Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019-2020 NBA Season Thread Basketball • Page 167

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

The Lakers are not missing the playoffs.

2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The team is built around two stars, one is getting old and they're both injury prone at this point. Outside of them the roster is a mess and they have no real depth. They can not withstand AD missing games, if Lebron misses games they're a much worse team than what AD had in New Orleans last year. They need both guys operating at a high level to have a chance against these West teams, and I would not bet on that happening for a large portion of the games.

And if they are all healthy and consistent, the roster construction is a mess. They don't have a starting caliber point guard, Danny Green was already falling apart in the playoffs this season, they're going to give big minutes to Javale or Dwight instead of playing AD at the center where he makes more sense because they can't risk pissing him off while he's only guaranteed for one year. They have all the signs of a team with too much pressure to win big that just can't live up to the hype.

I said the Lebron Lakers would miss the playoffs last year, this thread made fun of me, I was right, and this team might be worse. I don't have a lot of faith in the superstar + veterans formula, outside of the Mavs championship I guess.

3. (They woulda made the playoffs without an injury.)

I’m saying it’s a full playoff ban if they make the playoffs this year. Punishment must fit the amount of posts.

[​IMG]

GrantCloud, phaynes12 and DrAlanGrant like this.
  4. MikeERayner

Trusted

Kemba on fire

5. MikeERayner

Trusted

PATTY. MILLS.

Blainer93 likes this.
  6. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

are you willing to ban yourself if I am right?

7. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

8. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

these are my thoughts on it as well. the cousins situation just made it more clear how poorly they built this team. like they got a guy who was coming off two serious injuries in 2 years and when they lost him to injury their plan was either javale or getting howard back? and thats supposed to be the favorite to win the championship!?

i know it will always feel silly to count out lebron but if anything last year showed that he is not superman and eventually he'll be too old to carry shitty teams like this. and ad isn't exactly the healthiest guy either. this team's situation is just so precarious that i dont have to try too hard to imagine a playoffs without them. hope im wrong though because im dying to see playoff bron again.

9. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I’m not saying AD has been the pinnacle of health, but I think his injury risk is a bit overstated and dramaticized. He is certainly the king of “heading to the locker room,” though.

10. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I'm still convinced the Lakers make it to the playoffs this year but can't deny there's a recipe for absolute disaster there

11. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Would be even better if it's bucks lakers finals and the bucks sweep them

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

big mood

13. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

MikeERayner and scottlechowicz like this.
  14. MikeERayner

Trusted

Going to USA v Canada tonight :)

aoftbsten likes this.
  15. MikeERayner

Trusted

We’ve got deafening chants for Lopez here haha

16. Sometimes, it’s just time to give credit where it’s due. Instead of giving Antetokounmpo the credit he deserves, though, Harden sounded spoiled, like a sore loser who lost to the new kid at his favorite game. He didn’t win the MVP, so there had to be a conspiracy.

This is familiar territory for Harden and the Rockets. After not getting foul calls in Game 1 of the West semifinals, Harden blamed the officials and said he just wants “a fair chance" against Golden State. Or when the Rockets launched an internal “investigation” into officiating and determined they would have won the 2018 conference finals against Golden State had the referees called the series differently.

The Rockets are an organization that lives and dies by the numbers, and when the numbers don’t add up for them, they don’t blame the numbers; they blame the world. It wasn’t the refs who put the Warriors in the 2018 finals; it was Kevin Durant and Steph Curry. And it wasn’t the media who stole James Harden’s personal property, the NBA MVP trophy.

It was Giannis Antetokounmpo, and he’s never giving it back.

Will James Harden or the Rockets ever stop complaining?

Lol

17. phaynes12 likes this.
  18. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

They didn’t listen to the interview apparently nor did all the dweebs who are still talking about it

19. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

It's almost like the media is.... Pushing a narrative.

20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

whom can say

21. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

alleged audio of boogie telling his babys mama that he'll put a bullet through her head, wtf?

22. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Yikessssss

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I don't really feel terribly compelled one way or the other with regard to who should win the MVP. But shitty arguments irk me and this paragraph is ...very bizarre, to say the least:

Counting stats tell us nothing about whether Harden or Giannis's "dominance was felt on every corner of the floor."

Harden averaged 36 points, 6.5 rebounds, 7.5 assists, and 2 steals and just under 1 block per game. In short, his counting stats are WAY more impressive than Giannis's counting stats.

So that article essentially makes Harden's point for him. Their argument for why Giannis won the MVP is the Bucks won more games (fine, but that is more about narrative than anything else and has never been the consistent criteria before) and then the counting stats (which Harden crushed Giannis in).

There is a solid argument to be made that Giannis's overall impact made him more valuable than Harden and, therefore, more deserving of the MVP. But you have to actually be basketball literate to make that argument and the NY Daily News...is not.

So, basically, it was the narrative.

24. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  25. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Leave it to Boogie to fuck up something as straightforward as his own wedding

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.