Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017 NFL Draft Thread [Archived] Football • Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, that's a good way to describe his defense. He also throws a lot of weird blitzes. I'm not sure how much of a say Rivera has on the defensive scheme and how much credit McD should get tbh.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I mean its basically a version of what Gus Bradley does that actually succeeded and took them to a superbowl haha. I would say you guys use your front 7 very differently than Carroll/Bradley/Quinn though. Its more just the coverage looks you use that are similar, using press on early downs and then backing up into cover 3 on third down while the pressure up front does the work.

McD would keep developing Fowler and Yannick as 4-3 rushers (and would probably use both at the same time more than Bradley did)... he would have perfect roles for Smith and Jack (pretty much, Davis and Shaq is the closest thing another NFL team has to Smith and Jack)... and he would use Ramsey, Amukamara, and Gipson in coverage concepts they are comfortable with and understand very well.

3. What's amazing to me is that one of our obvious needs (perhaps our biggest need) is DE, yet we lead the league in sacks. And that's McD's strongest quality. Getting pressure on the QB. Even when we have shit for DEs.

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Fuck Cooter. He deserves to be named Jim Bob Cooter.

McDermott would be cool but I'm skeptical about hiring a defensive coach.

5. CarpetElf Dec 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2016)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

You're underrating Prince. He hasn't been outplayed by Ramsey all year and even if he has so what? Ramsey was regarded as one of the best DB prospects in years and Prince is on a prove it free agent deal.

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I think Yannick and Fowler can transition. Fowler especially. All I'm saying is we have one truly great player on defense and he was at his best in a 3-4.

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Lot of directions the Lions could go in. Really need a DT or a DE to compliment Ansah. Could go LB given Levy's health this year and not having much depth there. Outside of our 1 and 2, our CB depth is garbage, so we could go there.

Just please don't bomb as hard as you did on someone like Ebron again.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  8. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Or they could go for a full time rb lol

9. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

McD learned from the god, Jim Johnson...Actually so did Rivera.

[​IMG]

RIP Sweet Prince.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  10. Randall Mentzos Dec 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2016)
    Randall Mentzos

Malik is a very solid 3 tech DT as well, its not like he hasnt been disruptive. Statistically this season is gonna be close to on par with his Denver seasons.

And if you ask me Telvin is well on his way to becoming a truly great player and he needs to play in a 4-3. There would be no role for my favorite Jaguar in a 3-4.

Ive been paying attention just like you have. Amukamara is giving up a lot more third downs and certainly a few more 20+ yard passes as well. And against WR2s! Ramsey has been getting the tougher matchups and still consistently playing better.

Amuk's technique is clean, he has great size and athleticism, but ive learned with CBs you have to judge on results and results alone... because having the swagger and laser sharp focus to affect the ball at the catch point, is a totally separate skill than everything else that makes a CB look good. Ive soured on Davon House for the same reason. Great in coverage, but always lets the WR catch balls over him anyway.

Ramsey's the only guy i trust to actually REJECT passes on a regular basis. I aint paying Amukamara a 12 mill per season contract.

11. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

This could be a real good safety class too depending on who stays and goes back.

12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Gimme Adams.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Malick has been very good but not worth that money. I'm not saying we necessarily should but it shouldn't be looked at as if it isn't an option imo.

Yeah, Prince is fine. He's a good CB2. I agree we shouldn't overpay him and he isn't the focus of the secondary. Hell, he could be the weak spot if we draft Adams. I'd feel more comfortable signing Prince to a million or two more and cutting House.

14. Randall Mentzos

I would love to cut House to make room for the rest of the secondary, sure. I like Amuk but im just keeping it in perspective. Chargers over here getting Casey Heyward for $5.1 mill AAV (less than we even paid Davon House) and hes playing better than Amuk, playing like a CB1 when Verrett is hurt... etc. There is a ceiling on what I think he is gonna be worth after this year.

Colvin steps up in games more to make plays, so House is just dead weight to be making 6.5 as a CB4.

15. Wait, Prince is a FA?

16. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Jags 2017 FAs:
    Tyson Alualu, Bryan Walters, Prince Amukamara, Kelvin Beachum, Abry Jones, Patrick Omameh, Luke Joeckel, Jonathan Cyprien, Denard Robinson, Jordan Hill, Josh Wells, Tyler Shatley, Peyton Thompson

17. Fucking Dustin

Oh shit I just realized AJ Bouye is a FA next year, god dammit please pay him

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah, he just signed a one year deal. I hope they re-sign him. Also hope the Jags are the next team to hop on the LSU wagon. Adams/Pocic would be a nice haul if we could trade down. And then Guice next year.

19. Man, I'd love to see Prince and Bradberry as our two CBs next year.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I would re-sign Prince, Walters, and Cyp depending on the contracts. I don't know why but I really like Walters haha.

Beachum isn't really a free agent.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

[​IMG]

or nah

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  22. Fucking Dustin

I was just going off OTC haha

23. Geeeeeez, there are no good free agent tackles and the draft is weak there as well. Bad year to have a lot of money and a high pick for the Panthers.

24. Randall Mentzos

Jags are picking up Beachum's option for the next 4 years. Itd be stupid not to. Hes at least a middle of the pack starting LT (you see the difference this year, even though our awful running game indicates our line as a whole still sucks, our sack numbers are wayy down from leading the league the previous years)... and his option is for 10 mill AAV. Crazy deal for a solid LT considering how rapidly the cap is inflating.

I will be so pissed at Dave Caldwell if he lets Beachum go. Another team will pay him 13 or 14 AAV if we dont exercise that power move built into this contract.

25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah Beachum is staying for sure. I'd say Caldwell would be dumb to let him go, but he's already let Marrone stay so he may just be dumb. Though I guess you can't fire everybody with two games left haha. Unchaperoned football!

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.