Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

No, you didn't...it's cool haha. What you said is spot on....they'll likely never out recruit those LA schools or Stanford just because of their prime location and historical pedigree although I will say the 2nd tier kids thing isn't entirely accurate in the case of UW and I think that is just a testament to them being on their way back.

Some of UW's recruits shunned those marquee schools as late as last night. The #1 CB out of the Oregon committed to UW a while back and apparently USC was blowing up his phone last night about a flip. Another LB we got, Ariel Ngata apparently had been getting some late interest from Bama and he told them no.

So I get what you are saying and find some accuracy there but would say there are some exceptions. Washington's program has been average to straight up dog shit for much of the past 10 years or so, so I do think that if they continue to sustain success, it'll only continue to get better in the recruiting game.

bigmike likes this.
  2. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Also, this kid wasn't the best recruit that UW nabbed today but he might be one of my favorites. Kid has his dad die a month ago completely out of nowhere. Came up for an OV to UW 2-3 weeks ago by himself since his Mom wasn't ready to leave Utah and after getting some time with Coach Pete, decided he'd be best up here after his two year LDS mission.

Not sure I would have been able to handle everything this kid did on his plate at 17. In fact, I know I wouldn't have.

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Les Miles's son is going to Nebraska.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

chryst said we are hiring our DC this week - i'm guessing it's a tibesar promotion

5. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

ugh it's Leonhard. Not stoked

6. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

LSU fired Craig and now he's probably going to Bama lol cause they don't recruit well enough already, friggin Saban

7. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Oh dear god lol

Instead, after “four straight weeks on CBS, back-to-back 9 win seasons and three bowl championships,” Jones declared that Tennessee was “back.”

Whatjuliansaid and Garrett L. like this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

He's the wooooooorst #championsoflife

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

EngineDown and Michael Schmidt like this.
  10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah but Craig couldn't do much with those recruits.

11. Whatjuliansaid

I've heard some bad stuff about him coaching wise so yea but still, they just get names and make them useful like it's unfair haha

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah, life isn't fair. But good news! We'll probably outlive Saban!

13. Whatjuliansaid

Idk if I agree... let me know what aboriginal tribe you get relocated to in the end of days and we'll meet up to talk about it lol haha Saban

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Bama also hired someone out from Tennessee today. I think he was in their graphics department, though. He did some great work, if that's the case.

15. DooDooBird

Trusted

Love all the college football news as of late. The Kiffin "hype" video and then him trying to convince people he made it terrible on purpose. Butch Jones being Butch Jones by saying terrible shit. Good stuff.

16. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

18. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yeah, if you have some free time, there is some good stuff in that thread. Like, I think there is a link to the Saban-owned dealerships. There are lot of whatever posts as well lol.

20. DooDooBird

Trusted

Eddie Jackson was a 3 star recruit. No way they give 3 star guys cars.

21. Whatjuliansaid

Sometimes it's about the value and the scouting over pure stars, I get what you mean though. There's a reason lots of gems have been lower rated guys that make it up.

22. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

I brought this story up a few days ago but some of the details are leaking and recruiting is such a slimy ass game....

Marlon Tuipulotu (5* DT from Oregon, Marlon Tuipulotu, USC, Defensive Tackle) had been committed to Washington since April 2016 de-committed a week before signing day and then immediately committed to USC.

Apparently Marlon and his family are New Zealand citizens and don't even hold LPR status in the U.S. so it sounds like they're here undocumented on likely expired visas. Well apparently UW had been working the process to get him a student visa so that he could go to school and play football at UW.

Well Johnny Nansen (USC LB coach/Best Recruiter) got into his (and his families ear) and told them they would be able to get him Canadian citizenship which in turn would make it much easier for him to get his student visa and later green card or if that wouldn't work they'd be able to get him immediate U.S. Citizenship.

As a formal immigration officer, I can tell you right now that he isn't getting either of those if his status is as widely reported. So USC basically got this kid to flip because he was promised citizenship for not only him but also his family which is something USC simply won't be able to deliver.

Scum stuff.

23. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

What do you think they gave Jarez Parks? Something feels strange about a borderline 5* recruit going to Paris and filming a commitment video and then finding out they have no room for him so he ends up signing on the dotted line to grey shirt despite having 30+ offers elsewhere?

Strange.

24. DooDooBird

Trusted

You have to understand that Saban and his staff are very much politicians when it comes to recruiting. And very good ones. Not sure if they gave him any material type gifts, but they probably presented a plan for him that was convincing enough to keep him coming to Alabama despite it being on a gray shirt status. They hit all the right buttons in convincing him. "Hey, look. We're gonna have some guys transfer between now and the fall... that will open up a spot on the roster for you. You probably would have red-shirted anyways." Obviously, they had a way of selling it to him better than that... but I would think that's the gist of it.

25. Whatjuliansaid

Pretty sure every college coach is like that they just don't carry the immense status Saban has, gonna be weird when he's gone and they might be irrelevant for a little bit

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.