Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018 Grammy Nominees • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I love the Isbell snub and how they just keep trying to push him out of the country scene. Dude's taking it over whether Nashville likes it or not.

Craig Manning, youwontknow and Zilla like this.
  2. I'm not too invested in this, but I really think Melodrama will win AOTY.

Aside from that, happy for lots of people here and I hope Tyler takes Rap Album of the Year (although there's no way it isn't DAMN.)

skogsraet likes this.
  3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Damn cool that Sylvan Esso is nominated

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Lorde is my pick for sure. I loved that album but have also fallen out of hip-hop a bit so I don't know much about Jay, Kendrick, and Childish Gambino lately. Based on Kendrick's earlier work I'd be pretty happy if he won.

5. TuneYouOut

Newbie Supporter

Justice for Harry and Paramore!

Arry and Turkeylegz like this.
  6. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Your avatar reminds me it's been far too long since I listened to Daydream

TuneYouOut likes this.
  7. TuneYouOut

Newbie Supporter

AOTY for the second year in row

Turkeylegz likes this.
  8. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

It would be really cool if Chris Cornell won best performance for The Promise.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

There better be a performance of Bodak Yellow.

skogsraet likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm not that bitter about him not being in the country category. Americana makes sense, even if The Nashville Sound is his most overtly country LP yet. I am bitter about him not getting an AOTY nod.

youwontknow likes this.
  11. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

He's nominated in the Americana catergory. Not a snub, just didn't submit as Country

12. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Starset got snubbed so damn hard in the rock category. Fuck. This is a banger.

13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

The War on Drugs is cool.

I’ve really grown apathetic about these awards shows over the years, though.

14. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

He’s snubbed in all four major awards, which I think he’s a total contender for. Also not a big fan of the country sub genres in general. Is “Alt-Country” that far off that Isbell can’t compete in the country category? I win in the Alt-Country category isn’t going to drive streams/buys like a win the in Country category would.

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ultimately, it depends on what they televise. Two years ago, they televised Best Country album. Last year, they did not. Best Americana Album almost never gets televised, though, so you're probably right that Best Country Album is more likely to get you a boost.

But yeah, he should have gotten a Song of the Year nomination. There is no way in hell five people wrote better songs than "If We Were Vampires" this year. Sorry.

youwontknow and Ben Lee like this.
  16. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

His Tiny Desk was so good. And love how he invited a fan up to play with him and the band! Then they’re starting the tune and Jason is like “now don’t do anything crazy Aswin!” Lol

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Ed Sheeran wasn't snubbed, his music isn't good enough for it to be called that. But damn, I really thought his album would likely be one of the ones Kendrick would lose to

Also, hope the better choices than normal in nominees means Grammys will have their heads on straight this time and FINALLY give Kendrick AOTY (did someone already say that ITT? I haven't read the whole thing)

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Analog Drummer

Regular

Fair call about Ed Sheeran, he’d have to feel hard done by

19. 4:44 and Melodrama are two of the biggest releases of the year, what is this "did anyone even listen to them" nonsense

20. jjnunn118

Divide is a milestone in mediocrity. Not deserving in the slightest

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. jjnunn118

You have a profound misunderstanding of what the Grammys are supposed to represent. It's supposed to represent quality, not what's popular.

I say supposed to though because there have been some questionable choices in the path. Not nominating Ed Sheeran is a step in the right direction

22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Lorde makes a lot more sense than Childish Gambino as an AOTY nomination, tbh. Melodrama had probably the best critical reception for a pop album this year, while I don’t think many people expected Gambino to get nominated here

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. LJ Rime

Regular

Both are nominated though...

24. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Someone above was confused about Lorde and Jay-Z being nominated but said Gambino made sense so I was responding to that

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious