Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017 Music Sales Are Up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Peter Kafka, writing for Recode:

Music streaming is big, and getting bigger fast. Digital downloads are falling off a cliff.

Oh, and one more familiar refrain: The music industry loves the money it’s getting from subscription services like Spotify and Apple Music, but it wants YouTube to pay them much more. […]

More than 30 million people are now paying for a subscription streaming service in the U.S., which pushed streaming revenue up 48 percent, to $2.5 billion, in the first half of the year. Streaming now accounts for 62 percent of the U.S. music business.

And that’s pushing the overall music business back up again, after a fall that started in 1999, with the ascent of Napster, and didn’t stop until a couple years ago. Retail sales were up 17 percent, to $4 billion, and wholesale shipments were up 14.6 percent, to $2.7 billion.

2. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

We did it gang! Is Spotify still ripping off their artists and paying them micro-pennies per pay? I've heard terrible things about that...

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I love Spotify but the royalty checks are pretty insane. I think i get like $.001 for every play or something ridiculously low like that.

4. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I'm still gonna buy physical CDs until they don't let me anymore.

Raku and carlosonthedrums like this.
  5. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Gross! Much prefer the UI, suggestions, intuitiveness of it WAY WAY WAY over Apple Music! Jason touched on all the problems about Apple Music on the last podcast.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  6. Mr_Hox

Just had my wife pick up two CDs for me in England, even though I’ve had them digitally for a while.

Yellowcard2006 and Raku like this.