Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 67

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. T.J.

music and baseball.

Yea, I am 30. I remember the 94-97 season vaguely. The 2000 season really well. I remember the 90s as best as a kid born in 88 can.

But I hope no one is asking these kids to remember that. There are teams now that are competing without the huge storied histories. I don't think that's important anymore. Getting a coach is key. A good coach/recruiter can get kids to come anywhere. So I am not really trying to sell 90s Nebraska football.

bigmike likes this.
  2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

except Franklin didn't say any of that. His reasoning was that his players weren't lined up properly. He wasn't trying to test their mental capacity to handle a icing the kicker situation lol

A shut out has no actual baring on anything though. It's just an ego thing. I think it's a classless move. It's unsportsmanlike.

It comes down to whether or not you believe him when he says he did it because his players weren't ready for it... and like Francesca, I dont.

bigmike likes this.
  3. T.J.

music and baseball.

Practicing for when you ice an opposing kicker seems comical to me, too. I can't imagine coaches practicing calling a timeout before a snap, but I could be wrong.

4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Wait. So he said his reasoning was because his players weren't lined up properly? And you don't understand why he called the timeout? He answered that - because they weren't lined up properly and wanted to fix that. It's a teachable moment. And especially for players who likely don't get much playing time in games you don't want them doing something wrong the limited time they are out there.

I'll never forget all the clips of Saban (and I'm sure others) just throwing a shit fit about something going wrong (penalty, formation, substitution) when up like 56-10 with 2 minutes to go. Coaches are perfectionists. No matter the score.

Didn't have an issue with him calling the timeout before. Really, really don't now.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. marsupial jones

Also, most kids playing for Nebraska these days probably don't even remember that they used to be in the Big 12 less than a decade ago let alone titles from 2+ decades ago.

6. Night Channels

Trusted

Eric Crouch is still the GOAT to me but I'm biased towards option football.

bigmike, T.J. and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  7. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I was gonna say Go Dawgs but I don't know if Miss St uses that too (it weirds me out when I see that used for UW on here), so go UGA!

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Accepting reality isn't failure. The goal is the same, the reality is different.

Also, he allowed 42 points in the first half against Oregon and zero is the second and came within one "Tanner Lee being the worst" away from winning. He held NIU to one offensive score and came within one "Tanner Lee being the worst" away from winning. In his first season, he led multiple comebacks and only lost on final second plays, save for two games. He's competed with Wisconsin. Talk about 30 and 40 point losses under Pelini and coming down to the wire under Riley.

9. marsupial jones

Genuinely asking: What happened last year after the 7-0 start? Injuries? I remember the QB (name escaping me) being knocked out early in the Ohio State game but not sure if that's when the losing streak started or not.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Iowa was the only one that was really bad. Without anything resembling an offense, they stood no chance against Ohio State and Tennessee. Wisconsin was very close as well.

11. T.J.

music and baseball.

So, are we counting his two first years with Pelini's players or not? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

After going 7-0, we started playing good teams and lost. Wisconsin was close, but OSU, Iowa, and Tennessee wasn't.

12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

13. T.J.

music and baseball.

Tommy played all of Wisconsin, half of OSU, and all of Iowa except garbage time. He didn't play vs Tennessee. Ryker only started vs Maryland and Tennessee, I believe.

14. CarpetElf Sep 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2017)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yes, he played all of Wisconsin. A game we lost in overtime on the road to the #11 team two years after losing by 30 in the same situation with Pelini.

I thought Tommy was completely out after OSU? Regardless, Iowa was bad. OSU was understandable, as was Tennessee. Wisconsin was an improvement over Pelini though.

15. T.J.

music and baseball.

Where did I complain about specific games? I said it was close.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Fixed, sorry hahah

17. Why does Duke-UNC have to be on at the same time as Ok St and TCU....

18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yoooo I was reminded of Pat White at West Virginia and those were probably the most fun teams to watch outside of, like, Oregon or Reggie Bush-era USC. Man, I loved the White/Slaton era at WVU.

whitenblue88 and CarpetElf like this.
  19. timcsheehan

Regular

To hell with the rest of em! Go Dawgs.

I think Dawgs On Top is also appropriate because I don't think any of the other bulldog teams use that ha.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  20. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

You and me both. And then when they added Noel Devine they had a game against Maryland that was insane 5 rushes for 136 yards. That 2007 team should've played in the National Championship game. That backyard brawl still hurts. They did blow out OU in the fiesta bowl though.

bigmike likes this.
  21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck, I forgot about Noel Devine. Wasn't he going to go to Florida State or something and ended up at WVU? I agree, though, I would've loved to see what would've happened had they handled their business in the backyard brawl. Also, if they get to the title game (or win it), it opens a ton of questions: Does Rich Rod leave? If so, does he get a longer leash at Michigan/do Michigan boosters not start shitting on him from the moment he was hired? Who knows. I still love Rich Rod, think he's one of the best offensive minds out there and I think his ability to adapt offensively is wonderful. People forget he was the OC behind some of the great passing offenses in football at Tulane.

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Dormady is so terrible.

Swoos likes this.
  23. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

^ scheduled post

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

We could end the day with Baylor and Florida State being two of at most eight teams without a win.

[​IMG]

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Sumlin firing watch... again

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.