Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2022-2023 NCAA Basketball Thread Basketball • Page 114

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Also the state of North Carolina is pretty garbage right now and don't deserve good things to happen to them.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

You all have a good night. I'm going to enjoy this win and the night. National Champs!! North Carolina is a great state.

3. Your argument of "well look at other bad things" isn't an argument that teams should be able to cheat to win. I agree with you the NCAA is awful. That doesn't mean "hey we should be able to abide by no rules and cheat with no repercussions."

4. But you'd be ok with Duke winning right?

oakhurst likes this.
  5. I, like I said all year about NC teams and programs and sports, would still say the state is garbage right now even if they won. And I said it all the time this year. And criticized the team and coach for not speaking out about the shitty stuff for 18 months. They didn't deserve good things to happen to them either.

I did enjoy them beating UNC twice though. Even if that state can go fuck itself until they stop being horrible.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I'd be ok with major college sports splitting into two main groups. Schools that want to pay athletes and what comes with it, and then another group that want to stick with the student athlete model. Schools on either side could still schedule out of conference. You would at least know the stakes at hand.

7. T.J.

music and baseball.

Sound argument? Definitely not, but I still find it something hard getting upset over when there's a larger, civil injustice walking around.

8. Nah, I get upset when cops unjustly arrest someone even though the systematic issues are a larger problem too. Both can be bad simultaneously. A larger problem doesn't negate the smaller one or make it ok.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Regarding the scholarships and injuries, a lot schools will guarantee scholarships four years. Not all do though.

10. T.J.

music and baseball.

It would end up every school wanting to adopt the pay model, if these were the options. The best players would have no incentive to join smaller schools then. And ALL the schools want to make money, so they'd want to get those better players and compete in the tournament.

11. Michael Schmidt

You'd be surprised at how many would stay in the current system. Most state factories would go the pay model, but a lot of private schools would stay, I think.

12. T.J.

music and baseball.

You're either not getting my explanation, which I feel I am a horrible communicator, or you're twisting my words. I never said it was okay. Just that its not something I find getting upset about, and in turn punishing the kids/players.

13. It's not ok but you're fine with there being zero consequences? How's that different than saying it's ok?

14. T.J.

music and baseball.

When it comes to these schools like Gonzaga, not sure if where you consider them, they rely heavily on this tournament and the money it brings in. I feel like the smaller the school, the more dependent. Especially for those schools with no football programs.

15. T.J.

music and baseball.

I did say the cheaters should be removed from their positions, remember? I started this whole NCAA bashing in a separate statement. I love college sports. Much more so than the pros, outside of baseball. Just the stories that continually come out by ex-players, coaches, etc. make me not love the NCAA system and rules. I want it desperately to improve.

But hey, maybe I should be fine with cheating. If I find the system unjust, why should I care if its being followed? Why should players adhere to a system that they feel treats them unfairly?

16. Michael Schmidt

Gonzaga would stay in the current model. Their budget and operating expenses are already pretty large though. 19-20 years of the tournament will do that. Also, in my crazy world individuals would be allowed to get paid for their likeness outside of the school. I think that's universal and makes sense to most people. But the idea of schools legislating a layered payment/steipand program for all of its sports and then competing to offer contracts to prospective kids in an open market for the big sports would not be advantageous for a lot of schools that want to promote student athletes. It would also open up the floodgates of some interesting business. I have nothing to back it up, but I would say Duke would stay as well. It's only recent they adopted the one and done model all the way. Their coach and program is prestigious enough to keep doing it's thing, plus their other sports have higher standards than a lot of other schools.

Jason Tate and T.J. like this.
  17. So we're back to my original statement that you now agree with: They cheated.

What a waste of time to get here.

18. T.J.

music and baseball.

Yea, the not being able to capitalize on your likeness or finding outside work is bullshit. If Duke gave a scholarship to someone, and their sophomore year they miraculously developed a drug that cured cancer, they wouldn't revoke the scholarship and tell her she couldn't capitalize on said drug and earn money.

But sorry for turning this into a NCAA bashing forum, wasn't my intention.

19. T.J.

music and baseball.

To be fair, I never disagreed with you. ;-)

20. Michael Schmidt

The NCAA sucks for many reasons, but I think a lot of it has to do with being heavily understaffed for the "cases" they investigate. And because they are stuck in the middle of schools walking the right rope and the cheaters, it's hard to effectively legislate on an unequal playing field.

Some institutions suck for the reasons noted in previous posts regarding nefarious dealings internally. Big time athletes and their parents very much know the score (either themselves or their coaches) going in and are looking for the best business opportunity. They don't really care about the school until their kid gets injured or isn't good enough to play. It's a pretty messy industry haha.

21. T.J.

music and baseball.

Yea, its pretty shitty and tough to regulate. Have you seen the documentary, on Netflix, called Schooled: The Price of College Sports? Or this:

I really enjoy the smaller school stories, like FGCU, VCU, and Gonzaga. I enjoyed watching Gonzaga tonight and would have enjoyed them winning. I wonder what system could be adopted for them to still be good, because I don't want them to disappear, even though they are probably the biggest winners of the current system.

22. Michael Schmidt

I still need to see that doc. I have seen At All Costs on Netflix that really tracks the AAU hoops circuit. I will check out both of your recs.

The nice thing about basketball for the "small school" is that supply is on their side. Between limited roster sizes and only a few one and dones bc of various NBA restrictions, there will always be good talent available for the smaller schools. You see it now with the talent gaps not so large after a handful of players. If one mid tier three or four star wants to take a pay day to sit bench at UNC that's fine for every small school. They will find one that wants to play and understands they will need their college degree.

Football has its balancing aspect for "small schools" via the 3 year rule. The supply is not as deep because of roster sizes, but the fact that you have to be at a school for three years does change the landscape a lot.

T.J. likes this.
  23. T.J.

music and baseball.

I am not as optimistic as you are for the smaller schools. I think in pay models, instead of these competitive small schools, the talent will flood into the bottom tier power conference teams because they would get paid more closely. That's because these power-5 schools share revenues with the UNC, Kansas, and UCLA type teams, teams like Clemson, Nebraska, and Oregon State will get better and the ones outside will deflate some. Now this is all dependent on the type of system, of course. You could have the NCAA place a cap, or price ceiling per student, or something along those lines.

Yea, football is a different animal. The eligibility for pro-sports is ridiculous. Its pretty much a free farm system for the teams. These players have to play a year or three without a paycheck and risk injury that could take away their playing career. I hope it gets improved quickly. I think it could even surprise everyone and improve the game. There would be less one-and-dones, that's for sure. lol

24. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

25. Mr. Serotonin likes this.