with my analysis. Maybe I’m biased because Fred’s injuries leave him forever overlooked.

But Calvin Johnson threw his body around like crazy for the ball starting with high school and college. His Georgia Tech highlights look painful as fuck, the hits he took and the ways he hit the ground. He had so much wear and tear already, and then he was loyal to a Lions team that wasn’t going anywhere, so when his body started to break down he just retired early.

Same thing happened to Barry Sanders (and he’s also a top 3 RB if we’re talking strictly talent, but can’t come close to Emmitt Smith if we’re talking longevity.)

Meanwhile you’re comparing that to Terrell Owens, who played in the SuperBowl on a fractured fucking leg and risked his entire career and somehow managed to make 9 catches for 130ish yards. Imo that’s not necessarily fair to hold other players to that standard. That’s dangerous and goes beyond the humanity - element of the game.

In AB’s case yeah he may well have cracked under his swelling ego and fame and his career will never be what it could have been. I am with you there. But Calvin? The only way to accurately assess his talent among historical WRs is on a per season basis because he had a good reason not to play for 17 years.

SlappinCups and Joe4th like this.
  9. MidDave

My friends still won't play Madden with me because of Randy Moss.

CarpetElf and Randall Mentzos like this.
  10. Fucking Dustin

With AB I'm just saying because he hasn't played that long and I still want him to play a bit more before putting him up there haha.

I don't hold Calvin's longevity as a knock because it doesn't compare to TO's, I hold it as a knock because there's a LOT of receivers his longevity doesn't hold up against.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  11. broken22

(:

The thought of anyone above Rice is crazy tbh

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. MidDave

My All GOAT Team is easily starting with

QB - TB12
    RB - Barry Sanders
    WR - Jerry Rice
    TE - Rob Gronkowski (It's true and you know it.)

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. broken22

(:

With that being said, I think Rice, Moss and T.O. are all on a different level and should have it's own tier for those three.

14. broken22

(:

C'mon man lol.

CarpetElf and whitenblue88 like this.
  15. Fucking Dustin

Weird way to spell "Mahomes"

16. Fucking Dustin

My Mahomes love bit is less funny when Mahomes is an actual MVP

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

But yeah Gonzalez over Gronkowski, can't talk about availability being a factor and then put Gronk over Gonzo IMO

But Gronk is a clear #2 at this time

CarpetElf, Joe4th and Randall Mentzos like this.
  18. Randall Mentzos

I just take these things on a case by case basis.

The reason Moss didn’t put up Rice numbers wasn’t injuries. It was entirely up to him, because he had a shitty attitude when things weren’t going well.

Rice was known for his drive to succeed and work hard. Steve Young won a SB with him, went back to the team facility to pick up some things a few days later, and already saw Rice out there training for next season.

So in that case yeah Rice is better than you, Moss because he was more focused on the team and collective forward progress, and he set his ego aside for the game.

SlappinCups and Fucking Dustin like this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This list is weird because it combines looking at only someone's prime and extrapolating it (Gronkowski or Sanders) as if they're the GOAT because of it and then someone like Rice who actually did it.

I think Brady is the GOAT for multiple reasons, but if you're gonna pick someone's peak and use that as an argument, there are multiple other quarterbacks who should be in that spot instead.

20. broken22

(:

Tony G is the best TE ever, Gronk is probably second.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Fucking Dustin

That's a good point, I concede my argument

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  22. Fucking Dustin

Doing peak GOAT teams sounds more fun though in fairness

23. Randall Mentzos

Absolutely NOT true for Sanders. His entire career was “his prime” lol. He retired on top. There is no extrapolating for him, he would have continued to dominate if he kept playing

SlappinCups likes this.
  24. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Gronk at his peak is better than Gonzalez at his peak

remember Gronk is also an insane blocker

CarpetElf and Fucking Dustin like this.
  25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

There really should be two GOAT lists: actual career/longevity and peak GOATs

Fucking Dustin likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.