Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2019 MLB Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Baseball • Page 901

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Brenden, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. broken22

(:

With the way it's going is it fair to say that the Phillies could end up with both Harper and Machado ?

2. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

No one knows exactly what they offered them or what the timetable was to accept those offers. You have to wait and see how your market plays out, as an agent you're just guessing. It's possible they would've signed already but a team withdrew its offer and signed someone else instead because an agent got bad info that another team would give more. You can't blame a player for not signing yet because their agent misread how the market would play out. And because of that it's easy to see how someone might assume collusion could happen once a player becomes an FA.

3. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

It’s time to stop the stigma around ten-year contracts

As revenues increase, players’ share of the revenues should also increase, almost certainly resulting in another great future player being most paid, only to be replaced by someone else at a later time. How is that in any way bad?

4. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

also lol

DaydreamNation and Jason Tate like this.
  5. The age factor is certainly true, but the backend of those deal will still likely be a bad deal for the team.

6. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

but why even look at the backend in isolation? if they ball out in the beginning and put up crazy surplus value, who cares if they're struggling in the end? should every single year of a contract have surplus value?

7. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

i cant wait for some fanbase to be pissed that Mike Trout kind of sucks when he's 42 despite putting up 5000 WAR in the front half of his contract

T.J. likes this.
  8. So why does the contract have to last until he’s 42? Like, why is it wrong for a team to offer something like 30m per season over 6 years rather than over 10 years? (This is all hypothetical).

But to invest in something for 10 years is a huge risk. No matter how great a player is.

9. T.J.

music and baseball.

The mistake is that people look at it in terms of AAV. If you put up 100 WAR, but the last two years you put up -1, it doesn't make the contract bad.

10. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

We had this conversation last year. If the owners don't want to be paying lopsided contracts like that, they shouldn't have players entering free agency for the first time at an age where they have to be chasing those types of contracts just to end up with a lifetime earning at all commensurate with their lifetime value. Bryce wants his bag because he's already played however many years making nothing close to what he's worth because of arbitration and free agency rules that benefit the owners. Bottom line: pay players what they're worth when they're 23 and you won't have to pay them 10x what they're worth when they're 37. (This is also on the union for agreeing to that awful deal)

11. I don’t disagree with this at all

12. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

slimfenix182 and Jason Tate like this.
  13. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow, that's not bad

14. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Sounds good to me. I think they would have to move someone else to make room for Long though

15. dotKev

@dotkevin

As long as Gray is gone, I'm good with whatever compensation.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Can't fault Cashman for the trade, if he was what he should have been would've made a difference. Seems like a textbook "can't handle NY" case and you just can't predict it. Oh well lol

dotKev likes this.
  17. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

A lot of dynasty league folks I follow who go to az league and what not have been high on long for awhile. I don't think he'll be on the Yankees whenever he is ready, though. Wouldn't be surprised. If they flipped what they got for another pitcher.

18. Zoshchenko likes this.
  19. Brent likes this.
  20. Also, triple post but TWENTY-FIVE DAYS until pitchers and catchers report yall, get hype!

21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

DaydreamNation likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

What did he/they say?

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Nvm, just read it. I have no problem with what he said, he didn’t say anything derogatory. Bring back more heated rivalries, everyone in these sports is too buddy buddy these days.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

On the same hand i have no issues with yadi calling him out. Let it all out on the fieellddd.

Jim likes this.
  25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I will say that someone who freely goes to a Florida Georgia Line concert has no right to call out anything as boring and that’s my two cents on it.

DaydreamNation, Joe4th, Jim and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.