Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018-2019 NFL Season Thread Football • Page 38

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

If Wentz is ready, I still rest him a couple more games. Just roll with Sudfield or whatever else is available. You had the #1 record in the NFL last year and won the Super Bowl, you'll live.

2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Where is Allen Robinson’s damn franchise tag

It is 9:11 AM eastern time. We’re a good 9 hours late.

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The only way I don't trade Foles is if he specifically says he wants to be Wentz's back-up. It may not be the best move for you, but it's certainly not going to hurt you, and he's earned the right to ask for that imo.

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Bruh it's still 1960 in Jacksonville, give it a minute.

5. Randall Mentzos

LOL tru

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Also, I would much rather see a re-signing of Robinson. It's a bigger risk but it puts us in much better position to re-sign Ramsey, Yannick, Jack, and maybe Fowler.

7. Randall Mentzos

Nah, we don’t know what Robinson is post-injury yet. To pay him what he earned for showing his ceiling in 2015, might be a mistake if he doesn’t get back to that level. If he’s declined a lot maybe we don’t resign and just hold on to ALL that money for other contract extensions.

He’s earned the tag, he’s too talented to just throw away after an injury, but he still needs to prove 2015 wasn’t a fluke.

If he has another stellar year, this year under the tag, then I can comfortably say I’m fine with shedding a defensive player like Fowler to keep a WR like THAT. Repeating 1400/14 is probably impossible now that we are a run-first team, but I want to see 1100+ yards and 7+ TDs.

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Your situation has two end results:

1. He doesn't perform, we cut him, and we have absolutely NO receivers. AKA - We're done.
    2. He DOES perform, we now have to pay him more AAV, and likely screw ourselves out of keeping both Yannick and Jack, and we definitely lose Fowler and Yeldon.

Just pay him now. He's worth MAYBE as much per year as the franchise tag would give him. Maybe. If we wait, he'll end up costing us a whole lot more. Just front load his contract and give us an early out like we did with Hurns.

9. broken22

(:

I'm very paranoid. I think they should trade Foles too but it's just a tough spot to be in because you don't know what's up with Wentz come week 1 and beyond that.

10. Randall Mentzos

He wouldn’t be THAT much more expensive. Maybe 2-3 million more AAV if he really balled out. Your second scenario is exaggerated a lot. He’s already gonna get at least 12 AAV if we just sign him now.

First scenario is possible and unfortunate but it isn’t that horrible, we just went to the AFC championship game in a year we mostly had no receivers. We’d draft / sign some people out of necessity if that happened, and the rest of our team is built well enough to survive our WR room becoming a weak point if ARob isnt “back”.

11. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Okay, the difference between 13 million per and 16 million per is pretty big haha. The second scenario is not exaggerated at all.

Except we don't have Lee or Hurns. We have to overdraft a couple guys to compensate. Also, our team is not built well enough for Keelan Cole to be our #1 receiver. That is A.B.S.U.R.D. LOL. If you mean it's well enough to compensate for ARob not being his 2015 self, then you should be agreeing with me since my plan is looking at the future haha. I want Yannick and Jack.

13. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Regardless what is going to happen with Wentz (whether or not he will be ready to start the year) you HAVE to trade Foles if you get a good offer. He won't be resigning with the Eagles after 2018 no matter what, not to mention the Eagles are going to have to start worrying about planning for the Wentz contract.

Foles should want traded now since his demand will likely never be higher. This is his chance to get traded and cash in because at 29 years old, this is probably close to his last shot to getting something he hasn't had yet.

If the Eagles keep him and he plays the first 3-4-5 games and is just average, he's doing major damage to his free agent status in 2019.

14. Randall Mentzos Feb 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2018)
    Randall Mentzos

A difference of 3 million in the salary cap is not gonna make us lose four guys??? Might not make us lose any if we don’t resign Lee and cut Hurns?

Like you originally said, sure, we lose Dante. But that’s in a scenario that Robinson proves he’s a true WR1, so yeah I easily accept the cost of shedding a complementary pass rusher who was overdrafted, and replacing him in the draft

Don’t you start twisting my point just to justify being condescending. You’re really annoying about this sometimes. I said we’d draft and sign some people and I said we can still win if our receivers overall are subpar - which HAPPENED this year. We would obviously need to add talent in that scenario so we aren’t RELYING on Cole.

15. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

No, I didn't say that. I said we would lose out on keeping BOTH of them. Yeldon only stays if we have the extra $$$ and even then that's an if. If Fowler continues to improve I imagine our plan for him is taking over for Campbell full time. Yeah, Fowler and Yeldon are likely gone as it is. I'm more concerned about keeping both Yannick and Jack, which becomes harder when we have to front load Robinson's contract to ensure we have space for Ramsey. It's the smarter thing to do, think about it. Buy low on Robinson, front load the deal, give us an out in two years. If Robinson is sub-par, then we can still win, like you said. It makes much more sense. Look at the Baltimore Ravens. They've had receiver problems for years because they got desperate and had to keep drafting whatever was available. I don't want to be that. This is the smart move for Robinson and the future of the team haha.

17. Randall Mentzos Feb 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2018)
    Randall Mentzos

You might be right but I’m just saying there is a third alternative.

If Robinson gets franchised, doesn’t perform, and we didn’t lock ourselves into a contract then we can probably keep everybody else. And then WR just goes to the very top of our list of off-season needs, we’d probably draft one in the first round in 2019, as well as adding one or two more elsewhere.

If he does perform? Yeah he’ll probably go from 12.5 mill to 15.5-16 mill AAV, and I can see why signing him now is worth the risk cause we might get a bargain... but if we waited, 1) at least we’d know for sure he earned it - Robinson’s ceiling is ridiculous, and him reaching that potential would be worth that money 2) I don’t think that’s gonna hurt us as much as you think it would, because he’d still be our only receiver who makes more than rookie contract money.

You’re arguing that a front loaded contract in ‘19 makes us lose either Jack or Yannick - but at that point we wouldn’t even need to front load it since we aren’t paying other receivers. If anything we structure it differently so we can still afford Campbell/Malik early on

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Again, Baltimore Ravens. We become a team that HAS to take a WR.

That's still a difference of $4 million per year and could absolutely hurt us.

It doesn't matter if we're paying other receivers. I'm saying we front load the deal now, for two years, so he's cheap (or cuttable) in his final two seasons, and we can for sure afford both Yannick and Jack. Also, Keelan Cole's contract is up in 2019 as well.

19. broken22

(:

He's earned that in every way, he did something he wasn't supposed to do and it was one of the coolest things ever. Even if they did throw Sudfeld in for a couple game to let Wentz rest Doug has fully shown that he was the coaching ability to win games with who ever is under center. I'm not saying he could win with Tom Savage or anything but I think you get what I mean ha.

20. broken22

(:

Not to mention they could get back once Wentz is 100%.

21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

22. Night Channels

Trusted

Martin really fell off

23. broken22

(:

Talking about a down fall.

24. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

25. broken22

(:

I'm bummed Duce didn't get the OC job

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.