Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019-2020 NFL Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Football • Page 1509

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

It's different from the Cerrato years because people were legit angry then. Nobody cares now. Even when the Caps were getting good, the Skins were still the main team there. It doesn't help that Snyder's been a total sourpuss about everyone else in DC having success. They've distanced themselves from the fanbase badly.

2. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I know this isn’t the point you’re trying to make, but never in the curriculum of either of the business schools I’ve been to was anything remotely close to what you’re suggesting. There are generally very good ethical discussions that have, in my experience, never ended in “profit over people”

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. Yeah that wasn't my experience either.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

That was pretty accurate for my business ethics class but I took that class around a year before the recession hit.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  5. I think it's accurate in practice but I was not outright taught that. I know we're splitting hairs though.

6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

You should see the training/drills my girlfriend has to go through as a high school teacher in the town right next to Parkland. Horrifying.

Their big news this year was that the school was able to offer tourniquets to every classroom.

7. socklord

Trusted

Holy shit

8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My point from the beginning of all this was IF they were going to reduce Myles's suspension, they don't have to explain WHY. Just as they reduced Pouncey's suspension and didn't say why. It happens literally all the time in sports. Suspensions get reduced and there's no 'big to do' on why. It's just typically a quick, brief statement. Whether they used the microphone access or not, no one would have to know.

9. socklord

Trusted

One of the only bright spots for the Eagles offense this year has been Dallas Goedert. Here’s what PFF has to say:

10. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I don’t know if this actually happens. I would imagine it doesn’t happen often, because I think it would come out a lot more or more players would be blacklisted if it did. But maybe I’m being naive.

I do think it’s a bummer that Rudolph will have to live with these accusations forever now. Sure he’s a “maga-guy”, so he’s tied to some of that. But we can’t assume everyone in that camp throws around racial slurs and is racist. My parents voted for Trump, but do not subscribe to his racial biases.
    I think we just have to be careful not to fall into this tribalism that’s so strong these days and make sure to not fall into the traps of assumptions.

DooDooBird likes this.
  11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I was so excited about that dual threat before this season started. What do you think has been the deal with Ertz? Seems like he just gets doubled up and shut down every game. I know the Pats shut him down good last week.

13. socklord

Trusted

I think it’s a combination of him getting more attention from the defense as the #1 target in the passing game, as well as the Eagles now fielding a small-ball offense with no one stretching the field. There have been so many throws behind the sticks with no deep threat, which hurts Ertz a ton because that dude isn’t gonna be getting separation. When he does catch the ball, he’s not getting much YAC. Never really has been a YAC guy either. He’s more of a possession receiver.

Another problem is that Alshon plays the same exact role as Ertz does. Not much separation, contested catches, not much YAC. When three of your four WR/TE options on the field are Alshon/Ertz/Goedert, you’re not stretching the field and Wentz is likely throwing into tight windows often. There’s a lot of redundancy in the passing game as it’s constructed. It’s fine for the TEs because that’s their game. I mean, Ertz/Goedert is a fantastic duo when most teams don’t even have one good TE. I’d like to see the Eagles shy away from big, physical guys at WR moving forward because they have enough of that with Ertz/Goedert.

I think Ertz would be much more effective if the offense can become more dynamic with some speed/separation from its receivers. It would clear out the middle of the field more for him.

oldjersey likes this.
  14. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Juju and Conner are probably out this week. It’s pretty much a preseason game for the offense.

15. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I took a communications law and ethics class once and it was by far my favorite class.

StuffinCups likes this.
  16. EntryLevelTank

When you don't really need to worry about the RBs and WRs it makes shutting down Ertz easy. The Pats had Gilmore on Ertz most of the night because putting him on Agholar would be a waste.

socklord likes this.
  17. socklord

Trusted

Yep. I’d argue that Alshon isn’t really a threat anymore either. Dude is just alright at this point. I honestly think he’s washed. He’s struggled a bit with drops since coming to Philly and he’s not a big yardage guy. His game is contested catches, moving the chains, and touchdowns. Thing is, when the Eagles are struggling to move the ball down the field and Alshon is continuing to struggle with injuries/drops, he’s not helping the team out much. You ever watch that dude run after the catch? It’s painful.

18. EntryLevelTank

They need to invest heavily in skill positions next year

socklord likes this.
  19. socklord

Trusted

20. socklord Nov 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 22, 2019)
    socklord

Trusted

Completely agreed. I’d like to see them invest heavily in the WR position in the draft, as well as CB. Aren’t really many appealing WRs set to hit FA in 2020. I’m not interested in the Eagles signing some 30+ year old WR, even if it’s someone like AJ Green. Would love Amari Cooper, but I don’t think the Cowboys let him walk. Even if they do, I don’t think the Eagles will be able to afford him.

21. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Run the damn ball is fun and all, but watching Deshaun Watson last night made me really miss having an even remotely potent downfield passing attack

SeeTheLights, CarpetElf and socklord like this.
  22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Like, this is not a good stat in the NFL in the year 2019

23. socklord

Trusted

I’ve always wondered if Reich has felt the need to lean on the run more due to the situation at QB and WR. He’s heavily into analytics. He has to know that his offense isn’t operating at the most efficient level, even if it has resulted in a winning record thus far.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  24. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I’m sure that has a lot to do with it. Which makes sense given that Luck retired at the beginning of the season, Brissett’s been banged up this past month and doesn’t look 100%, and the top 3 WRs have been hurt more time than they’ve played.

I’m interested to see if Ballard/Reich think it’s situational to the injuries this year but think Brissett’s their guy and try the same thing again next year, or if they bring in a viable threat to Brissett next year to be the QB of the future

25. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Its funny, because as someone who thought Brissett would flop, he's actually been halfway decent. He's not the long-term answer, but, he's not actively hurting the team a la a Trubisky type performance. And he's done that half the time without Ty Hilton, who if you told me would miss half their games, I'd have said the Colts were a 3-8 team right now at best.

I dont even think you need analytics to know that a middle of the road QB and a solid o-line means you need to run the 50+% of the time. Much in the same way Seattle's consistent lack of WR/TE talent forces them to run a lot.

socklord likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.