Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019-2020 NBA Season Thread Basketball • Page 8

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. MyBestFiend

go birds Supporter

Butler is 100% worth a max

2. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

while this makes sense, I dont think he will. After what happened in San Antonio with his injury and him being so cautious about reinjuring himself, then looking at KDs injury, and now his value being the highest it possibly could be I think hed want to cash in big now.

Max_123, Joe4th, Blainer93 and 4 others like this.
  4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

slowheart and Mrplum5089 like this.
  5. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Dope

slowheart likes this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

7. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I underestimated Rob Pelinka

8. EntryLevelTank

Scorching hot take: Max contracts are stupid

Argus and fowruok like this.
  9. Dodger

Man I really hope Lakers break up the 32 million and go for quality role players and depth over just one max player.

a nice person and Josh Awesome like this.
  10. EntryLevelTank

I hope they max out a guy they traded away

11. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Oh, I completely agree. They'll get paid -- the market's pretty clear. I'm just saying that if I were an NBA GM, I would think twice before giving out max contracts or multi-year mega-deals to players who aren't in the same league as someone like Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. Too often, they'll just cripple a franchise. John Wall's, Chris Paul's, and Nic Batum's contracts immediately come to mind. And would the Sixers even be able to field a complete team around Embiid and Simmons in their prime when Butler's making $44 million in the last year of his deal? And this year, their starters will be great if they get Butler/Harris, but will they be able to put together a bench?

I just like the Nuggets' or even the Raptors' method of roster completion this past year, especially since the Sixers already have two stars. I wouldn't mind the Sixers taking the $32.7 million they'd owe Butler/Harris and turn it into short-term deals for guys who better complement Embiid/Simmons and be able to keep better financial flexibility.

That said, it's a league where you need stars to compete, and I'm a fan of Jimmy Butler. So I'm obviously not 100% sure what the best strategy should be.

12. EntryLevelTank

The only reason max contracts exist is to prevent huge markets like the Lakers gobbling up all the talent like Lebron james and Anthon.....oh...whoops

Mrplum5089 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  13. Josh Awesome

@team_newton Prestigious

So glad that the Lakers opened up the max level cap space so we can stop talking about them like they had 23 million in cap space. That was getting kind of old. Smart move by Pelinka. That feels weird to say.

14. Josh Awesome

@team_newton Prestigious

I think smart fans would realize this is probably the route to go...unless they get Kawhi. You have to take Kawhi for the max 10 out of 10 times.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

To maximize his contract situation he’d sign a 2-year max with Tor then he’d be eligible for a larger max deal two summers from now ($38M) because he’ll have 10 years in.

16. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Wagner is gonna loveeee being on the wizards

17. Dodger

oh yea for sure. Thats probably the only person that would be worth giving all of their money to, but even then I hope it wouldnt happen personally.

18. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

kawhi going to the lakers would be the lamest thing ever

19. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

We’d be back at where we were with the warriors being OD good.

StepsInADance likes this.
  20. Josh Awesome

@team_newton Prestigious

You're probably right, but I will always think KD signing with the Warriors was the fucking lamest thing to happen in the NBA in a long time. I'm biased though.

StepsInADance likes this.
  21. Dodger

Honestly even when LeBron was on the Cavs this is the first time in a long time Ive been interested in the NBA because its so wide open and the Warriors superteam is over. As much as Im rooting for LeBron if Kawhi goes to the Lakers Id be back to having little to no interest.

Really hope it doesnt happen. Stay in Toronto Kawai. Durant and Kyrie go to the Nets. Kemba to the Celtics. Butler and Harris stay with the 6ers. Everyone agree? K good

slimfenix182 likes this.
  22. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I mean it really didn't result in that much

23. Josh Awesome

@team_newton Prestigious

They won 2 out of 3 titles...and probably would've won this one if KD was healthy. I personally think that resulted in a lot haha.

incognitojones and Blainer93 like this.
  24. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

They totally are. In a year or two (if not sooner) most of the teams with space this summer will be trying to trade guys for peanuts on the dollar to duck the tax, just like everyone who splurged in 2016. Obviously sitting on one's hands and leaving that money unspent isn't going to win games, but it's funny how teams keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.