Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018-2019 NFL Season Thread Football • Page 1483

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

That's exactly what I was channeling hahaha along with Kelly

[​IMG]

Owlex, Joe4th, Texas Flood and 2 others like this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

1. Black and White
    2. Samoa
    3. Oatmeal Raisin
    4. Soft Ginger
    5. Cowboy

Definitive cookie ranking

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  3. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

What the hell is a cowboy cookie?

4. Fucking Dustin

Find a new slant

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's like the cookie equivalent of a morning glory muffin

7. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

This GIF is backwards. He only says “my man” in that movie when he’s about to get PISSED haha

8. Randall Mentzos

If you vote to take this away then you can’t also say Brees is underrated. Those two concepts contradict. Like a third of Brees yards and scores are dump offs to running backs, and doing that so often is how his completion percentage and rating are so high despite being an aggressive passer aside from that.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

If you used to like these we are now best friends

[​IMG]

10. Randall Mentzos

I like QB rating. You can’t expect a stat that consolidates both efficiency and execution to be PERFECT. But it’s a pretty damn good reference for which QB are making good decisions and good throws the most often. If they succeed throwing a lot of high percentage passes like screens or whatever, that just shows they aren’t too greedy and tend to know when the simple call is the right call, so that falls under “decision making” for me and I do think it’s a valuable part of QB rating.

Chad Pennington actually was extremely efficient haha. He has the highest career completion percentage of all time at 72% im pretty sure. So he’s not as stark of a counterexample as you guys suggested. He just wasn’t a BIG NUMBERS guy and didn’t have the arm to throw downfield too often. But he was stellar at anticipating timing so that his noodle arm could drop touch throws.

If you rank QB rating in any given season it certainly gives you the most informative frame of reference for who performed well and who performed poorly.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Drew Brees is top five in yards per attempt, has a higher air yards traveled than Tom Brady, and a higher intended air yards than Kirk Cousins.

PepsiOne likes this.
  12. Randall Mentzos

Yes but these are averages. He also throws short passes to his RB more than most QB. Both can be true. Last year around 40% of his passes went to runningbacks, not sure if I could find that stat again now but it definitely came up during a game.

In fact I’d argue throwing to RB so much and beating teams the easy way is what opens up so many downfield passing lanes for him in the first place. He forces the defenses to play the line of scrimmage because he can’t be aggressive when they drop in 7-8 man zones.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

He also has a better pass catching RB than most QBs. Weird thing to penalize him for. Also, you missed yards in the air, which is important

14. Randall Mentzos

No, I didn’t haha. Brees can have high averages but still throw a lot of dinky passes. He just also throws more really long passes too which stretches the numbers to a higher average.

I’m not “penalizing him”, you and Dustin are lol. By saying that those kinds of passes shouldn’t be part of quarterback rating, but also regarding the QB who does that the MOST as “underrated”

15. Fucking Dustin

To be fair I don't think Brees is underrated hahaha

I think history is rating him well

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  16. Fucking Dustin

And I don't think that should change passer rating btw I just think it's something that'd be cool to account for when looking at general stats for a QB

CarpetElf and Randall Mentzos like this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah, exactly.

18. Randall Mentzos

Okay I agree with this. If you could actually pull up split stats that show how much of a portion of their numbers come from screens / swings / RB routes, how much is downfield, how much is intermediate sideline and how much is intermediate middle of the field.

19. Randall Mentzos

I just didn’t agree because I thought you were saying that QB shouldn’t get as much credit for that,

Players like Brees do it on purpose to open up the defense for more downfield throws later on in the game plan. It seems like he’s just taking the easy answer, but it’s part of his overall strategy for the whole season and how he remains hard to gameplan for.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Plus, they put Kamara out wide a lot. AND they don't have any other receivers so of course he's his number two target. If Brees is really out there throwing all these dinky passes then his averages are actually being brought DOWN by that high volume. Which would mean his Completed Air Yards (.1 behind Aaron Rodgers) is actually very impressive considering.

21. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

marsupial jones and CarpetElf like this.
  22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Exactly, yeah. Looking at the numbers from 2016 (because that's the closest I could find) the top five starting QBs in terms of number of screens thrown were Brees, Ryan, Brady, Ben, and Manning.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  23. Randall Mentzos

This long since predates Kamara though. He threw a lot of RB passes when he had Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Travaris Cadet, etc Sean Payton’s offense has always highly prioritized that sort of thing to keep the defense honest.

And yeah I would say Brees averages don’t really make a strong point because he is on both extremes of the spectrum. He both throws a lot more long passes AND a lot more short passes than most QB haha. (In exchange he seems to throw fewer 5-8 air-yards passes). And the latter opens up the former which is why I was arguing both are vital parts his of QB rating

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

If you have oatmeal raisin in your top three, you need help.

whitenblue88 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

oatmeal raisin is delicious you uncultured fuck

Joe4th and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.