Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 66

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I mean, being spoiled and whining while ignoring the context of the game and the league doesn't exactly inspire sympathy in me haha. That's just people being wrong and refusing to adjust. Bo Pelini had success now tell me how that worked out? Saban is the greatest college coach ever and Jimbo is one of the best offensive minds and recruiters in the country. Pelini was the third guy so really, we made a bad call because of our thirst for returning to glory as quickly as possible. I understand the point. The issue is the point is bullshit haha.

bigmike likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Also, I'm gonna throat punch the school president if he steals Scott Frost from me.

Or if he fires Riley to hire Stoops.

3. T.J.

music and baseball.

Bounds says NU will hire a search firm and consulting group.

4. T.J.

music and baseball.

I would love to get Scott Frost.

5. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Stoops is not coming back

6. Whatjuliansaid

Scott frost would get owned by harbaugh and Meyer and a lot of big ten teams, probably msu too. He should go to the ACC or back to the PAC 12 if he leaves

7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

He should go nowhere and you all should eat sand while I laugh at you hating Riley for not being successful and then wanting Scott fucking Frost.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  8. T.J.

music and baseball.

I mean, maybe? You could say that about any hire. Its all risk.

9. Whatjuliansaid

Scott frost is an alum, he'll probably get hired then

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

They'll hire Brian Kelly when Notre Dame fires him.

11. Whatjuliansaid

I think they'd probably hire schiano in a complete 180

12. T.J.

music and baseball.

Shit. Give me any name that you can link to recent successful teams and gamble on.

13. CarpetElf Sep 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2017)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Ok lol

I don't want to be a Top 5 recruiting school unable to compete in a terrible division haha

14. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Nebraska is gonna go with a shocking hire and come get Jonathan Smith from UW (please).

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Different mentalities during a game and practice.

16. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Who compete's with the Meyer's of the world? No one. It's Nick Saban's college football universe and Urban Meyer is like the deputy mayor of that universe and then everyone else is looking up at them.

And Nebraska's recruiting ranks in the big ten:

2017: 5th
    2016: 5th
    2015: 4th
    2014: 6th
    2013: 3rd
    2012: 4th
    2011: 2nd

They finished behind Michigan State in 2014, 2015, and 2016, which I point out because the reputation that gets thrown on Michigan State is that they have succeeded with 'sub par' and 'no elite recruiting classes.' So if Nebraska is going to compete with the Urban Meyer's of the world -- which they aren't, they should be focused on competing with the Wisconsin's of the world since kids that Nebraska will be recruiting don't know Nebraska as an elite school -- their recruiting is simply not good enough. You can tout money and facilities all you want, but at the end of the day, it's a tough sell to get kids to Nebraska over a place like Columbus.

Michael Schmidt, Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  17. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

BTW, Riley got to Oregon State in 1997. From 1990-1996 Oregon State was 14-62 (0.184 winning percentage) and he won eight games in two years and the squad he built went on to be 11-1 in 2000 after he bolted for NFL money. I think to say he's not a successful coach is a bit disingenuous. He's not the greatest but let's not make it out like he was atrocious at one of the toughest jobs in the country.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

He also is one of, if not the only coach out there, who can say he defeated a top two team three years in a row.

Once he had his guys, he knew how to beat his rivals. He is just starting to get his guys. Tanner Lee is a stopgap O'Brien is being groomed.

And worth noting that 5th in this Big Ten is better than 2nd in 2011.

19. T.J.

music and baseball.

That's not my point. NU might not be able to compete with the top programs anymore, which I think is probably true, but to accept that is failure. You have to try. Hiring a Mike Riley is accepting that. You can say he found success, sure, but as his sample size grew, he looks more like an good/average coach.

20. T.J.

music and baseball.

Maybe Mike Riley types are now the best we can do, but I don't think we are far enough removed to determine that. Time will tell.

21. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i didnt know there was a mentality to the defense for icing a kicker. What's the mentality? "Oh man what happens if coach ice's the kicker..what do we? should we run around in circles?"

22. Garrett

More about maintaining the focus on the field no matter any other circumstances. Need to be ready to go either way. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

marsupial jones likes this.
  23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

It's hard to grasp because it's a stretch. Practicing maintaining focus in case coach ice's the kicker? that doesnt make any sense to me

lets be real, he did it because he wanted a shut out...that's all it was.

24. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, the Tommy Frazier-led Cornhuskers were slightly before my time and I'm 31 years old. Nebraska is very far removed from being a perennial powerhouse for current 18 year olds who were born when those Butch Davis Miami teams were dominating college football.

Michael Schmidt and CarpetElf like this.
  25. Garrett

If he had a bunch of third and fourth string players in as one would assume that late in a blow out, its a very coachable moment to give them the mentality of what it’s like to line up. Still have to be ready just in case the kicker gets it off before an ice time out is called. Far more valuable of an experience than practicing that outside of a game.

And so what if he wanted a shut out. That’s sports.

marsupial jones likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.