Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NCAA Football Season Thread [Archived] Football • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Baylor should be wiped off of the earth

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. MyBestFiend

go birds Supporter

Don't know whether or not to say "poor Matt Rhule" or "Matt Rhule is a moron for taking that job"

3. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

I mean, he asked for the job so... kinda on his shoulders to change the entire perception of this scummt program.

4. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

So sad about this Baylor program in terms of all the victims. This program is placing itself right there with where Penn St was for so long. For the victim's sake I hope something is done. I feel like since Penn St avoided the death penalty, that we won't be seeing it used any time soon, if again.

6. Whatjuliansaid

It's worse than 52 if you think about it, probably much worse. Just awful

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

The thing that is different is that they were already hit hard, and now more stuff is coming out. At some point the NCAA needs to make a statement of some university. They've let Penn St, USC, Louisville, UNC, and Baylor (initially) slide in terms of the death penalty. At some point they are going to have to take a stand and hit someone the way they did SMU.

8. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Oh my god lol

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Spoken like a true person who had never been to Boca but still agreed to live there.

10. Whatjuliansaid

They have a Boston market

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

All the more reason to never go there ever

12. relientcasey

Regular

How's everyone feeling about NSD?

13. Michael Schmidt

I am not expecting much, but hoping for the best in regards to ND. Oliver Martin getting poached by UM was a kick in the shorts, but that program is rolling right now.

14. Whatjuliansaid

Eh, depends. Not all schools get big 5* gets. I tune in every so often and maybe someone I pay attention to chooses a school, I always root for the lesser power to get chosen.

15. Whatjuliansaid

It's kind of fun watching them try to fight with the bamas over recruits

16. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, UM is putting their money where their mouth is for sure with those assistant pay bumps. Them battling OSU, Bama, and Clemson is interesting. Meanwhile, USC just rakes California haha with no real threat beyond maybe Washington. Even Washington is doing more bargain shopping.

In terms of Oliver Martin, he always wanted UM, but they stopped recruiting for a month or so and allowed ND to make a move. His family wanted ND per most analysts. However, the ND coaches recruiting him left and by the time the new coaches got back to him, UM got back in the picture. Really weird recruitment because no one really knew his potential until he went to the Chicago camp last summer and exposed himself to the circuit. The kid comes off as someone who doesn't care about the spotlight and the attention. So it's kind of weird to see him jumping in pools with Harbaugh for his commitment lol. I think his sister might be going to swim at UM, so I think that's the tie.

17. Whatjuliansaid

a 3* recruit chose Baylor over Oregon again lol never ends

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Lowell Narcisse and Myles Brennan both signed. So like what, did Les Miles just literally not recruit quarterbacks? Two top ten QBs in the first half a year of Orgeron's regime? I'll take that. Narcisse is going to be fun as hell. They've got Tyler Shelvin and they're one of the two finalists for Marvin Wilson and K'Lavon Chaisson. Grant Delpit and Kary Vincent got me excited for the secondary but hot damn Shelvin, Wilson, and Chaisson coached by Orgeron and Aranda...

And if I understand things correctly, Nebraska has the lead on Joseph Lewis. Don't know who the fuck is gonna be under center but this wide receiver class for them is fire. Lewis would be the fourth four star recruit for them.

19. Whatjuliansaid

I feel like signing day for schools like that is pretty whatevs, I had an ex who was an fsu fan and she wouldn't give a damn because she knew they'd always get loaded classes.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Lewis is one of three Californian players currently choosing between USC and Nebraska. He'd be the second to choose Nebraska over USC so far this year too. That's huge.

LSU always has a top-tier class, I agree. But to see them get two good QB prospects and potentially the best defensive line class is great. I also am aware of a lot of these players and like them a lot.

21. Whatjuliansaid

Well yea, you're pretty much expressing what I mean. Nebraska is always hoping to get High ranked guys while LSU constantly nails many.

Also again, fuck Baylor

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Fuck Baylor.

And kind of. Nebraska hasn't been nearly this competitive in the last few years. Certainly not out of USC's backyard.

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I covered Western Michigan University recruiting on Rivals.com for a couple of years and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that basically no high school kid knows where they're going before they send in their faxes. I talked to so many on and off the record that would be wishy-washy. They're just like the fans in that regard: fans are always anxious for the next big recruit and the recruits are always anxious for the next big school to offer them instead. Recruiting is a shady, misguided business.

Edit: and trying to cover it sucks. Don't know how these guys do it for a living. The amount of times I set up interviews with kids with explicit "I'm going to call you at ___ time" and then I call them and they throw it straight to voicemail then text me back immediately with "who's this?" are too many to count. Props to those dudes, but it's a tough business making your money on rumor mongering.

24. Whatjuliansaid

I've heard a lot about that, respect that you tried it out though. I can imagine that there were some cases where you thought there was a good chance the kid was committing so you wrote an article for it and then they chose a different school? That probably sucks.

25. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Washington had the #1 247 composite ranked DT committed since March but he de-committed a week and a half ago and almost immediately committed to USC despite having that offer for over a year. There has been some rumors that they promised him some sort of help with his brothers immigration status (who surprisingly enough lives in LA) or something strange under the table to get him to flip.

Recruiting is a dirty game.....I love Chris Petersen but I'm not sure he knows how to play this game with the big boys. They still have a real good class but man.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.