Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NHL Season Thread Hockey • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Fleury waved his no movement back in February. What a guy. I'm gonna miss him.

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

A lot of history there, however probably the best move for franchise and himself.

3. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Tim Thomas ruined Bruins fans' expectations.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  5. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

That's such an odd situation, if I was yandle I would want to be moved

6. CobraKidJon

I mean this year he was sub .910% so that worries me. I'm just thinking more at the potential of young goaltending talent that could be available.

I'd rather start with a young goaltender and a backup veteran tbh.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean they could still very well end up with, say, him, Raanta, and one of Columbus' young backups. Not like they'll be stuck with them for a long time

8. CobraKidJon

I'm going to miss him. He really did a good job on the defensive side. The Sharks real problem was Spott and his terrible PP.

9. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Go Ducks

Now let's move Vatanen for a good/young/offensive forward

10. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone giving up a good young offensive forward for Vatanen hasn't looked at Vatanen's numbers

11. johnnyferris

He had a down year last season, but he has the potential.

12. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

I like Vatanen but he had a really down year offensively for a "puck moving DMan"

I wonder how much of that was due to the shoulder injury

13. CobraKidJon

I'm just spitballing but maybe the Carlyle effect took a role in his eh season last year?

I swear last year a lot of analytics people were talking highly of him.

14. johnnyferris

Boudreau's final year was probably Vatanen's best. This year he played without his longtime partner Stoner for 80-90% of the season, a shoulder problem that lingered for many months, and no motivation in playing for a contract (like he had last year)

15. CobraKidJon

16. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wish the Jets would get new jerseys this year. They have by far the worst jerseys in the league. just hideous.

17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Avs primary jersey is definitely the worst jersey in the NHL.

Joe4th likes this.
  18. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

I guess you have to have a shitty one to have some of the best ones in history so it balances out lol

I'd also like to see a jets alternate jersey that's more of that blueish teal color but the reimagined old jerseys were awesome too, bring those back more

19. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

I just want the Flyers to bring back the black jerseys.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  20. flask

Trusted Supporter

Ducks are going orange full time not this coming season but in 18-19. Old school logo definitely moves the most merch at the team store.

21. CobraKidJon

22. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

His numbers have been trending downward/stagnant since he entered the league three (?) years ago. He hasn't really shown much progress at all...

I'm not going to post the entire article in here but this is from The Athletic's Tyler Dellow:

"What’s happened here is that Vatanen’s performance relative to his team has fallen off over the course of his career. He bottomed out last year from a relative possession perspective, before bouncing back this year. His raw numbers have been declining year-over-year as well.

There are a couple of things going on here. First, Vatanen’s role within the team has kind of evolved over the years and you can see this if you look at his partners in each season. In 2013-14, he spent nearly 80 per cent of his 5-on-5 time with either Mark Fistric or Bryan Allen. That’s a third pairing.

In 2014-15, he spent nearly 75 per cent of his time with Clayton Stoner, Bryan Allen, Eric Brewer, Mark Fistric and Colby Robak. Again, this looks like a third pairing defenceman, although he did see his time with Cam Fowler —a top four defenceman — nudge up to 14 per cent.

In 2015-16, he was again around 75 per cent of his time with players who one would think are third pairing defencemen: Clayton Stoner, Simon Despres and Kevin Bieksa. It’s only in this most recent season in which he’s clearly been played with a top four partner, with just over 60 per cent of his time with Cam Fowler, Josh Manson or Hampus Lindholm. Unfortunately, as noted above, his results have been trending downwards as the Ducks have pushed him beyond a third pairing role.

If you look at the last two seasons, you see that Vatanen had terrible possession numbers relative to the team in 2015-16 and that this year, those numbers improved relative to the team. Despite this, his raw possession numbers fell."

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

but they always lost in them. lol

24. Shame the Canes are losing the black jerseys.

25. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

They aren't exactly lighting up the world in what they are in now.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.