Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 65

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I was hoping this would be Georgia's year but I need Mississippi State to dominate now so sorry, go Fitz.

2. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

3. Whatjuliansaid

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I saw. I dig it.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  5. Whatjuliansaid

Unless Riley gets fired

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

No way they are that stupid.

7. T.J.

music and baseball.

Bye, bye Eichorst. You know Riley is next.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  8. T.J.

music and baseball.

The next AD is going to want his own guy, you'd think

9. Whatjuliansaid

Yea, unless Riley finishes out the season ridiculously well. He'll be on the hot seat going into next year. It also depends who else they think they could get though.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I would hope they would actually understand football lol

11. T.J.

music and baseball.

I don't understand why you're so high on Riley. Indifferent is as high as I can go on him. He's capable of being good with NU's resources, sure. Just don't seeing him competing with the Meyers of the world consistently.

12. Whatjuliansaid

Except the huskers never will compete with the Meyers of the world anyway, it's not a very achievable goal

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Riley is gone after this year, at the latest, IMO.

T.J. likes this.
  14. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

lol

15. T.J.

music and baseball.

You might not achieve that goal, but you have to try. You definitely won't if you accept it and give up. NU has the money and facilities to give a hell of a shot.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

So back to what I said about understanding football lol. Nebraska is not competing with Meyer haha. Certainly not when you fire every coach that doesn't instantly take a horrible roster adjusting to a new system and pull out 10 wins. These expectations are absurd and are ignoring the context of the games as well as recruiting. Riley started when Pelini's guys were sophomores. This is basically his first season. I'm not high on him. I think he's good for the team and we haven't even seen "Mike Riley" yet. He lost the Northern Illinois game because of one player. What should he have done instead? Throw in an 18 year old with the expectations of "if you fail you destroy this team?" GREAT idea lol. That's how you develop a young QB, right?

Joe4th and bigmike like this.
  17. T.J.

music and baseball.

We've had 4 coaches in 20 years. The high turnover narrative is bullshit.

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

If we fire Riley that's three in five.

19. T.J.

music and baseball.

I am not basing my opinion on Riley solely on these two losses. Sure, we might have won NIU if not for those picks, but that was good coaching on NIU's part. That first pick 6 was just great film study. But that's not it. Riley's never been successful anywhere. And I just think settling for him is selling NU short.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I am dumbstruck by that logic. Aside from the fact that he was in recruiting hell and managed to compete, how many coaches are going to downgrade like this? Saban ain't leaving lol. Who do you actually think is going to look at this school and think "decimated roster with no identity and an administration with unrealistic expectations who will bend to the will of their fans? Sign me up!"

21. Whatjuliansaid

That's exactly why the AD was fired lol they had a relatively decent built roster and were like eh mike Riley should be fine

22. T.J.

music and baseball.

Hiring logic.
    Frank Solich: A part of Tom Osborne's staff. Groomed by TO. Won championships.
    Callahan: Won a Super Bowl
    Bo Pelini: Coached great defenses for OU, LSU, and NU. Came off an LSU championship team.
    Mike Riley: Had a few successful seasons. A nice guy. Not a hot head like Pelini.

We recruit perfectly fine. The hiring decision making criteria changed under Eichorst. This hire doesn't seem to be based around trying their best to win. It was getting away from the negative publicity of Pelini. A rushed decision. You may disagree, fine, but I don't understand how you can say that's an unfounded opinion.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I mean, you had excessive turnover this season coupled with the fact that their schemes were drastically changing. If they cannot understand why a team may struggle under that situation then they have no business pretending like they know anything about football.

Pelini was part of a staff run by Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher.

Recruiting classes are also looking better overall under Riley. We're in the high-20s instead of the high-30s.

24. Whatjuliansaid

Reminder, Oregon state had good recruiting classes under Riley too and still were unsuccessful a bunch. Not elite or anything but great for where he was coaching. He makes Andersen look extremely minuscule. It's kind of interesting, they could both be fired now

25. T.J.

music and baseball.

You're missing the point. NU missed on Callahan and Pelini, but they had consistent backgrounds of success. That's just not the case with Riley. That's why people are upset. I am all for giving him a chance now, but that hire wasn't what NU is accustomed to. That's why Eichorst is gone.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.