Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 8

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

death penalty. please.

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Fuck Baylor, holy shit

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Baylor is such a joke. Doing shitty things under the guise of a religious institution. I'm thinking we need to shut their athletic department down after all of these massive stories.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Jesus fucking shit

5. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Fuck Baylor

6. Michael Schmidt

7. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

the deep south, ya'll.

8. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

God dammit what's that. Gotta go to work. Someone remind me in five hours

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Mike the Tiger isn't cool. But I don't see why you'd hate the team cause of the name Tiger and it's origins.

11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I'm probably a massive oddball but I don't understand hatred of teams in sports at all. I'm an MSU fan and Michigan's success or lack of success in sports does not impact me in the least. I get no enjoyment out of them losing to a team that isn't Michigan State (save for a scenario in which a loss helps MSU's chances at a title or something).

12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

13. Joe4th

Get them out of here. Honestly, clean house of the program. I'm disgusted by it.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, been kind of hush-hush around here that Corley was apart of it. Which, of course, just leads to people lamenting how it'll hurt them on the football field. I hate sports culture. Get these goons out of school and between this and the gymnastics cover up, the athletic department needs an entire clean up. If that means Dantonio is apart of that, so be it.

Joe4th likes this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

Weren't King, Corley, and Vance kicked out in February, or was that just removed from student housing but still enrolled? I know they had the immediate suspension on the football side. That piece from the prosecutor was interesting about there being a bigger problem with the football program. I'm sure some of it was posturing, but still makes you wonder. That '16 class is really sticking out right now in a negative way.

16. f00te

tell it like a comeback story Prestigious

yup 4 players were suspended from all football activities in February but no one names were given.

17. Joe4th

Bob Stoops is retiring

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Whoa

19. Michael Schmidt

He's earned the right to go out on his terms, but I'm sure Oklahoma would have preferred better timing. Gotta believe they will promote within to keep things consistent.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Lincoln Reily has already been named head coach. He's very good so that's good for the program. Few programs in the country seem to hate women more than Oklahoma though so I'm sure consistency was what they needed.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  21. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Yea, Lincoln riley was right not to leave. Maybe he had a feeling this would happen or something. I have a hunch that stoops knew NCAA was on to him about something and recruiting so many POS, there has to be a trail. Lincolns pretty young, I imagine it's gonna take time but unless something was going to attach itself on him... he makes sense. He's only been there maybe 2 years? Gonna be weird that stoops is gonna be unemployed this season.

22. Michael Schmidt

As a ND fan, I like the MSU rivalry and liked seeing them climb the ladder so to speak. I was wondering how the new mix of recruits would fit with under-recruited work hard kids, but I never suspected potential widespread sexual assault. Their fans deserve better. This article is interesting. I did not realize Robertson was the whistleblower.
    Auston Robertson reported claims against three MSU players, trustee says

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, what's happening at MSU is disgusting. I will say, however, that it is not something limited to only MSU. This stuff happens at dozens and dozens of college campuses nationwide. It's a sad epidemic that's just been perpetuated by fans' insatiable appetites for victories on the athletic field. The amount of money football (and basketball to a lesser extent) makes for big schools gives a lot of incentive for not just coaches, but faculty, alumni, boosters, etc to look the other way when there are rumors and murmurs about players/coaches. It's sad.

Michael Schmidt and Joe4th like this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Those are very good points, Mike and I completely agree. I'm just disappointed Dantonio hasn't been a little swifter in removing these players once it became apparent that bad (not necessarily illegal) decisions were made. I like the schools that are out in front on this stuff doing their own investigation and aren't simply waiting for legal proceedings and judgments. I know Dantonio is not a presser kind of coach and doesn't want all of the attention, but when your program is trying to make jumps to the next stage, you don't get to fall back. The coach is the face of the program whether they like it or not. And that's not taking away from any of his accomplishments at the school. I think with all of the football and gymnastics stuff, the athletic department is swimming a bit. A strong coach for the football program that shows he is driving his ship would be nice. I can't help but think if this was playing out at OSU or insert another power school and the coach sitting back what the reaction would be. I don't think they would get the same benefit that Mark is right now.

bigmike likes this.
  25. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

100% agree. I'm not surprised that Dantonio isn't out in front of it; most coaches are more likely to sweep stuff under the rug than be out in front of it. I liked what PJ Fleck did at WMU last fall when two incoming freshmen robbed a student on their first day on campus and he was basically like "hey, I fucked up bringing these kids in, that's on me. 100%. I won't let it happen again."

I will say Dantonio seemed more ... genuine in his presser from what a bunch of the local media said. However, seeing things that are posted by MSU fans like "I feel bad for both parties involved" and whatnot is so disheartening.

But, yeah, I 100% agree. This is also why I couldn't be an Athletic Director in this climate of sports; Dantonio would be looking for a new job. The gymnastics stuff, four kids in the freshman class allegedly sexually assaulting women in two separate cases; Draymond Green smacked the shit out of a cornerback at a local dive bar last year and the student body made it impossible for him to finish at MSU so he transferred (he was looking to move on as he wasn't going to play that year anyway, but still). There's just a lot grimey shit that happens at a school that prides itself on not being one of the 'corrupt' ones.

CarpetElf, Michael Schmidt and Joe4th like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.