Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018-2019 NFL Season Thread Football • Page 1305

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

A fun one I thought of is making OPI the same as DPI. DPI 15 yards out? Move it 15 yards up! OPI 15 yards out? Move it 15 yards back!

2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Your whole point still relies on making hindsight decisions though. Teams could essentially “tank” for the wrong player all the time. Meanwhile, JJ Watt was the 11th pick in the draft, Rodgers was like the 21st or something, etc, the hype and cost of drafting someone isn’t always correct!

Its just better to let things fall where they may. There have been drafts where pick 1 wasn’t as good as pick 3-4-5. Where picks 5-8 aren’t as good as 10-13.

As Woody says in Toy Story, “you’re not flying, you’re falling with style.” Having more control of the situation still doesn’t mean you’re gonna make the right call, sometimes you get lucky that a guy high on your board ended up being a bust on another team. I often imagine the Texans drafting Gabbert if we didn’t because they also needed a QB, and since we did, they “settled” at the time for a guy who ended up the best defensive player of our generation.

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I mean @Randall Mentzos is right. If you hadn't been starting Kessler you'd be telling us that you were tanking because you WEREN'T playing Kessler

4. Fucking Dustin

Ew this is gross

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

6. Fucking Dustin

But to further Randall's point (although he's wrong about the QB situation, we had the #2 offense in the league in 2010 and planned to stick with Schaub), if the Texans tanked that year we would've had Aldon Smith because he was above Watt on our board.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

DPI should definitely not be a spot foul...I really hate that rule

also hate the ball through the end zone/touchback nonsense

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Would I?

9. Fucking Dustin

Yes you would because you'd be saying "Surely he could win more games than Bortles right now" because you wouldn't have that sample to look at

10. Randall Mentzos

Gabbert was seen as a clean mechanics, strong arm, quick decision QB. Critics would’ve praised that pick just like they praised it for us and talked about how NFL ready he looked. That’s the thing. It’s only hindsight after his NFL stint was HORRIBLE and he couldn’t deal with pass rush at all, that we should’ve tanked for Julio Jones or Von Miller or whatever, and there’s the counterexample of the Texans NOT tanking and getting the best player in that draft.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I recall saying we may as well put him in because with Bortles we know we're going to lose and with Kessler we just don't know (even if we can safely assume). But you're right, regardless, I'd have said we are tanking because it seems pretty clear we are tanking haha

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

weird that you can make this point while also saying "the Chargers should've drafted a good prospect, not Ryan Leaf"

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

14. Randall Mentzos

Not weird. We absolutely should’ve drafted somebody else. I can see how it happened though

Here’s the difference - the former is hindsight.

15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

what.

16. Fucking Dustin

What's crazy to me is how the downfall of Leaf was his work ethic and intelligence but he was the prospect who said he didn't like the city of Indianapolis so he could've fooled me

Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

if only hating the city of indianapolise could get me out of work....

18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean the nfl thread makes sense maybe 22 percent of the time

19. Randall Mentzos

It’s only for the end zone the offense is attempting to score. Not for their own end zone.

Keep in mind that also a safety isn’t automatically a safety if you fumble in the end zone or get tackled with the ball in the end zone, they wait till the play is dead and rule forward progress.

This also plays into it: the ball isn’t touching anything. A live ball means a running clock, play can’t stop until it hits the ground. When you fumble into the end zone, they have to see who recovers in order to rule the play dead and determine who scores. When you cross the plane and score a TD, conversely, someone IS touching it.

You can’t just give the offense a TD because of a defensive hold though, even putting them on the 1 yard line is a much bigger punishment than awarding 10 yards anywhere else. Same thing with, if offensive holding inside the 10 meant an automatic safety. Holding happens on every play, that could seriously swing the game.

Also refs get calls wrong haha. This is why I don’t like DPI being a spot foul. Giving up 40 yards because of some bullshit, or getting the ball on the 1 yard line because of some bullshit SUCKS (especially against the Patriots in the 2017 playoffs). It should be half the distance to the spot. Penalties can award yardage but anything that awards an easy score is too much. A team should still have to work to get close to the end zone.

20. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I am the sole reason for that 22%

CarpetElf and GrantCloud like this.
  21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Random fact:

A family friends son lost his car in Indianapolis during the final four a few years ago

They got it from the impound lot like a month or so later

Joe4th, Max_123 and CarpetElf like this.
  22. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

You are 21 I am 1

Max_123 likes this.
  23. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Like it didn't get stolen he just legitimately lost it?

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

?

GrantCloud, Max_123 and CarpetElf like this.
  25. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah homeboy just got too messed up that weekend and forgot where he left it.

But it was when Wisconsin beat undefeated UK so understandable

Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.