Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017 EOTY Entertainment Lists • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Dec 1, 2017.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Nathan For You VASTLY overlooked once again.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'm gonna say something real controversial: Finding Frances was leagues above all of the other episodes of the season, which was a bit forgettable compared to the rest

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Cahiers du Cinema best of 2017. Always the most interesting for me, alongside Cinema Scope and Reverse Shot. Major shout out for including my top two (Jeannette and The Day After).

[​IMG]

5. Morrissey

Trusted

I am going to seek out everything on the Cahiers list that I haven't seen yet but I am not going to sit through the Ang Lee movie.

Twin Peaks is probably going to be on my film list.

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Twin Peaks is a movie?

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Finding Frances alone deserves to be at the top of every list. Even without that episode though, I feel like this was the strongest season of NFY and was at least as good or better than 50% of the shows on these lists.

Joel likes this.
  8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I wish my french was better because I would love to read what they've written on Jackie and Billy Lynn (the only two I've seen but didn't love). I still need to watch Twin Peaks and the Garrel film.

9. No haha, but people love it so much they'll put it on their film lists. For a lot of people, it was better than most movies that came out this year. There's a cinematic quality to it, and it seems transcend the medium in some ways, but it's still a TV series.

CarpetElf likes this.
  10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Berlin Alexanderplatz and Fanny and Alexander were aired as TV series in the 80s but are widely regarded as films now. I'm sure a similar thing will happen with this season of Twin Peaks.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

But like, it aired as episodic television haha.

Fanny & Alexander was a film that was cut to be a series, no?

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Conceived as a TV mini series, cut down to 188 minutes for theatrical, which then got released before the series did.

13. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

But I also think that differentiating is kinda pointless. I haven't seen the Peaks series yet, but from what I understand it kind of operates as a stand alone event while also being tied to the original series? I get it, I guess. Also Lynch's obvious association with cinema rather than TV. Policing lists is lame (not that anyone here is doing so).

Joe likes this.
  14. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Policing lists is lame but so is just putting random things on lists. Why even make a list then? Like Rolling Stone putting a stand up special on their TV list.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

I can put Twin Peaks as a movie because it is a one-off thing, like a movie. I had Top of the Lake on my 2013 list, as it was defined as a miniseries back then. I would not put something like the latest season of BoJack Horseman on my list because it is part of a serialized narrative. Even though Twin Peaks is technically the third season, it has less to do with the original show than some movie sequels do. It also has that "cinematic" quality, which is becoming more common in television but Twin Peaks is especially so.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

I have enjoyed every Garrel movie, but I have a hard time differentiating them in my head.

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I find his pre-2000s stuff more distinguishable from one another, but with his recent works he seems to be getting at something similar to Hong Sang-soo. Finding various ways to explore the same ideas ultimately creating a body of work that plays off itself more than most directors.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

19. Morrissey

Trusted

The Lost City of Z has been so underrated. Good on them for putting it so high.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Getting that one today. Good to hear it's good.

21. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Some great under the radar picks on the Slant list. I especially love The Ornithologist and Nocturama.

CarpetElf likes this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

Nocturama is out there so I will watch it this weekend. I have to finish Dunkirk and will try to make it through mother! as well.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.