Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2020-2021 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 82

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by CarpetElf, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

GrantCloud and Randall Mentzos like this.
  2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Ahem.

you have work to do.

CarpetElf and uuu like this.
  3. DooDooBird

Trusted

CarpetElf and T.J. like this.
  4. DooDooBird

Trusted

EA Sports needs to bring back the video game in 2020, slap Tua on the cover, and cut him a massive check for it. I want my dude to get paid handsomely now that his NFL stock has taken a major blow.

5. T.J.

music and baseball.

the NCAA just needs to start paying their employees

6. DooDooBird

Trusted

Well. Yeah. That’s a given. But it won’t be that simple.

7. T.J.

music and baseball.

i don't think its that difficult, tbh. literally every other industry has figured some sort of way to pay their employees. i don't buy the NCAA's arguments at all. they just don't want to share.

8. DooDooBird

Trusted

Do you just give money to players equally across the board? Give Tua the same paycheck as Felipe Franks?

9. T.J.

music and baseball.

you could pay all of them the same, yes, and then let them capitalize on their fame and impact off the field via endorsements. or you can have an open market where they all negotiate salaries.

GrantCloud and uuu like this.
  10. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

Open market takes away from the lifetime scholarships these kids get. Just take all the money that the NCAA makes and divide it up equally per team. Do some teams make more than others? You bet. That's a recruiting advantage for sure but it's not like money isn't one already.

I get why the NCAA doesn't want to do it, because then a HS kid can argue that HE should get paid, and then the sport dies. The kids need to get paid at the college level. Make rosters max out at like 80 or something.

11. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

There's 1000 ways to figure it out, they should've done so long ago.

12. T.J.

music and baseball.

why do you think that would be the case? for me, i could see it being a part of the negotiation process. for example, a player says to a school, "I would like a full-time scholarship and $30,000 a year."

13. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

Athletic scholarships would disappear entirely in an open market. They only exist now in place of payment to begin with. It's $23,058 a year out of state for Nebraska, they would just offer a kid $45,000, knowing he has to attend the school to play there, they get almost half of that back. An open market creates WAY too many issues, especially because as of right now, the players don't hold the power. There isn't an alternative as long as the NFL wants you X years removed from HS.

Best way to do it is pay them all the same and then let them make money off their name and likeness, etc. like you said.

T.J. likes this.
  14. DooDooBird Nov 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2019)
    DooDooBird

Trusted

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. timcsheehan

Regular

UGA fan here just to say that I'm terrified of playing LSU in 3 weeks.

GrantCloud and CarpetElf like this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Holding out hope I can get free tickets to the SEC championship game/the Peach Bowl.

GrantCloud likes this.
  17. DooDooBird Nov 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 18, 2019)
    DooDooBird

Trusted

I think it will be a good game. I think UGA will want to keep the ball out of Burrow's hands and try to chew up clock on LSU's mediocre defense. It should be good. I'd set the line at like LSU 3.5 point favorite or something close.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

DooDooBird likes this.
  19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Go Phins???

GrantCloud likes this.
  20. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

DooDooBird and CarpetElf like this.
  21. dallasc

Trusted

P good

bigmike likes this.
  22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

TJ Clemmings

GrantCloud and Night Channels like this.
  23. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Tj clemmings had a brutal foot fracture

24. Night Channels

Trusted

I will never, ever be impressed by an Oregon OL's pass blocking grade, especially if it comes from PFF.

GrantCloud and CarpetElf like this.
  25. dallasc

Trusted

Paul Finebaum can suck shit, this is embarrassing

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.