Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018 Chorus.fm NFL Mock Draft 2.0 • Page 23

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm hoping Randall helps me and takes one of my guys here.

2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Atlanta Falcons select Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford.

Levine Toilolo departed this offseason, and Atlanta needs another TE with plus blocking ability to maintain their running game dominance. Schultz is not only a human bulldozer who would add juice to the trenches immediately, but he offers solid athleticism and was used in a very NFL-style tight end role at Stanford. His blocking technique is good already and despite not being much of a pass catcher, did run a standard route tree.

He should slide in right away in "big" sets as a run blocker while Atlanta coaches him and figures out what he might offer as a pass catcher. There's a chance he's good value that gets overlooked due to a great class of pass-catching / move TEs.

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Interesting.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

New Orleans Saints select Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Thomas comes out very raw but he has a lot of potential and would benefit from New Orleans's system, especially since he wouldn't be thrown right into the fire and he could get second team reps with Lamar Jackson and develop together. The reception on Thomas seems pretty consistent - no one doubt his drive and his potential, but his flaws are apparent. His route tree is limited and his blocking technique is rusty. That being said, he's a great athlete, a team player, willing to learn and adjust, and could easily be a future asset to the Saints.

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

6. Randall Mentzos

just realized the Jags' guy was taken too, fuck.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Funny, I'm having the opposite problem with my teams lol

8. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

What do you guys think of this? Since we're almost done with the 3rd round, how about we stop there and get a 3rd one going right before the draft? I'd try to organize it and get it started sometime Monday/Tuesday.

buttsaywat and CarpetElf like this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I can dig it.

10. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I'm game.

11. buttsaywat

What's this for?

I'm in.

12. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Steelers select Brian O'Neill - OLine - Pitt

Not by design, but Steelers dip back into their backyard for their second third round pick. With the loss of Chris Hubbard, and the possible exit of Ramon Foster next year, they need to start restocking the Oline cupboard. O'Neill possesses the quick and nimble feet Pittsburgh likes and is a great fit for Munchak's zone scheme. He can sit under the current line for a year or so to grow out of his rawness and hopefully reach his potential.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

14. I'm fine with starting over next week

15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

yeah I already hate my picks, let's reset lol

CarpetElf and buttsaywat like this.
  16. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

I'll back this

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

My Cards draft is pretty perfect tbh

18. Where’d Randall go

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  19. Randall Mentzos Apr 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2018)
    Randall Mentzos

Jags are loaded with athleticism in space, especially at LB, and it helps us a lot against the pass. But we are undersized and tend to overpursue, which is an Achilles heel against power running teams. It was a problem in 4 of 5 losses (both Titans/Jets/Rams).

Calais Campbell and Marcell Dareus improved the line. But while Telvin Smith and Myles Jack show remarkable initial instincts and recovery speed, they get avalanched down the field when blockers box them in. You can't use a finesse LB at SAM, and we only got away with it by having a top notch run-support corner in sub packages (Colvin, who we just lost.) We need a real take-on linebacker that can remain downhill and push the pile into the runningback's path.

Jaguars select Tegray Scales, SLB, Indiana

Scales is strong and his first instinct is always to stack and shed. He flows with the play naturally and is quick to fight back across blockers' faces when the runningback counters directions. He has good eyes for the weak-spot in a blocking scheme, and has ideal patience & timing to wait for the right opportunity to pounce. Good block shedding technique as well, he does the physical/dirty work.

He's also unselfish, he will throw his body into a lead blocker, to force the RB to cutback into his teammates. He knows when to go around and when to be in the way. On the downside, I want to see more consistent open-space tackling, as he sometimes lapses into shoulder-spears and arm-tackles, he also isn't quite as athletic as you'd hope.

Despite that, his instincts do make him a well-rounded player -- he's an opportunistic pass rusher who "finds a way", and shows disciplined eyes and anticipation in coverage as routes develop. 13 sacks / 8 INTs in two seasons, very good resume'.

But he's most effective in a crowd and that's what impresses me. Doesn't get disoriented by blockers all around him, doesn't fall for misdirection or read-option, doesn't waste a second when he sees a lane to the tackle. He takes very good angles and naturally avoids criss-crossing traffic in backside pursuit. I watched tape against Wisconsin, 2016 Ohio State, and Penn State/Saquon Barkley -- the dude made plays constantly against some of the best power running teams in CFB.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. ClarettsGreyGoose

You son of a bitch

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Minnesota Vikings select Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama

Averett has all the tools to be a difference-maker but he will need a little coaching to complete his game. Could be a steal at this point in the draft.

CarpetElf likes this.
  22. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I’m real happy with my pats draft.

23. ClarettsGreyGoose

Might be a little busy tomorrow, anyone want to take down my top 3 for #96

24. Randall Mentzos

I'm stoked about what I've done with the Jags as well. Still 2 positions I'm trying to fill, but improving our receiving corps this much would be worth missing out on one of those.