2018-2019 NCAA Football Season Thread Football • Page 90

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by CarpetElf, May 25, 2018.

1. CarpetElf

it tastes bad Prestigious

I hate Jimbo.

2. Night Channels

Samchise

The Gamecocks are more exciting than A&M

CarpetElf and PeacefulOrca like this.
  3. CarpetElf

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  4. dorfmac

Regular

I don’t like jimbo, either. And no way on the gamecocks - nothing muschamp has ever overseen has been exciting

5. T.J.

music and baseball.

Y’all are getting too hung upon coaches. It’s about the players, and it’s random on where fun ones pop up.

6. dorfmac

Regular

They never pop up w coach blood. Never.

7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with him, but fuck Mike Leach so the only time I'm anti-playoff is when he brings it up.

Night Channels and PeacefulOrca like this.
  8. DooDooBird

Trusted

Mike Leach's idea for a playoff sounds atrocious. Dude basically wants like 32 teams in there.

9. CarpetElf

What do you even care if it's two teams or 128? same result for you

Joe4th likes this.
  10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I want all the college football. Give me an FCS-like 24 team playoff please.

Joe4th and stars143 like this.
  11. CarpetElf

Again, let's just make the ENTIRE thing a tournament.

64 teams in Division I
    64 teams in Division II
    64 teams in Division III
    64 teams in Division IV
    64 teams in Division V

Bottom three get relegated. Top three get promoted.

bigmike, Joe4th and stars143 like this.
  12. CarpetElf

And just like that, CarpetElf decided no actual work would be getting done that day.

Joe4th likes this.
  13. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Oh a promotion/relegation league is an incredible hypothetical.

Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  14. DooDooBird

Trusted

Then why would I care anymore if we beat you guys in November? Or if we beat Auburn in the Iron bowl? Everyone's getting in regardless. Hell, let’s lose in October to Tennessee now.

15. CarpetElf

i don't know.
    i really don't know why you care haha

16. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

It’d be like the NBA’s joke system where LeBron gives 50% effort in the regular season only to turn up against some joke opponent in the first round

domotime2, DooDooBird and CarpetElf like this.
  17. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, you still have to qualify for the playoffs lol. Expanding the field doesn’t mean a 6-6 Alabama team just makes it automatically. The fact that people cling so hard to playoffs diluting the importance of regular season games blows my mind. It matters for seeding!

And the comparison to the NBA doesn’t hold water. The nba is, statistically, the easiest sport to predict. The variability within the game of basketball is not there.

Football is in the same camp as hockey as there is a lot of variability (luck) that drives results. Adding more games only makes it more likely to find a true champion, IMO.

plus more college football is always a good thing.

CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

“Oh no thank you I don’t want any delicious, more food would ruin the integrity of the rest of my meal. Thank you though.”

Fucking Dustin, CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  19. T.J.

music and baseball.

Nothing is in the same camp as hockey, and adding more games is different than adding a large single elimination tournament.

If your goal is to crown a true champion, you'd go the MLS route and have a super large regular season with no playoffs. The 9-7 Giants were truly not the best team in the NFL the year they beat the Patriots. They just won a random single elimination tournament that spanned a few games.

bigmike likes this.
  20. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Are you saying that you don’t hit a point on binge eating days like Thanksgiving where eating more is a negative experience? I envy you

domotime2, T.J. and bigmike like this.
  21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

You’re preaching to the choir my dude. Add as many games as possible! Playoffs or regular season, don’t matter to me!
    I have mastered the arts of being simultaneously too full of food and self hatred while having no regrets!

whitenblue88, Joe4th and T.J. like this.
  22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I still don’t get why variability is an argument for a larger playoff. 4 seems like the point where you’re fixing for variability, rather than adding more. Maybe 8, but the politics behind it would probably just give us a stupid entrance system like the BCS instead of the 8 best teams. I looked back a few years and it looks like any given year, there’s 4-6 teams that you could make an argument that they’re truly the best team in the sport if they were to win the playoff.

If all the games were weighed equally, sure more games would fix for variability, but otherwise it’s a 12-13 game season to qualify for a 1-3 game season

domotime2 and bigmike like this.
  23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

More variability = more trials needed to get best team to win the championship. Honestly, it’s not the biggest deal at the college level where the spread in talent is pretty huge.

Four is too exclusionary — especially with the whole Notre Dame nonsense — and I think 8 is a solid middle ground. IMO, the playoff should have a spot for every conference champion, full stop.

stars143 likes this.
  24. PeacefulOrca

Trusted

shea likes this.
  25. T.J.

music and baseball.

Single elimination playoffs don’t add more trials. It’s a string of one trial until only one remains. Which causes variability to affect the outcome more. There’s no argument to be had that a single elimination tournament produces the best champion because of this.

I know it’s not realistic to have multiple game trials amongst two teams, but that’s the best way to weed out random variance.

I would be down for a 12 team playoff with all conference champions, and two at large bids, I think.

bigmike, whitenblue88 and stars143 like this.